Dartmouth Subways have another phenome on their hands...

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Steven Anthony who played for Holderness prep school last year is going to play for the storied Dartmouth Subways Major Midget in Nova Scotia. Dartmouth is where Sidney Crosby got his start as a 14 year old. Steve Anthony is 15, he got the special exception rule like Crosby did to play Maritime Major Midget a year early but Anthony up and went to the USA, but he is back now.

Anthony has been slated to be the next Sidney Crosby. Here is how they stack up:

-Crosby lead Bantam in scoring as a 13 year old with 200 points.
-Anthony lead Bantam in scoring as a 13 year old with over 160 points (Maritime hockey when Crosby played there was a bit thiner in talent than even now)

-Crosby played Major Midget at 14 and lead the Midget in scoring with 193 points
- Anthony played Varsity prep at 14 for Holderness (like playing a little above Jr. A) he averaged a point per game there.

-Anthony is 6'02/1

-Anthony will be playing for Dartmouth next year and is expected to dominate the league almost the way Crosby did...though Crosby was a year younger, Anthony is suppose to have the same traits as Crosby with the ability of making his linemates and team better. He has that 6th sense out there, he is versitial (plays finessee and power forward).

-Anthony could have had special excpetion into the QMJHL this year as a 15 year old, but decided to play one more year below to better his skills.

-He is expected to be the 1st overall pick in the 2007 QMJHL draft.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I've heard very good things about this kid. His game seems similar to Crosby but he's not quite as explosive, but he's bigger. He could be a really good one and I look forward to seeing him play soon.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crosby was playing against guys 15 years old to 17 years old when he scored 193 points as a 14 year old.

Anthony was 14 years old playing against guys 16 to 18 years old. Anthony wasn't getting the ice time Crosby had in Dartmouth either. Crosby was on the 1st line + power play and PK. Anthony was on the 2nd line to 3rd line for Holderness and played spot duty on the special teams because of how young he was.

Crosby played AAA then.

Anthony played somthing = to Jr. A

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I am not saying Steven Anthony is ALA Crosby...but he might not be far off. Who knows what the future has for him, he certainly has the talent to possibly give John Tavares a run in 2009. John Tavares is getting all the hype rihgt now because he plays OHL, but just like Jason Spezza in his draft year there could be that Kovalchuk that could sneak up and over take your rains...and that could just be Steven Anthony to John Tavares come that draft.

I remember when people were calling me nuts for hyping Crosby saying he is a Maritime player scoring in a watered down league, his points mean nothing waite till he plays real stars...well I think Crosby did well for himself now.

badrobot101

Jan 16, 2006
Toronto
BigE said:
Ramp up the hype machine! :(

I wouldn't call it hype. Just dudes passing on their thoughts to the rest of us, like everything else on these boards.

I've heard of Steve Anthony, but I wasn't aware re: the information divulged above. I thank moosefan and the other posters for bringing this into the public mart of ideas.

It would be interesting if Rimouski was still a bottom dweller in the 2006-07 Q season, and if they had the first overall pick that summer. It could make Anthony part of a progression of stars in the Oceanic's history: Lecavalier, Richards, Crosby, ?.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
Kyleman said:
That's ridiculous. Prep hockey in the States is no where close to Jr. A calibre.
I was about to say that too...that's absurd to say Prep school hockey is anywhere near Junior A. Kids go to prep school so they can PLAY juniors or college.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
So it's Steven Anthony vs. John Tavares for the next few years? They're in the same draft class, no?

AgentNaslund*

clay said:
In case you didn't know, Junior A is about 100 times harder than major midget.

ding ding ding!!

on top of that. Junior A is the highest a player can go, before they go to a leauge like BCHL or something. correct me if im wrong.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Tavares>Him

not only can John score huge amounts of points in the OHL as a 15 year old...he can somehow travel in Oshawa. That alone makes him super human, Oshawa has the most ****ed up streets in the world.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Le Golie said:
Midget is very different than a league that is better than Jr A.
Perhaps in Quebec, but not in the Maritimes. There are more overagers (20 year olds) in the Maritime Junior A League than in any other junior league in Canada or the U.S. It tends to cater to the former major junior guys who want to play one more year of junior or the guys who come down here to attend one of our many universities. It is not nearly as much of a developmental league as other junior A loops, nor does it cater to young guys looking for scholarships to U.S. schools.

I'm not saying this is official league policy or anything, that's just the way it's worked out numbers wise. I've always thought the league should do something to reverse that trend though.

This is important to remember for anyone in the Maritimes making comments about junior A -- it's not the same hockey as in other parts of NA. Also, people outside the Maritimes should remember this too when a Maritimeer makes a comment about junior A here.

Last edited:

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
AgentNaslund said:
on top of that. Junior A is the highest a player can go, before they go to a leauge like BCHL or something. correct me if im wrong.

The BCHL, AJHL, OPJAHL etc. is all Junior A. Major Junior (the CHL) would be the next step.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Scribe said:
Perhaps in Quebec, but not in the Maritimes. There are more overagers (20 year olds) in the Maritime Junior A League than in any other junior league in Canada or the U.S. It tends to cater to the former major junior guys who want to play one more year of junior or the guys who come down here to attend one of our many universities. It is not nearly as much of a developmental league as other junior A loops, nor does it cater to young guys looking for scholarships to U.S. schools.

I'm not saying this is official league policy or anything, that's just the way it's worked out numbers wise. I've always thought the league should do something to reverse that trend though.

This is important to remember for anyone in the Maritimes making comments about junior A -- it's not the same hockey as in other parts of NA. Also, people outside the Maritimes should remember this too when a Maritimeer makes a comment about junior A here.

I think my poor wording made you read it wrong. I was saying that a league that is 'better than Jr A' is much better hockey than Midget.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad