News Article: Darryl Sutter on the shortened NHL season

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
An interview with Sutter in the Times today:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-kings-sutter-20130110-10,0,5584226.story

In noted that is he currently the only NHL coach who's guided a team thru a shortened 48 game season, that will help.

From that article, this on how Sutter plans to replace Kopi if necessary:

If Kopitar isn't ready, Sutter said he might move Jeff Carter, who mostly played the wing after the Kings acquired him from Columbus, back to center and return Dustin Brown to the right side after playing the left side most of the season. Sutter also said if Simon Gagne is 100% after missing much of last season because of a concussion and Dustin Penner is in shape, the Kings will have a good deal of flexibility.

KingKopitar11*

An interview with Sutter in the Times today:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-kings-sutter-20130110-10,0,5584226.story

In noted that is he currently the only NHL coach who's guided a team thru a shortened 48 game season, that will help.

From that article, this on how Sutter plans to replace Kopi if necessary:

What why move brown to right wing?? That makes no sense, If you want him lethal you keep him left wtf? Make someone else take right not your first line player.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
What why move brown to right wing?? That makes no sense, If you want him lethal you keep him left wtf? Make someone else take right not your first line player.

Agree, Brown is not the same player when playing RW. In fact, when he's playing RW, he's the kind of player you wouldn't mind seeing traded at the deadline.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

It's due to the Kings having to use Jeff Carter at center if Kopitar is going to miss games. That leaves a hole on RW and the Kings don't have any other options on RW aside from Justin Williams. Trevor Lewis is better suited as the 3rd line RW and Jordan Nolan (or Westgarth, hopefully Nolan) should be the 4th line RWs.

They'll probably get the lines back to how they were during the playoffs once Kopitar gets back.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I'd prefer to see the Kings leave that second line intact, and just move Lewis up into Kopitar's spot until he comes back. When Kopi went down a couple years ago, Lewis moved up and did an admirable job. He's not a top-6 guy, but he's shown time and time again that he knows how to elevate his game when needed. It minimizes juggling of lines, and going Lewis-Richards-Stoll-Frasier down the middle for a week or so isn't going to kill the team. One thing I absolutely wouldn't do is move Brown back to the other side.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I believe the position Brown plays is not relevant. If he plays like post-trade deadline Brown, he will be dangerous from either side. On the other hand Gagne and Penner are both longtime LWs and I feel good with having those two guys, healthy and in shape, being my 1-2 on the left side for Cup-contender team.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I like Brown at LW, but he can play both.

Brown has scored 30g from the right side. He is not completely terrible from RW.

It's Brown's natural position.

Not having Willie Mitchell is a bigger concern. Cause apparently no one has any confidence in the Kings other Defensive players.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I like Brown at LW, but he can play both.

Brown has scored 30g from the right side. He is not completely terrible from RW.

It's Brown's natural position.

Not having Willie Mitchell is a bigger concern. Cause apparently no one has any confidence in the Kings other Defensive players.

That is a bigger concern.

We have lots of flexibility in both our bottom and top six but we are just a bit thin on defense.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Of course Mitchel is irreplaceable but Greene should be capable of playing top 4 minutes...c'mon. He already did when he came here.

We all think the Kings have one of the top defenses in the league. Now we are suddenly thin on defense and both Martinez and Greene are not good enough...

This is Hickey's moment, 10-12 minutes a game.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
We are going to be fine for a short stretch without Willie. Hickey is NHL ready and while he will need to adjust (no calling for his head after 6 to 11 games only to be proven wrong again ;) ) I believe that he will be fine if managed properly (which I have no doubt will happen). We will need WM back asap but we are deep enough to cover for him for awhile.

We also have Muzzin who has played injured most of this season in the AHL but has picked up his game lately. Allot of kids elevate their games once they get their shot at the NHL. It happens.

We are deep on D and A Mart can easily play top 4 minutes. He is ready.

Here comes the announcement(s).

New friends, new faces.

Kings4thecup

Aug 16, 2010
Sacramento, CA
We are going to be fine for a short stretch without Willie. Hickey is NHL ready and while he will need to adjust (no calling for his head after 6 to 11 games only to be proven wrong again ;) ) I believe that he will be fine if managed properly (which I have no doubt will happen). We will need WM back asap but we are deep enough to cover for him for awhile.

We also have Muzzin who has played injured most of this season in the AHL but has picked up his game lately. Allot of kids elevate their games once they get their shot at the NHL. It happens.

We are deep on D and A Mart can easily play top 4 minutes. He is ready.

Here comes the announcement(s).

New friends, new faces.

You can't just drop that without explaining.

We also have Drewiski that will probably be the fill in for Mitchell.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
You can't just drop that without explaining.

We also have Drewiski that will probably be the fill in for Mitchell.

Sorry, didn't mean to be misleading.

Also sorry for forgetting to put DavisD's name on the list. He absolutely is a hot topic for the Kings right now. He can certainly fill in but I am thinking that he would be a waiver send down if push comes to shove.

I believe that we will move JB and AL sooner rather than later but I also understand that we could make room to address another couple of things relatively soon as well.

We have a couple of depth adds that we are considering as far as I understand. So many options spinning around sort of thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad