Confirmed with Link: Darryl Sutter joins the Ducks coaching staff as an adviser to Dallas Eakins

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I feel like a lot of people are overreacting to this. I remember people were upset when we hired an even more hated Dave Nonis to a front office role that is somewhat equivalent Sutter's position, and it doesn't seem like that's yielded any negative effects. All this says to me is that we hired an extra set of eyes who can chime in if our GM or coach wants someone else's opinion on a situation.
Idk man, Nonis was a pro scout IIRC and there were some headscratching decisions. I just don`t know if they were assisted by Nonis :D

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
The Athletic has a great article on this - this will be a good solution.

Btw. Mark Morrison and Marty Wilford will remain in their current roles, Preston takes a scouting role and Sutter : "that when Sutter is with the team, he will act as a coach. On the ice.Inside the dressing room. With the coaching staff." But all empasized, Sutter will not be around full time.

“It’s going to be (great),” said Eakins, who plans to communicate regularly with Sutter when he isn’t with the team. “Bob worked hard on it to get it done. Man, I’m ecstatic. It’s the one thing that I asked for and it’s the one thing that’s been delivered.”

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I'm confused why the ducks would need Sutter. I thought the team already has Randy Carlyle as a paid consultant? Wasn't that always the plan when his contract was up? :D

wraparound

May 17, 2014
I'm confused why the ducks would need Sutter. I thought the team already has Randy Carlyle as a paid consultant? Wasn't that always the plan when his contract was up? :D
RC’s exact role post-coaching was never specified, and given that he was “relieved of coaching duties” before the end of husband contract, one has to wonder how much influence he’ll actually have now.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
His cup winning teams were always very good defensively, not just Doughty. Their team defense helped Quick alot as well.
Always hanging onto those 1-0 & 2-1 leads because they didn't have the talent to do any better, almost all of their scoring came from just Kopitar, Doughty & Brown as well as Mr. Game 7 Justin Williams.

If you are referring to the cup runs, not accurate at all.

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
Wasn’t there a season ticket holders Q&A event with Eakins a few days ago? Was anybody there?

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
I really like this move. Sutter is a winning coach with lots of experience. If he's still been living in the socal area post Kings, why have someone with that kind of resume sit on the couch all day? These are the kinds of acquisitions that make the organization stronger. I could care less that he was part of the Kings org, the guy knows how to win championships.

Reactions: Kalv and Dmang714

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
RC’s exact role post-coaching was never specified, and given that he was “relieved of coaching duties” before the end of husband contract, one has to wonder how much influence he’ll actually have now.

Dude - I was being sarcastic. I want RC no where near this team. I felt that way since before they hired him back.

I really like this move. Sutter is a winning coach with lots of experience. If he's still been living in the socal area post Kings, why have someone with that kind of resume sit on the couch all day? These are the kinds of acquisitions that make the organization stronger. I could care less that he was part of the Kings org, the guy knows how to win championships.

With Stephens reporting that this was Eakins' idea, I tend to agree. As long as Sutter is essentially mentoring and helping Eakins, rather than undercutting him. Sounds like Sutter has no desire to coach again - if that's true then this is a good move.

I wonder to what extent Sutter is an analytics guy. The ducks seem way behind on that front.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Dude - I was being sarcastic. I want RC no where near this team. I felt that way since before they hired him back.

With Stephens reporting that this was Eakins' idea, I tend to agree. As long as Sutter is essentially mentoring and helping Eakins, rather than undercutting him. Sounds like Sutter has no desire to coach again - if that's true then this is a good move.

I wonder to what extent Sutter is an analytics guy. The ducks seem way behind on that front.

I remember Kings players, DD in particular, saying that the analytics doesn`t matter nearly as much as some people back then believed

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
is scotty still working with the team in the same role?

No. Also worth noting that I misspoke on Beauch potentially filling that Niedermayer role on Eakins staff that I reported at his presser, I think he's in the front office serving as an assistant to Director of Player Development Todd Marchant.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
I could totally be an advisor on chicken wings.

Man, what a cush job. It's amazing what some NHL teams do to create "positions" with the club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->