Confirmed with Link: Darryl Sutter joins the Ducks coaching staff as an adviser to Dallas Eakins

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
If Eakins is on board with this move then I like it. The game has probably passed Sutter by but as far as helping Eakins become the best coach he can be he has a lot to offer imo. I also would like to hear Sutters opinion on John Gibson 5 years after the ducks kings series.

Reactions: Kalv

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Also,this guy is nothing like randy Carlyle. He's about 10 times the coach of RC

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
So.... Eakins replacement if he falters?

Sure he is a winner, but seems to be counter intuitive to what "changes" Bob wanted to make to this team. Maybe I am overthinking it...

wraparound

May 17, 2014
1 step forward 2 steps back
I fail to see how hiring someone with championship experience in a *consulting* role is a step back. If he was hired as an assistant coach then maybe it’d be questionable, but as a consultant/advisor? I’d save the sky-is-falling narrative for a situation that actually warrants it?

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
I fail to see how hiring someone with championship experience in a *consulting* role is a step back. If he was hired as an assistant coach then maybe it’d be questionable, but as a consultant/advisor? I’d save the sky-is-falling narrative for a situation that actually warrants it?

Shall we add Carlyle as an adviser too? It just does not seem like the guy BM should hire based on what he *said* he wants the team direction to be (fast, skilled, etc...). Sure it is just an advisory position and we don't know what that entails but...

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Wow this is completely out of left field. I like it though, the more perspectives brought into a problem the likelier a solution is presented.

Also I totally view him as eakins' body guard, not his rival.

Reactions: The Baffled King
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
As long as he is a positive participant and contributes only when asked I think that this is a good move. Whether you like his coaching style or not he is knowledgeable about the game. I have always taken the position that the more intelligent input the better, even if you don't always agree with the input.
Yep, give Eakins a mentor who doesn't have a countervening say in the room and isn't his boss.

Reactions: Boo Boo

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
For better or worse
Eakins doesn’t seem to have a personality that would let anyone negatively impact his confidence and approach

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Wow this guy is the definition of old school... Bob is never going to change his way. Maybe they want Sutter to play the bad guy role and Eakins the nice guy role?

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
My gut reaction is to groan about another dinosaur coming aboard, but I'm really not informed as to what the role of a "coaching advisor" really is. I didn't even know that was a thing. Is it similar to what Scotty did before (still?), in that he helps with other peripheral things that aren't specifically x's and o's, or is he going to be helping with systems related things? The latter might make me twitch a little.

Reactions: TheGoodShepard1

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I feel like a lot of people are overreacting to this. I remember people were upset when we hired an even more hated Dave Nonis to a front office role that is somewhat equivalent Sutter's position, and it doesn't seem like that's yielded any negative effects. All this says to me is that we hired an extra set of eyes who can chime in if our GM or coach wants someone else's opinion on a situation.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
If his only function is nothing more than to be a welcoming presence for Todd McLellan when we play the Kings it will be worth it.

John

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Great article by Stephens on the Athletic about Sutter and his new role. Interviews with both him and Eakins. This was actually something Eakins pushed for, in his words.
Yeah, I now feel totally different about the hiring than I did earlier

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Great article by Stephens on the Athletic about Sutter and his new role. Interviews with both him and Eakins. This was actually something Eakins pushed for, in his words.

Agreed, strong article. Eakins came off really well. Wanted more experience to bounce ideas and learn logistics. Sutter has no intention of being a head coach again. This is simply for advice and stability.

I also liked what Eakins said when meeting with the veterans. He wants to figure out how everyone communicates and what their goals/expectations are for the season. Lots of prep and support. Very positive sign.

Reactions: ADHB and duxfan1101

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I am happy about this hire, no doubt Sutter is/was a great coach - he should be a great advisor for our defensive system.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I see no problems with this. Sutter has won two cups, he may be old school but he has valuable experience. Working as an advisor he will be working for Eakins, not as an assistant coach, waiting for Eakins to be fired to take his place. Hopefully Sutter can help with the defense.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I don't get the negativism about this. Nor do I understand phrases like "old school". Heck, it isn't old school to gather input and work with differnet kind of views. Old school would be the complete opposite way, the coach is the sun king that is never wrong. I like that the Ducks tend to build a solid staff structure. Beauch fits in here, Sutter as well. The roles they have are good ones.

Reactions: Bergey37 and Kalv

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don’t know how anyone can complain about this. Sutter offers a wealth of knowledge and experience and it’s not like he’s going to be behind the bench.

Reactions: wraparound and Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad