Confirmed with Link: Darryl Sutter joins the Ducks coaching staff as an adviser to Dallas Eakins

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
sounds like it's more of a FO role and he won't be behind the bench or traveling with the team

just weird knowing he's going to be working with the ducks

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
There is one assistant coach position to be filled but it doesn't sound like this is it, but more of a background role.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Seriously though, this just sounds like Bob doing an old acquaintance of his a favor by giving him a title so he can come to games and be available to consult if necessary.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I like this signing. He did help the Kings win the Cup in 2012 and 2014. Now, Bob did come in as coach at the end of the season and was able to make changes b/c he's outside of the immediate coaching staff. With this signing, it's Sutter being Carlyle's in-depth eyes. Sutter will be an advisor, not the coach. The hiring of Sutter is very Bob like b/c Bob likes to tinker and not do wholesale changes. Also, remember how Dallas' time at the NHL level the first time was horrible. In this aspect, it's a great fail safe to help Dallas succeed at the NHL level.

The Kings are bad now b/c they're lacking talent. The Ducks were bad last year b/c partly because of injuries and partly because of Randy. I don't understand why we don't like having more input. We don't have to take that input, but it's nice to have more input than none like Randy last year.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I actually like this move. No he shouldn't be a head coach anymore but his input on defense has got to help.
Also maybe it tells the veteran players if they quit on Eakins then they get Sutter which i assume they do not want.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Sutter is a winner. No harm in bringing more championship experience into the org IMO.
His cup winning teams were always very good defensively, not just Doughty. Their team defense helped Quick alot as well.
Always hanging onto those 1-0 & 2-1 leads because they didn't have the talent to do any better, almost all of their scoring came from just Kopitar, Doughty & Brown as well as Mr. Game 7 Justin Williams.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I like this signing. He did help the Kings win the Cup in 2012 and 2014. Now, Bob did come in as coach at the end of the season and was able to make changes b/c he's outside of the immediate coaching staff. With this signing, it's Sutter being Carlyle's in-depth eyes. Sutter will be an advisor, not the coach. The hiring of Sutter is very Bob like b/c Bob likes to tinker and not do wholesale changes. Also, remember how Dallas' time at the NHL level the first time was horrible. In this aspect, it's a great fail safe to help Dallas succeed at the NHL level.

The Kings are bad now b/c they're lacking talent. The Ducks were bad last year b/c partly because of injuries and partly because of Randy. I don't understand why we don't like having more input. We don't have to take that input, but it's nice to have more input than none like Randy last year.
I don’t like it because Sutter was not a good coach his last three years in LA, his style is god-awful boring to watch, and (most importantly) because having another coach with those credentials sitting there waiting is not going to be good for Eakins’ confidence. It also gives any players who don’t like Eakins a question in their mind as to whether they can just get another coach fired because management (may not) clearly have his back.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
what's there not to like about this?

guy has won 2 cups this decade. he obviously can provide some valuable input. he's not some dinosaur coaching retread like ken hitchcock or dave tippet

Reactions: eternalbedhead

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
As long as he is a positive participant and contributes only when asked I think that this is a good move. Whether you like his coaching style or not he is knowledgeable about the game. I have always taken the position that the more intelligent input the better, even if you don't always agree with the input.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
Good hire IMO. He knows his **** and should make for a good consultant. He's probably just looking for work in the game and this makes the most sense as a job for him right now.
I hope that's all it is. I don't want him looking over Eakins' shoulder all season. Let the Coach do his job, and don't tie his hands.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I hope that's all it is. I don't want him looking over Eakins' shoulder all season. Let the Coach do his job, and don't tie his hands.

I don't see why it wouldn't, BM has hired multiple former GMs in consulting or scouting roles and thats all they've been. It'd be one thing if this happened a year from now and Eakins was on the hot seat a bit but they just hired him. If they wanted Sutter as a coach they could've just hired him then and he doesn't need to be in this spot to be a potential replacement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad