Darryl Sittler

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by markrander87, Feb 14, 2011.

1. markrander87

markrander87 Registered User

Just wanting to get some information regarding Sittlers style of play. How was he looked upon defensively?

He led his team 8 years in a row in scoring and was an all star in the 76 Canada Cup.
    He never had a great supporting cast in Toronto and clashed with Gm Harrold Ballard. Does anybody have any information on why he butted heads with Ballard.

Thanks

2. gifted88

gifted88 Dante the poet

Aerospace
    "any publicity is good publicity"

I think Ballard ran his team like a ruthless dictator and tried to control everything down to players salaries. Sittlers increasing roll with the NHLPA drove the steak through the friendship I believe. Don't quote me on that as I wasn't even born when this happened.

3. TheDevilMadeMe

TheDevilMadeMe Registered User

Awards:
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sittler+ballard :sarcasm:

Also from Ballard's wiki entry:

4. markrander87

Thanks for the WIKI bio,

Regarding the quoted, it was one part of a multi-part question. Im looking for all types of different info on Sittler, I feel he is very underrated.

5. gifted88

gifted88 Dante the poet

Aerospace
    http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=246288

seems like you can get whatever you need from this thread

6. markrander87

The problem with this is that he doesnt cite his quotes or say where he got the information. Very good read though.

7. Killion

Killion Registered User

Well first of all, Ballard wasnt "officially GM" he was the owner of the Leafs, though his running interference with Gregory, Stellick & Imlach was almost as legendary as his debauchery with Smythe Jr. through the late 50's to 72; then the handcuffs, jail; purporting he was able to order up steak dinners & "broads" delivered right to his cell. Total headcase.... Sittler's 2 way game was excellent btw, the straw that broke the Camels Back coming when Ballard brought back Caveman Punch Imlach; trading away best friend & linemate Lanny MacDonald; cutting the 'C' off of his jersey in protest over that, Roger Neilsons hiring/firing/re-hiring, conflicts over the NHLPA's negotiated rights to participate in a TV Show called Showdown & on & on. It was quite a few years before he was able to forgive & forget, something David Keon has yet to fully do when it comes to Toronto & the Leafs.

8. markrander87

Awesome information thanks!

Any link or source for the bolded or is from watching him as a fan?

9. Killion

Killion Registered User

Google "Sittler 10 Point Game" & you'll find a bunch of videos. He pulled a double Hat Trick against Boston one night; 3 Goals in the 2nd & another 3 in the 3rd period along with assists, a record that still stands to this day. He took over the Captaincy from Dave Keon in 73 (?) or 4, consistently scoring 30-40 goals + in most seasons. An excellent 2 way player, hard working, quiet & respected by all. A real gentleman. The last great Captain until Gilmour arrived in Toronto, all due respect to Vaive & Ramage. Just a shame he & all Torontonians had to suffer through the indignities wrought by Ballard not only with the team & personnel but so too with the absolute evil that went on behind closed doors at Maple Leaf Gardens throughout his rein of terror & error.

10. Dalton

Dalton Registered User

Education
    As a Leaf fan who watched every possible game during his career I find myself measuring every Leaf team by the starting 6 of that era.

Only Gilmour comes close to Sittler as a captain after all these years. No disrespect to all the others but Sittler was a complete package. A local boy so to speak who was a Leaf's draft pick too which made it all extra special.

Sittler's team made me proud to be a Leaf fan.

Yes he's under rated.

Trading Lanny was a disgrace but at least he got a cup.

11. Killion

Killion Registered User

Ditto on those sentiments. I became irretrievably cynical about the Leafs under Ballard throughout the 70's having grown up through that era & the 60's in Toronto. As mentioned earlier, all due respect to Vaive & Ramage but it really wasnt until Gilmours Captaincy that the team returned to any modicum of respectability, returning to moribund status thereafter which of course continues to this very day.

12. Psycho Papa Joe

Psycho Papa Joe Porkchop Hoser

Forensic Accountant
    Home Page:
    As a kid, my two favourite teams were the Habs and Leafs in that order. The day Sittler was traded was the straw that broke the camel's back. I haven't cheered for that franchise since then.

Sittler was a very good two way center and leader and one of the best people I have ever met from the hockey world. Just a great guy and still my all-time favourite Leaf.

13. Killion

Killion Registered User

I think there must be an ocean of us out floating around rudderless who felt/feel the same way PPJ. I really lost interest in the Leafs & to a larger extent the NHL thereafter. A real tipping point for many. I too got to know him, and actually fairly well through business, flashes of anger & sadness apparent in his eyes whenever the subject of his departure, trials & tribulations with Ballard was broached. Class act.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011