Darryl Sittler (Help)

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by Leaf Lander, Apr 25, 2006.

View Users: View Users
  1. Leaf Lander

Leaf Lander Registered User Sponsor

EI Baby
    Home Page:
    Does anyone have any info that describes his game
    How did he skate ....what kind of shot did he have
    was he tough etc etc

I have checked hockey cards and every website online.
    No one has described his style of game in a way that would please me

The leafs website is a utter joke most NHL teams sites have legend bios but not the leafs site.

If you have a old book on him or a old hockey magazien article and you see a paragraph that describes his game please let me know Thanks

.............................................................................................

I asked if anyone saw darryl play........and then I asked what kind of skills did he have........heres the start of the answers

response 1:

He had a unique skating style. Strong on the puck. Good shot. Played in all the tough area's of the ice and was willing to drop 'em. A Quintiessential leaf.
    ...........................................................................................

Response 2:

His style of play is similar to Jarome Iginla - at center though - power forward style, strong, good dish, fought only a few times a year but was rarely on the losing end.

But you have to remember that the style of game those days was so different than today.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Question:
    it was a rougher game back then and more defensive?

one of sidney crosby's nick names is darryl (after darryl sittker) could we draw comparisons between the 2 players?

2. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

Sittler was a great player. He had 484 career goals. He got 80+ points 7 times. 40+ goals 5 times and 100+ points twice. he still holds the record for ten points in one game done in 1976. That playoff year he also scored 5 goals in a game vs. Philly. Then in the 1976 Canada Cup he scored the game winning goal in OT against the Czechs.

He had a career high of 45 goals and 117 points in '77-78. And despite not winning a Cup he was still a pretty good playoff performer. he did everything very good. He could skate, shoot, pass and if he had to drop the gloves he wasnt a bad fighter either. Sittler was once a second team all-star in 1978 when he was third in scoring. Despite what some morons have you believe he was a legit Hall of Famer.

3. Darryl's hero was Jean Belliveau and that is who he tried to model his game after. He had a physical element. He was a terrific leader. His skating in my memory seems ackward, but gets the job done. He seemed to have that sense that the greats did to get to the right places at the right time.

4. BM67

BM67 Registered User

Home Page:
    One of the best young playmakers in the NHL... Also has good wrist shot and can fight... A winger his first two seasons, but he never felt comfortable there: "I play best when I'm aggressive, making contact and going after the puck." - 1975 The Complete Handbook of Pro Hockey

5. mcphee

mcphee Registered User

Home Page:
    How about Ron Francis in style ? Bit more of a shooter though.

6. Leaf Lander

EI Baby
    Home Page:
    I am looking for info on darryl Sittler playing style

Does anyone have any info that describes his game?

How did he skate? Was he tough? What kind of shot did he have? Did he play both ways? Did he have good hockey sense? Was he a good passer/ playmaker? What are your favorite memories of darryl? What player in todays game would you compare him too?

Can any of the old timers on the board describe darryls game

or direct me to cilps so I can watch him and write something

Usually you can get a descriptions somewhere online about great players but I have gone through a few dozen websites and havent gotten anything that would be close to a scouting report. If you have a old book on him or a old hockey magazine article and you see a paragraph that describes his game please let me know Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it was a rougher game back then and more defensive?

one of sidney crosby's nick names is darryl (after darryl sittker) could we draw comparisons between the 2 players?

what kind of demeanor did sittler have on the ice

to me he is undescribeable as person very poised almost perfect

he had to dodge alot of daggers at MLG that ballard and punch were throwing his way yet I imagine he kept even keeled at all times cept for when he resigned his captaincy after the McDonald trade.

was he as perfect on the ice?

Answers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He had a unique skating style. Strong on the puck. Good shot. Played in all the tough area's of the ice and was willing to drop 'em. A Quintiessential leaf.

His style of play is similar to Jarome Iginla - at center though - power forward style, strong, good dish, fought only a few times a year but was rarely on the losing end.

But you have to remember that the style of game those days was so different than today.

It was less defensive. Lots more coasting. Less skating. Not nearly as intense. But way more nasty with the fists.

I would say his demeanour was no nonsense. He was a hard working player.

He was not a superstar like Guy Lafleur, but he was a hard-nosed player, completely accountable, tough, skilled, fast, good puck distributor. A very good player, bordering on excellent. Almost as good as Sakic.

He was also one tough dude. In one of the best fights I ever saw, Sittler versus Gary Howatt (the Toy Tiger) of the New York Islanders. They dropped the gloves at centre ice at Maple Leaf Gardens and just pounded each other for about 3 minutes (at one stage they were just alternating punches to the head back and forth), then after fatigue they both dropped to there knees at the same time and while on there knees continued to slug it out for another 2 minutes. They both quit at the same time. They recieved a standing ovation. Seemed like they both landed about 50 punches each.
    Sittler was the real deal, would have been a first line centre on any team in the NHL to-day.

Remember Darryl played in a different era, and played both ways.
    The biggest disappointment as a Darryl fan was that he didn't get the Lou Marsh award in 1976.
    Lafleur got it, I believe.
    Sitt had his 10 point night, ended up 3rd in league scoring, I believe he had his 5 goal playoff game against Philly that year, scored the Canada Cup winning goal in the first true world cup of hockey, was voted to the tourney all star team..........should have been a tap in - he got screwed!

Sittler was a great player. He had 484 career goals. He got 80+ points 7 times. 40+ goals 5 times and 100+ points twice. he still holds the record for ten points in one game done in 1976. That playoff year he also scored 5 goals in a game vs. Philly. Then in the 1976 Canada Cup he scored the game winning goal in OT against the Czechs.

He had a career high of 45 goals and 117 points in '77-78. And despite not winning a Cup he was still a pretty good playoff performer. he did everything very good. He could skate, shoot, pass and if he had to drop the gloves he wasnt a bad fighter either. Sittler was once a second team all-star in 1978 when he was third in scoring. Despite what some morons have you believe he was a legit Hall of Famer.

One of the best young playmakers in the NHL... Also has good wrist shot and can fight... A winger his first two seasons, but he never felt comfortable there: "I play best when I'm aggressive, making contact and going after the puck." - 1975 The Complete Handbook of Pro Hockey

Darryl's hero was Jean Belliveau and that is who he tried to model his game after. He had a physical element. He was a terrific leader. His skating in my memory seems ackward, but gets the job done. He seemed to have that sense that the greats did to get to the right places at the right time.

How about Ron Francis in style ? Bit more of a shooter thoough

email comments to [email protected]

I will be using this info when I make up hi bio

I plan on doing Wendle Clark, Borge Salming, Al Iafrate, Ian Turnbull, Mark Osborne , Tie Domi

I have done Palmateer Sundin Gilmour Zezel I just haven't posted them all yet.

All leafs of note will be done. If you got recomendations comments and ideas please let me know.

7. Leaf Lander

EI Baby
    Home Page:
    Darryl Sittler, C