Confirmed with Link: Darryl Metcalf promoted to Special assistant to GM

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
vector-who-owl.jpg

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
that was perhaps the best advanced stats website IMO. Also the guy gave the formulas and noted limitations when doing advanced stats unlike other ones that are out there

He still gets ripped by some people in the advanced stats community for this.

Reactions: PromisedLand

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
He still gets ripped by some people in the advanced stats community for this.

yup i know. the so called advanced stats community is a bunch of MORONS who run numbers but dont say how they derived it or what could be the limitations. worst of it is these so called "advanced stats" guys most don't even have background in math or statistics but run regressions and lay claims based on stupid modeling and call it statistical inference. Guys like Mirtle etc... who have background in journalism/communications have very limited understanding of these stats but keep on tweeting about them and most of the uneducated hockey fans follow him like sheep

extraskater was THE BEST advanced stats website because it was fully transparent and the guys running the numbers knew what he was talking about and how to analyze these stats given the limitations (either the way data is collected or modelling).

Am glad Leafs brass got this guy instead of other morons that are running the stats website now. I absolutely LAUGH in the face of the people that keep posting xGF % etc... numbers without even knowing and telling people how this stat (depending on the formula or regression model used) can be seriously limited.

Happy for Metcalf. Very few in the advanced stats community who know what they are talking about.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
IIRC, Metcalfe was classified as a consultant before. So while he was employed by the Leafs, he wasn’t a regular every day guy, much like Wickenheiser’s role.

So now, he’s working directly with the management team in a full-time position.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
IIRC, Metcalfe was classified as a consultant before. So while he was employed by the Leafs, he wasn’t a regular every day guy, much like Wickenheiser’s role.

So now, he’s working directly with the management team in a full-time position.

I dont think he would have shut down his site if he was a consultant only. For instance, Underhill works with other NHL teams as well as the Leafs

Anyways

Last edited:
Reactions: PromisedLand

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Darryl is a smart man and this is well deserved.

My favourite part of this is that Jeffler thinks this validates the stat collection he does at Marlies games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad