Value of: Darren Helm

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
He's a good playoff vet to add to your team, but wonder what the cost of adding him would be. But if I were a GM I'd totally consider adding him to the bottom six.

I think he'd be a good fit in Toronto or Washington.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I'd imagine Yzerman asks for a 2nd, and offers to retain on his salary. Likely goes for a 3rd-4th... Numbers aren't going to blow you away but he never takes a shift off, which says alot if you watch the Wings this year. Him and Glendenning are very good bottom 6 players, who can play up in the line up in a pinch. They are just stuck in a historically bad Wings squad.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Im assuming any deal would require detroit to eat salary so id want at least a 3rd, hes got one more year left so i wouldnt just move him for the sake of it

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
I'd imagine Yzerman asks for a 2nd, and offers to retain on his salary. Likely goes for a 3rd-4th... Numbers aren't going to blow you away but he never takes a shift off, which says alot if you watch the Wings this year. Him and Glendenning are very good bottom 6 players, who can play up in the line up in a pinch. They are just stuck in a historically bad Wings squad.

Not really what this thread is about, but as much as I don't really care for Blashill I have to give him a ton of credit... the Wings show more effort while stapled to the bottom of the standings than my other favorite teams. Like, not even close. They're obviously in super-rebuild mode, but they bring the effort all the time.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I think for sure dallas or edmonton who know helm would take him at 1.9 in a heart beat , could be wrong
though

No doubt. But in terms of both of those teams I assume a contract that runs the same length as helm would be going back.
Like helm as a player but he has his warts that will limit return and interest.
Also with Detroit's upcoming cap flexibility this offseason and the exodus of players that will probably happen, keeping helm for another season playing 4th line and pk isn't a bad thing.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
No doubt. But in terms of both of those teams I assume a contract that runs the same length as helm would be going back.
Like helm as a player but he has his warts that will limit return and interest.
Also with Detroit's upcoming cap flexibility this offseason and the exodus of players that will probably happen, keeping helm for another season playing 4th line and pk isn't a bad thing.
Problem is we also have abdelkader,nielsen . Too many 4th line guys on this team

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Problem is we also have abdelkader,nielsen . Too many 4th line guys on this team

No doubt. But you've got time as a franchise. You have a direction your going in and the bad contracts from the forwards now start ticking down.
Another season helms and valeri come off. Not that their terrible. Then your another season off of Justin and frans then your in buy out territory when the young guys behind Larkin, bertuzzi, mantha and zadina are ready to come along.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Cap wise won't work for Toronto. Plus he's signed through next season.

Oh, I mean Detroit retains half and maybe even takes cap dump from Toronto. Like Cody Ceci for example, Detroit is bound to tank anyway, plus they're desperate for D. And if Toronto wanted to get Dillon, then it'd be easier for them to take in his contract.

To fix the proposal this is how it'd look.

Detroit:
Cody Ceci
Nic Petan
4th 2020
Conditional pick (2nd 2021 or 3rd 2021, based on if Toronto wins the cup or Helm signing an extension/gets a certain amount of points)

Toronto:
Darren Helm (50% retained by Detroit)

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Oh, I mean Detroit retains half and maybe even takes cap dump from Toronto. Like Cody Ceci for example, Detroit
is bound to tank anyway, plus they're desperate for D. And if Toronto wanted to get Dillon, then it'd be easier for them to take in his contract.

Detroit:
Cody Ceci
Nic Petan
4th 2020
Conditional pick (2nd 2021 or 3rd 2021, based on if Toronto wins the cup or Helm signing an extension/gets a certain amount of
points)

Toronto:

Toronto isn't doing that trade. They are hurting on defense as is. So if Ceci is a cap dump then what is helm?
The problem is next years cap for toronto. They aren't going to spend $1.9 million on a 4th line player. While also giving up a pick of any value that could become a second.
Helm isn't worth that.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Oh, I mean Detroit retains half and maybe even takes cap dump from Toronto. Like Cody Ceci for example, Detroit is bound to tank anyway, plus they're desperate for D. And if Toronto wanted to get Dillon, then it'd be easier for them to take in his contract.

Detroit:
Cody Ceci
Nic Petan
4th 2020
Conditional pick (2nd 2021 or 3rd 2021, based on if Toronto wins the cup or Helm signing an extension/gets a certain amount of points)

Toronto:
Thats pretty bad imo , so if leafs dont win the cup we get no extra pick. He’s signed for another season btw not ufa

Only way id do this is if we can flip ceci for another pick , he’s no use to us as he’s a ufa at seasons end and you also lose a dman so we’d probably have to throw in daley

Id maybe consider something like this

Jesper lindgren or loponen + 4th 2020 + ceci

For

Helm 50% paid rest of season as well as next season + daley

Then we flip ceci elsewhere for another 4th if we’re lucky

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Not really what this thread is about, but as much as I don't really care for Blashill I have to give him a ton of credit... the Wings show more effort while stapled to the bottom of the standings than my other favorite teams. Like, not even close. They're obviously in super-rebuild mode, but they bring the effort all the time.

no they don’t :laugh:

Have you watched them lately? It’s embarrassing

Reactions: marcmadsen and njx9

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie

The thread isn't about Darren Helm and his value? Both things I discussed?

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare

Detroit:
Cody Ceci
Nic Petan
4th 2020

Toronto:
I'm not sure why in the sweet christ the Leafs would ever consider something that god awful.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
At 50% retention he would be a great add to a number of playoff teams for the bottom 6. Good forechecker, hard-worker and can PK.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

Players like Helm are part of the reason why the Wings are terrible. He doesn't bring anything to the table that helps his team win hockey games. He's basically a way overpaid replacement level player atp, a borderline prospect like Givani Smith has already outplayed him

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Players like Helm are part of the reason why the Wings are terrible. He doesn't bring anything to the table that helps his team win hockey games. He's basically a way overpaid replacement level player atp, a borderline prospect like Givani Smith has already outplayed him

Smith has absolutely not outplayed Helm, and Helm is not even in the Top 10 reasons why we are bad!

Reactions: saska sault

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->