Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I don't think he's been as good as some of you think he has... his next contract scares the shit out of me tbh
His shoot percentage should normalize and he should stop scoring at a 3x xGF over his normal when McDavid isn’t on the ice. He’s still been very good this year and playing like a number one

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Fair point. But was he ever "ok" with making 2nd pairing $ after his ELC?
We had klefbom playing like a first pair for a couple years on second pairing money.

If he can come back next year it will be a huge boost to this team. I wonder if having him on the powerplay so much requiring him to shoot more effected his shoulder any.

his shot has clearly gone downhill since we made the playoffs, and if klefbom does decide to walk away, after how he’s talked of hoping to enjoy his kids and grandkids in the future, I wouldn’t blame him at all.

family and health is a lot more important than any entertainment out there

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
My Biggest hing is Oilers always seem to end up having to pay Market or higher all the time.

Like Draisatl. If we could have saved a million of his contract which for what he accomplished at the time would have been a good pay day

Nurse being locked in at 5-6 now he'll be in the 7.5 +

That could be 2 million which RNH could have taken 1 million of it

If Klefbom was healthy we'd be laughing having very good and great players locked in long term under market value

Reactions: bobbythebrain

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
His shoot percentage should normalize and he should stop scoring at a 3x xGF over his normal when McDavid isn’t on the ice. He’s still been very good this year and playing like a number one
Yeah I think that's a given as I don't expect him to score at a 25 goal 66 point pace over a full 82 game season. His overall play with 40 points would still in my mind be the equivalent of a top end top pairing D. I think his offensive upside is around the 50 point mark with him averaging around 40 points most seasons, which for a guy who doesn't play as the main PP option is pretty damn good.

Reactions: walktheboulavard

Someone

Jul 11, 2007
My Biggest hing is Oilers always seem to end up having to pay Market or higher all the time.

Like Draisatl. If we could have saved a million of his contract which for what he accomplished at the time would have been a good pay day

Nurse being locked in at 5-6 now he'll be in the 7.5 +

That could be 2 million which RNH could have taken 1 million of it

If Klefbom was healthy we'd be laughing having very good and great players locked in long term under market value

He signed for 2 years at $5.6M, if it would have cost $400k more to lock him in long term it would have been done. Solid chance Nurse was looking for $7M+ long term in the offseason.

space321

May 11, 2011
I don't have a problem with bridging Nurse. If he keeps up this play I won't have a problem with paying him what a top pairing D deserves either.

Pay your star players what they deserve, and don't give players like Kassian/Russell multiyear multi-million AAVs and there won't be any cap problems. It's not rocket science.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Well he wanted 8 million in the last negotiation so I’m not sure there was a window to lock him down cheap.
There were rumors that he wanted $6.5.

I fear we may have Petry’d him. Which was exactly my fear during the last negotiations.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
He signed for 2 years at $5.6M, if it would have cost $400k more to lock him in long term it would have been done. Solid chance Nurse was looking for $7M+ long term in the offseason.

LENGTH: 2 YEARS
EXPIRY STATUS: RFA
SIGNING TEAM:Edmonton Oilers
VALUE: $6,400,000
SIGNING DATE: September 17, 2018

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Nurse is a Norris finalist if he keeps this up. Hedman is having a phenomenal year, so I think he wins the Norris.

Other than Hedman which defenceman is having a better year than Nurse?

Some guys are just better than nurse by default. Josi....Jones....slavin etc.

Nurse will be hard pressed to win anything as the plebs will argue he is getting McDavid boost.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Playing great. No complaints.

But his stint w/ Bear or any other dman for that matter isn't close to what he looks like right now.
Tipp has him and Barrie playing the majority of their minutes w/ McD, and then Drai.
Hopefully this top pairing hype doesn't carry on into his contract, cuz his #s with harder minutes aren't as favorable

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Some guys are just better than nurse by default. Josi....Jones....slavin etc.

Sure, but are they having career years?

I really hope Nurse can keep it up for the rest of the season. They Oilers reach the midway point of the season on March 10th so keeping up this level of play is possible if he doesn't burn out playing too much.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I don't know if I should be surprised that there's been more recent talk in the Brandon Manning Player Discussion thread than about a defender who has 16 points in his last 17 games. Seems like when Nurse wasn't getting special teams/1st pairing minutes, everybody was happy to call out his lack of IQ. Now that he's showing top end results, not a peep?

I'm happy to say I personally was wrong about Darnell's ceiling. 17 games isn't a fluke. The scary thing is, he still has growth potential at both ends of the ice.

I liked Nurse when he was drafted . I started to sour on him and his rumoured contract demands . I was one of the ones wanting to trade him . I did not buy into the argument he still has untapped potential . I was wrong . Pay the man . Can I please have some kind of dipping sauce for my crow ? Oh and it is 20 games now or 37% of the season ...not my math read it on HF somewhere

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Will be very interested to see the next contract. Add me to the list of crow eaters for how he's played this season.

If he plays as well as he has this season for the balance of the rest of this year and next, we will be looking at a very large deal for him. (7mx6)? He probably asks for more.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Playing great. No complaints.

But his stint w/ Bear or any other dman for that matter isn't close to what he looks like right now.
Tipp has him and Barrie playing the majority of their minutes w/ McD, and then Drai.
Hopefully this top pairing hype doesn't carry on into his contract, cuz his #s with harder minutes aren't as favorable
His inflated point totals actually come from his insanely lucky scoring when McDavid isn’t on the ice.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I'm loving how Nurse is playing, he's looking like a SUREFIRE #2/#3D. Problem is.. can you afford to pay a guy like that $7+ x 5-6 years though? I'm not sure. I don't think we have a choice given Klef's health situation and likely never being the same guy again.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Nurse has been on a uphill trajectory his whole career. Hes been our best D for about 3 seasons now.

Anyone still doubting just doesnt get it.

This isn't true. Adam Larsson was better at first and in the playoffs.
Klefbom was better when 100% healthy

Reactions: Oilhawks

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
You won't be popular, but you're right.

It screams Jacob Trouba contract.

But as I said in the rumours thread - if you don't extend him, you're screwed. If you do...you're screwed.

Klefbom injury put the team in a real bind.

And if he signs for less than what you believe, then are we screwed? No. Only the haters will be

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad