Injury Report: Darnell Nurse |UPDATE-4/8/16 Nurse Back at Practice|

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Did he have surgery? I didn't hear anything yesterday so I'm surprised to read this in here. Hopefully it's a minor surgery if he had one, yikes.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Seems odd to me that some random twitter guy with a few hundred followers is the only person who has said anything about it. Maybe this dude just made it up?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I saw a tweet earlier that someone saw him at the U of A hospital, but again its from a random oiler fan. I'll try and find it. No idea what the actual situation is.

Edit:

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
No idea what Nurse's situation is but, if it means anything, yeah, there's a few things that could go wrong from a puck in the throat.

Myself, as a 20 something player, got hit and it broke my hyoid bone(for relevance, when people are strangled, this is usually the bone that's broken). I didn't have surgery (doctor said it was 'too tricky') but should have. 35 years later I still have problems when the piece that's broken 'pops out of place'.

Anyway, we have no idea what Nurse's issue is..just thought I'd share about the 'possible' consequences with hits to the throat.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
No idea what Nurse's situation is but, if it means anything, yeah, there's a few things that could go wrong from a puck in the throat.

Myself, as a 20 something player, got hit and it broke my hyoid bone(for relevance, when people are strangled, this is usually the bone that's broken). I didn't have surgery (doctor said it was 'too tricky') but should have. 35 years later I still have problems when the piece that's broken 'pops out of place'.

Anyway, we have no idea what Nurse's issue is..just thought I'd share about the 'possible' consequences with hits to the throat.

I don't know if I really want to know, but I'm going to ask anyway. When it pops out of place what is it like? Do you start having problems breathing?

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I'd be okay with him sitting the game out if he has to. I am so hoping the Oilers fix the blueline next year so that he can play less minutes and gain some confidence back.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
There's a part of me that hopes he does have a total badass sounding voice now. No other complications of course, he would just be the scariest player in the league

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
I assume it was dental surgery and nothing jaw/throat related for him to be back so soon.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
That sucks, I was looking forward to more hf boards prognosticating and medical diagnoses based on personal experience.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
There's a part of me that hopes he does have a total badass sounding voice now. No other complications of course, he would just be the scariest player in the league

What would be a badass sounding voice? Hugo Weaving Megatron? Batman?:laugh:

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I don't know if I really want to know, but I'm going to ask anyway. When it pops out of place what is it like? Do you start having problems breathing?

Breathing is fine.

It hurts like a bugger though...face feels kind of numb. Can't swallow without a lot of pain so usually don't eat or drink..for however long it stays out.

Most times it will go back in place over night when the muscles relax. Can't lie flat though so have to sleep in a semi-prone position. Miserable until that time.

Asked about having it fixed/removed but at this stage doc says it's too risky. Would have been better to repair it when it happened. Wish I had known and would have insisted on it at the time.

Sorry to go off target. Hopefully it's nothing like that for Darnell.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Maybe a mod or the OP can edit that original tweet out. No sense getting people nervous about a surgery that didn't even happen.

Just some random insider wannabe making crap up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad