Player Discussion Darnell Nurse - To bridge or not to bridge, that is the question.

What do you do with Nurse's contract?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The Pouliot buyout was likely an inevitability. It didn't need to happen last summer, but it would have needed to happen this summer. The real problem with buying Pouliot last summer opposed to this summer is that we're now going to have that buy-out for an extra season. If we bought him out this summer we'd have had 1.3M in dead space this season and next. But because we bought him out last season it extends an extra season. And we didn't use the savings last season so it was a complete waste.

The Gryba buy-out is completely inexplicable. He could have just been buried in the minors this season and have cost the team nothing in terms of cap hit. Now for some crazy reason we're stuck with 300K in penalties this season and next. All to save 300K in cash? That doesn't make any sense.

Agreed, the Pouliot buyout is biting us in the butt. The Gryba buyout is nothing but a cash grab by Katz. There is no way that you're going to tell me that Chia and co. wanted to have $300K less to play with.

It makes me wonder if they thought that they could move Lucic out but were dead wrong about it or it is still in the works.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Agreed, the Pouliot buyout is biting us in the butt. The Gryba buyout is nothing but a cash grab by Katz. There is no way that you're going to tell me that Chia and co. wanted to have $300K less to play with.
I'm not even sure the cash grab thing makes much sense... Katz has shown no qualms in spending dollars. He paid Mark Fayne $7M to play in the minors over the past 2 seasons. In the grand scheme of a billionaire owner, it would be bizarre to penny pinch on this particular case, but basically no where else ever when it comes to paying players on this roster.

Not to say I have a better reason though. It makes no sense to me. I think the reason that Chia gave when it happened was they wanted to give him a chance with another organization? But eh... that also seems ridiculous. To cost your team 300K in cap space as a favour to a player who is lucky enough to even have had a one way deal in the first place.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm not even sure the cash grab thing makes much sense... Katz has shown no qualms in spending dollars. He paid Mark Fayne $7M to play in the minors over the past 2 seasons. In the grand scheme of a billionaire owner, it would be bizarre to penny pinch on this particular case, but basically no where else ever when it comes to paying players on this roster.

Not to say I have a better reason though. It makes no sense to me. I think the reason that Chia gave when it happened was they wanted to give him a chance with another organization? But eh... that also seems ridiculous. To cost your team 300K in cap space as a favour to a player who is lucky enough to even have had a one way deal in the first place.

That's just it, we could've retained a little if need be and just be on the hook for 1 season.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Well it could be argued the Eberle deal, and Pouliot buy out were penny pinching as well. No need for those deals to happen at the time. They'll be saving roughly 11.5M in salary over this season and last by making those moves.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That makes the buyouts all the more puzzling. $1.633 million in dead cap, that's enough to extend Nurse at $5 million and add a cheap 14th forward.

Even if we ignore the Pouliot buyout, the $300K buyout of Gryba was beyond horrendous.
Perfect we don’t need to extend nurse at 5 mil

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well it could be argued the Eberle deal, and Pouliot buy out were penny pinching as well. No need for those deals to happen at the time. They'll be saving roughly 11.5M in salary over this season and last by making those moves.
Lol, still a cap team we ain’t saving any dollars

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
It's possible Chia's working on some moves to open up space for a longer term deal. A fairly minor move like Kassian for a pick/prospect opens up the space to sign nurse to the 5.5 he probably wants.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Lol, still a cap team we ain’t saving any dollars
Yeah, the argument doesn't make a tonne of sense except for with Gryba. Because the Oilers are saving some real dollars on a guy who potentially wasn't even going to be in the lineup in the AHL.

But Eberle, Pouliot... we've replaced those dollars with other dollars. Although I guess you could argue we didn't replace those dollars last year. So maybe it was a short term cash saving move for the ownership knowing that the team would be spending every dollar in the next few years. Considering the optics of the team last summer though, with the team looking like a contender to a lot of people in and out of the organization saving dollars at that point wouldn't have made much sense.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
As much as I love Nurse he hasn't proved to be a $5-5.5mil AAV player yet. He and his agent might be chasing it but it's not going to happen. Even if the Oilers had the cap room.

A year or two from now, ya he'll be worth it, I'm betting on it. But there's no room atm for that deal anyways. Darnell might as well get that bridge deal over and done with, he'll get paid what he deserves.

2yrs @ $6mil/$3milAAV is a reasonable offer.

Reactions: MisterD

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
As much as I love Nurse he hasn't proved to be a $5-5.5mil AAV player yet. He and his agent might be chasing it but it's not going to happen. Even if the Oilers had the cap room.

A year or two from now, ya he'll be worth it, I'm betting on it. But there's no room atm for that deal anyways. Darnell might as well get that bridge deal over and done with, he'll get paid what he deserves.

Nurse will hopefully be worth $5M ~ $5.5M on a long term deal. He sure isn't now. This is the situation bridge deals exist for.

Reactions: MisterD

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Can someone tell me the difference between Seth Jones and Nurse?
And tell me how Nurse earns the same type of contract without putting the same amount of offence? Paying 5.5M+ for 1 good year 25+point LD who got half his points playing with McDavid. It doesn't make any sense to me. Am I the only one who thinks this?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Nurse shouldn’t be making more then Klefbom or Larsson who are both better defenceman then Nurse. Nurse has the physical tools to be a top pairing D, he just doesn’t have the toolbox.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Oilers can actually do a $4.975 Million x 8 year deal with Nurse which essentially uses all their cap space and requires them to go with a 22 man roster all season... but they would have all their key dmen locked up for years and essentially wouldn't have to worry about dmen contracts again until 2021/2022. Not a bad solution really... especially with the rising cap each year and no reason to believe that won't continue.

Of course if Nurse wants more than that long term then it won't work without trades occurring to free up cap space BUT I think that $4.975 million would be a fair deal and a line in the sand that Chia should stick to.

Next summer they have Talbot/Koskinen to re-sign as well as Puljujarvi/Rieder/Aberg/Rattie/Khaira so assuming some of those players have good seasons, there's enough there to worry about so locking up Nurse now long term would be a solid move imo.

Last edited:

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Chiarelli should be looking for 2 x 2.75M AAV. This is a situation where I'd personally like to see the Oilers use the leverage afforded them in the CBA.

Reactions: snipes

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007

2yrs @ $6mil/$3milAAV is a reasonable offer.

For all we know there was a deal to replace those cap savings but it didn't go through.

With Gryba maybe he's not good in the locker room and they want him out of the minors.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Did you guys know happy hour ar cactus is 9pm to close molnday thru saturday though? Jeeze louise

giphy.gif

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
For all we know there was a deal to replace those cap savings but it didn't go through.

With Gryba maybe he's not good in the locker room and they want him out of the minors.

Gryba has always demonstrated leadership qualities, so I don’t buy that.

I think it’s just a case of Chia having a soft spot for a gritty, hard nose Dman and wanting to give him another NHL opportunity when it became apparent he wasn’t getting that here.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Oilers can actually do a $4.975 Million x 8 year deal with Nurse which essentially uses all their cap space and requires them to go with a 22 man roster all season... but they would have all their key dmen locked up for years and essentially wouldn't have to worry about dmen contracts again until 2021/2022. Not a bad solution really... especially with the rising cap each year and no reason to believe that won't continue.

Of course if Nurse wants more than that long term then it won't work without trades occurring to free up cap space BUT I think that $4.975 million would be a fair deal and a line in the sand that Chia should stick to.

Next summer they have Talbot/Koskinen to re-sign as well as Puljujarvi/Rieder/Aberg/Rattie/Khaira so assuming some of those players have good seasons, there's enough there to worry about so locking up Nurse now long term would be a solid move imo.

Unless there’s other deals to send out cap, that would be a terrible move. We wouldn’t be able to have a full roster and if there were any injuries we’d be screwed.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Eberle and Pouliot were dealt because they were way underperforming for their contracts and were not having any positive effect on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad