Darkhorse Norris Candidate: John Carlson?

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
most undrrated DMan in this league... been following him and Alzner for years now and those two are as important to the team than the Ovechkin/Backstrom duo...

Nice to see Carlson finally emerge to what he was drafted for...!

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
New coach with a defensive system improved the defensive stats of his new defensemen, what a concept, more like trotz for norris.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
He's so overrated not under.

Points sure. But he is not a consistent responsible defender and hasn't been since playoffs under hunter (which that season he was inconsistent too).

He has the capability and I expect him to just kill it in the playoffs. But he just looks bored at times and does horrible bone headed plays that are completely avoidable.

Would never trade him. Alzy and Carly should be caps for the rest of their careers. But people obviously don't watch enough of him and try to tout him as underrated.

He is so underrated that people think he is overrated. Or maybe it's that he is so overrated that people actually think he is underrated. I got it, he is overly underrated.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Carlson is Mr. Everything for the Caps. Just love watching this guy. Big, strong, good in all situations.

It kind of makes me wonder why they bothered signing Niskanen TBH. Greene replacement I guess. Only so much money to go around.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
New coach with a defensive system improved the defensive stats of his new defensemen, what a concept, more like trotz for norris.

So when he played better in the playoffs in previous years than he is now, do those former Capital coaches also deserve the Norris?

I'm excited to see Carlson's playoff mode this season since he's stepped it up big time in the regular season. He's always been an incredible playoff performer for us.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Got a ways to go before he's close to the kind of season Gio and Shatty are having.

Yeah I really don't see how Shattenkirk is ahead of Carlson.
24 of Shattenkirk's 38 points are on the Powerplay, while only 7 of Carlson's 31 are on the PP.
Meanwhile, Carlson spends over a minute more on the PK per game, plays on our shutdown pairing, and is a league leader in blocked shots. (And has more ES points than Shattenkirk while doing all of this. I don't have the time to look up advanced stats right now but i'd bet Shattenkirk's zone starts are pretty sheltered)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
So when he played better in the playoffs in previous years than he is now, do those former Capital coaches also deserve the Norris?

I'm excited to see Carlson's playoff mode this season since he's stepped it up big time in the regular season. He's always been an incredible playoff performer for us.

Do you really think Carlson still has another gear left above his current play? I feel more like he's found a way to tap into playoff Carlson all season long. I'm not anticipating an even better Carlson in the playoffs.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Do you really think Carlson still has another gear left above his current play? I feel more like he's found a way to tap into playoff Carlson all season long. I'm not anticipating an even better Carlson in the playoffs.

His game has elevated to another level in playoff situations his entire career, including things like the WJC. So yes, I do.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
His game has elevated to another level in playoff situations his entire career, including things like the WJC. So yes, I do.

His previous level had never been as high as it is currently, though. I contend that he's already playing at that elevated level.

AFTeRMaTH*

Hmmm. Without Orpik and Niskanen I'm sure he wouldn't be doing this well.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Should be, won't be.

This.

Carlson could be the best defense man this year and still not get it because he has to prove himself.

Trophies like the Norris and Selke, and to a lesser extent but still evident Vezina, are based too much on reputation.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Carlson is Mr. Everything for the Caps. Just love watching this guy. Big, strong, good in all situations.

It kind of makes me wonder why they bothered signing Niskanen TBH. Greene replacement I guess. Only so much money to go around.

They signed Niskanen in order to make sure their 3rd pairing RHD would be Green instead of an AHLer.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
He should be nominated, but idk if hell win. Gio and Weber are the guys that are the ones to beat.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Personally I don't care if he is considered for the Norris or not. I'm just glad he has taken the next step. :)

Also, thanks to the Flyers for taking Steve Eminger in exchange for the opportunity to draft John Carlson. :D

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
He's probably in that 3/4 spot with Doughty, behind Giordano and Weber at the moment.

Awesome player! Glad to see that he has taken the next step.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

I think it is exactly why they signed Niskanen. Plus Niskanen can actually play DEFENSE, something Green has never done particularly well. ;)

They also have Carrick and Bowey coming soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->