Darkhorse Norris Candidate: John Carlson?

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
He's definitely a contender for the trophy this year.
Amazing what getting rid of Oates can do, right?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's usually a bit of a process to get into the collective heads of the media.

Definitely a step in the right direction.

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014
league wide perception that Caps=Ovechkin is hurting recognition of other players like Backstrom or JC...

I do think that JC is having a breakout season, doubt he wins it though, just not enough hype around his name, that golden goal at WJC was a while ago and largely forgotten, he needs couple of game 7 goals before people put him on the list

Aela*

I'd like to see Buff or Yandle get consideration before Carlson but he should be up there.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Lack of PP points and time (compared to every other D in top-10) is hurting him too much.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Lack of PP points and time (compared to every other D in top-10) is hurting him too much.

Not picking on you, but that's the opposite of the argument I've heard on this board against Shattenkirk.

Personally, I think they are both having great years, and they are the case in point for why defense is a multidimensional position, and you can't limit the criteria
for the Norris. You have to look at the entire body of work of these guys, and what impact they have on the game. They both deserve to be in the conversation,
whether or not that means they become finalists.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
He has slowly been getting Norris noise around the league. If he continues his play (He started the first 10-15 games a little slow), don't be surprised if he finishes top 3. Won't win though.

It should also be noted that out of his 31 points, 24 of them have come at Even Strength. He is overshadowed by Green and Niskanen on the PP right now, but he would probably top 2 in the league if he was getting more PP time.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Norris always goes to the most overrated player, it's probably gonna be Doughty this year.

Well NHL.com ran an article last week about him being Norris worthy. 12th in the league in points and an umimpressive +2.......but those are just stats so what the hell do I know :sarcasm:

ThePsychicSaw

Jul 24, 2009
He's so overrated not under.

Points sure. But he is not a consistent responsible defender and hasn't been since playoffs under hunter (which that season he was inconsistent too).

He has the capability and I expect him to just kill it in the playoffs. But he just looks bored at times and does horrible bone headed plays that are completely avoidable.

Would never trade him. Alzy and Carly should be caps for the rest of their careers. But people obviously don't watch enough of him and try to tout him as underrated.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He's so overrated not under.

Points sure. But he is not a consistent responsible defender and hasn't been since playoffs under hunter (which that season he was inconsistent too).

He has the capability and I expect him to just kill it in the playoffs. But he just looks bored at times and does horrible bone headed plays that are completely avoidable.

Would never trade him. Alzy and Carly should be caps for the rest of their careers. But people obviously don't watch enough of him and try to tout him as underrated.

Totally false. In your mind, the occasional mistake = over rated?

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I admit I haven't paid attention to the Caps this year. I called him a defensive defenseman in another thread a couple days ago :laugh:

Love Carslon but I want to see Big Buff get a nomination.

As incredible as Buff has been for the last month and a half, it's not enough to get a Norris nomination if you mean final 3. If it was 70+ games like that, I'm sure he'd be up there though. You are aware Buff has received Norris votes in other years though right? He just never finished top 3.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
From the games I've watched, he's been Washington's best player. Glad he is putting it together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad