Dark Side of the Ring - Viceland show

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Looks like a good slate of episodes. Grizzly Smith should be quite an episode given his interests.

ehill613

Feb 25, 2019
Just found that this is on Hulu last night. Its listed under sports then pro wrestling.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Been watching the new episodes, which are essentially just the old episodes with commentary and a couple of missing clips.

Think they could've done a better job. Think I would've focused more on the extras and commentary than showing the whole thing again and having a couple little things to say before and after each act.

Good news I think I heard May 6th will be a brand new episode featuring Brian Pillman

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Been watching the new episodes, which are essentially just the old episodes with commentary and a couple of missing clips.

Think they could've done a better job. Think I would've focused more on the extras and commentary than showing the whole thing again and having a couple little things to say before and after each act.

Good news I think I heard May 6th will be a brand new episode featuring Brian Pillman
More than Brian Pillman they are going to have their longest season yet. The line-up killer. What you are watching is just bonus material leading into the new episodes.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The Confidential episode of Gino Hernandez with the Darkside guys acting like someone was going to murder them 30+ years later was funny.

I really enjoyed the Hernandez episode but it definitely felt a bit different than some of the other episodes. I don't know if it was tone or what but it was off.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Going to have to go back and rewatch “The Self-Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior” DVD again before this Dark Side episode.

If he found happiness with his wife and kids at the end, good for him, but maybe the biggest a-hole in the history of the business. Just awful to work with based on every anecdote from Hogan to Hart to HHH to JR and others. That DVD was a shoot, the HoF and everything since tried to paint over it.

Reactions: Kaner9

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Is there a big difference from the confidential episodes and the originals?

The segments are interspersed with related commentary by Conrad Thompson and the creators of the show. If I have time I watch them all the way though again, but if time is short I fast-forward to see the new commentary. Usually lasts a couple minutes each, so it's quick. Some episodes have brief, heretofore unseen, footage too.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
If he found happiness with his wife and kids at the end, good for him, but maybe the biggest a-hole in the history of the business. Just awful to work with based on every anecdote from Hogan to Hart to HHH to JR and others. That DVD was a shoot, the HoF and everything since tried to paint over it.
It was a "shoot" designed specifically to bury Warrior. Participants have since admitted such. There has been plenty of jerks in the business. What made Warrior different was his ability to exploit leverage and many were straight up jealous. Heck, I'd wager there was some closet fans in the locker room happy that he held up a guy that fires a wrestler for missing a gig because his kid was born.

Reactions: Guardian17

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It was a "shoot" designed specifically to bury Warrior. Participants have since admitted such. There has been plenty of jerks in the business. What made Warrior different was his ability to exploit leverage and many were straight up jealous. Heck, I'd wager there was some closet fans in the locker room happy that he held up a guy that fires a wrestler for missing a gig because his kid was born.

I could be wrong but I think I recall some of the participants in the DVD claiming that they didn't know that it was going to bury Warrior. Guys like Edge and Christian.

Reactions: Guardian17

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Watched the Owen Hart one again with commentary. Still baffles me at how stupid of an incident that was.

Went to a less experienced rigger, used a clasp designed for sailboats. Just seems so stupid.

I never really caught it the first time, but they were talking about how Owen was losing his identity in the WWE. He didn't really want to do the whole attitude era and slander families or bring families into it. Because of his style he was being left behind. If however he wouldn't have died a couple years later there would've been all kinds of guys for him to wrestle as WCW was later bought. Could've had Gurerro, Jericho, Malenko etc.. to go up against. There could've been some real good matchups if Owen never died, and if he would've stayed in wrestling

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Watched the Owen Hart one again with commentary. Still baffles me at how stupid of an incident that was.

Went to a less experienced rigger, used a clasp designed for sailboats. Just seems so stupid.

I never really caught it the first time, but they were talking about how Owen was losing his identity in the WWE. He didn't really want to do the whole attitude era and slander families or bring families into it. Because of his style he was being left behind. If however he wouldn't have died a couple years later there would've been all kinds of guys for him to wrestle as WCW was later bought. Could've had Gurerro, Jericho, Malenko etc.. to go up against. There could've been some real good matchups if Owen never died, and if he would've stayed in wrestling

Owen Hart vs any of the WCW refugees like Jericho/Guerrero/Benoit/Malenko could have been great. He was sort of a precursor to several of them and I'm sure both sides would have been motivated to put on a good match.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Owen Hart vs any of the WCW refugees like Jericho/Guerrero/Benoit/Malenko could have been great. He was sort of a precursor to several of them and I'm sure both sides would have been motivated to put on a good match.

Also Owen died about 5-6 months before Kurt Angle debuted. They did have a dark match together. But by like mid 2000, Angle was the machine we know, so imagine a match between them then.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Also Owen died about 5-6 months before Kurt Angle debuted. They did have a dark match together. But by like mid 2000, Angle was the machine we know, so imagine a match between them then.

Oh yes a motivated and in shape Owen Hart in that environment would be great. A nice proxy for the much talked about fantasy match of Bret Hart vs Angle.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I know the story's been told a bunch but I'm still looking forward to the plane ride from hell episode. Never gets old.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Watched the last of confidential the other day. That Herb Abrams was something else.

Being in Canada we didn't get a lot of non-WWF coverage. WCW itself was so rare to watch in the early 90's, so the UWF was something I just didn't' know about until recently. Just a crazy story and shocking that he was able to keep it going for 6 years given that he was trying to be the main attraction. Foley did say though if it wasn't for UWF who knows how far he would've went. UWF was the first organization that really didn't care and gave the wrestlers a lot of creative control.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
So melanie Pillman sucks

Holy shit I was only 15 min in when I posted that, she might be the worst

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
So melanie Pillman sucks

Holy shit I was only 15 min in when I posted that, she might be the worst

I haven't watched that episode yet but your succinct assessment seems to match pretty much everything that everyone is saying.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I haven't watched that episode yet but your succinct assessment seems to match pretty much everything that everyone is saying.

genuinely deplorable, she basically made one of Pillman’s nice baby mamas commit suicide

Clearly has been abusing drugs for years too. Looks like shit. I know Pillman Jr. doesn’t have a good relationship with her, I imagine we see more of that stuff in part 2. Obviously the daughter of the lady that committed suicide HATES her. I do not blame her.

Melanie Pillman does at least seem like she feels some remorse but my god

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad