Dark Side of the Ring - Viceland show

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I watched that PPV live at my friends house because we would take turns ordering PPVs back then. They showed the crowd for the longest time before anyone said what was happening. I kept wondering what was going on. Then when JR first came on and told what happened my friend asked if he was being serious or was it a work. I said no this is definitely real. Then our other friend called and asked the same thing. When JR spoke that Owen tragically lost his life we just sat there in silence. No reason for Vince to continue the show at all. How can anyone enjoy the rest of the PPV when someone was just killed minute before?

I was in a wrestling chat yesterday and some guy said they showed Owen falling but that is completely false. They didn't show him coming down at all thankfully.

I too thought they could have easily down a two part episode about Owen. I would have liked to have seen more about his career.

We all know that Owen is a Hall of Famer but I completely understand why Martha doesn't want for him to be associated with that.

These documentaries are done so well.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
As for the series as a whole Jericho knocks everything he does out of the park. Just one of those guys. Excellent narrator

Reactions: KIRK

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
My only real complaint now that I watched it a second time...

I wish they would go on about how big of a prankster Owen was, and have guys tell more stories.

I heard one story that they were all at Harley Races house and Owen spiked the Chili with an insane amount of hot sauce, everyone was basically dying except Owen. Down the road, Harley found out it was Owen and shook his hand with a zapper and Owen hit the floor. Just hilarious stuff, haha. Something along the lines of this anyway...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
While I know why we didn't hear from him given his current relationship with WWE, it would've been fascinating to hear what Jeff Jarrett would've added to the Owen Hart story.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Just watched the Owen episode, man I remember when this happened, didn’t watch the ppv event itself but i remember it being all over the news, I was 8 and I was a fan of the blue blazer gimmick.

I’m glad I stopped watching this stuff, the fact that the event was allowed to go on after the fall is disgusting, I even remember thinking that at the time and I was 8!

I didn’t know the whole story, I can’t believe McMahon would counter sue a grieving widow, and the Hart family showing no loyalty to Owen is a disgrace.

This all happened to save a few seconds because the harness that was being used originally looked sloppy, they wanted a quick release when Owen would hit the ground instead of going with the safer harness they would risk this poor mans life who from the sounds of it was already scared to do the stunt to begin with. When they showed that little clip to the harness in the documentary it broke my heart. Why wouldn’t their be a back up clip?

I think Owen was ahead of his time Jericho is right, when Jericho, Guerrero, Benoit, Angle all came into the picture there’s no doubt in my mind Owen would have become a Champion.

Such a shame, all to save two seconds.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I heard a rumour that Owen was supposed to be lowered down and comically get stuck like 7-8 feet before the floor and he would undo his harness and fall to the mat.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I was watching a bunch of old school Survivor Series over the weekend.

One guy that I wouldn't mind hearing more about is Dynamite Kid. Guy brought a lot early on in his career, but turned out to have a very dark side.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

One guy that I wouldn't mind hearing more about is Dynamite Kid. Guy brought a lot early on in his career, but turned out to have a very dark side.

I’d be very interested in that. From his success in the ring to getting his teeth punched out by a Rougeau I would like to hear it all.

Apparently he was a giant dickhead. Iirc he was not great to his spouse as well

Last edited:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I’d be very interested in that. From his success in the ring to getting his teeth punched out by a Rougeau I would like to hear it all.

Apparently he was a giant dickhead. Iirc he did not great his spouse too well

Yeah, over the years I've heard exactly zero good things about him and countless bad. That would be an interesting episode though they may not want to give him the notoriety either.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Yeah, over the years I've heard exactly zero good things about him and countless bad. That would be an interesting episode though they may not want to give him the notoriety either.

He would make for quite an episode. The contrast between how outstanding he was in the ring at the time with how much of a dick he was would be good and there's no shortage of stories. It's actually surprising that they didn't do an episode on him within the first two seasons, particularly with Vice doing a Benoit episode this season and the obvious connection there.

Reactions: joestevens29

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Sounds like they should be doing one of these on Cornette instead of interviewing him for other episodes.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
He would make for quite an episode. The contrast between how outstanding he was in the ring at the time with how much of a dick he was would be good and there's no shortage of stories. It's actually surprising that they didn't do an episode on him within the first two seasons, particularly with Vice doing a Benoit episode this season and the obvious connection there.

Oh I agree! You never know what, if any, grudges are held though. At least Benoit has the benefit of the doubt that he was out of his mind and then some, I suppose...

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Oh I agree! You never know what, if any, grudges are held though. At least Benoit has the benefit of the doubt that he was out of his mind and then some, I suppose...

Yeah I don't know who would speak favourably about him, other than maybe Bret Hart to a degree. Meltzer or Cornette would speak favourably about his in-ring work I'm sure. Either way he's interesting story and good cautionary tale.

Reactions: Ozz

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
They kind of did Miss Elizabeth in the first episode with Macho Man.

I agree Pillman would be a good one too
Totally skipped my mind, honestly.

Pillman's would be unreal, guy was so loved, had his demons and almost caused RAW to get cancelled, haha.

Eddie Guerrero would have been a good one, as would Droz.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Totally skipped my mind, honestly.

Pillman's would be unreal, guy was so loved, had his demons and almost caused RAW to get cancelled, haha.

Eddie Guerrero would have been a good one, as would Droz.
I legit thought Pillman wasn't acting half the time. I was like " is he acting or just this messed up"

Guerrero and Droz would be good to. I think they did parts of Droz though in Brawl for all. I remember him and D-Lo briefly talking about it, but they probably could do one on him too.

The one I'd really like to see is a tell all of Vince McMahon. The amount of shit that guy has done over the years you could probably have a 10 episode documentary.

Luger, Chyna, Scott Hall, British Bulldog, are some others that the show could probably do.

Reactions: iamjs

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I legit thought Pillman wasn't acting half the time. I was like " is he acting or just this messed up"

Guerrero and Droz would be good to. I think they did parts of Droz though in Brawl for all. I remember him and D-Lo briefly talking about it, but they probably could do one on him too.

The one I'd really like to see is a tell all of Vince McMahon. The amount of shit that guy has done over the years you could probably have a 10 episode documentary.

Luger, Chyna, Scott Hall, British Bulldog, are some others that the show could probably do.

You also got a little Droz with the Road Warriors episode.

EDIT: Yeah, a Vince episode would be unreal.

Reactions: joestevens29

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->