Dark Horse?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
giphy.gif

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Not sure what this thread is about but i'll take a stab at it.

Dark Horses who could climb the depth chart this year:

Beau Bennett
Derrick Pouliot
Brian Domoulin
Oskar Sundqvist - could flat out look better than Sutter
Niclas Andersen
Tim Erixon
Dominik Simon - not to start out but could be on the roster late in the year/in the playoffs.

Honorable mention: Sergei Plotnikov - could just look awesome beside Geno.

ETA: If we're talking teams in the East?
Columbus or Florida.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Thanks Bobby, thread is simple, pick one or more players that will either come out of the grave like Kunitz, stop getting injured like Bennett or a prospect that will defy the odds & steal a roster spot.

Dark horse as in "i didn't see that coming or maybe i did".

Speaketh!

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Erixon would be my bet. Guys that should be pretty good but aren't for reasons nobody can put their finger on--especially under-25 D--often just need the right environment to thrive. Or they just get better out of nowhere (see Roszival, Michal).

Not sure if Plotnikov counts given that the GM is all but saying that spot on Geno's left is his to lose.

Far as teams, I'll go with the Panthers. That division sucks and if they can sneak into the playoffs, I think they're a conference finalist. Nobody in the Atlantic is winning a long series against that team.

PKV Jungle Friends

Not Growing a Garden
Feb 17, 2007
The Sanctuary
I'm feeling a rebound year from Kunitz this season. He was doing well last year until he got hurt and then he all the sudden forgot how to bury into a wide open cage.

The guy isn't what he used to be but he isn't dead either. I'll call 20-25 goals from him and some looks on Sid's line as early as...well, immediately.

Ha.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The Piece actually plays as well as he's billed by the team and not only bolsters the pairing with his young partner but thrives with hard shutdown minutes for the Pens en route to his 3rd Cup.

Never tell me the odds.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I just don't think Kunitz has that consistency left in his old body to play the type of game needed to keep up with Sid or Geno.

He'll probably look good for a stretch, then he'll suck again and never look good the rest of the season. I'd trade him to teams starving for any top 6 capable offense, like the Habs.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Erixon would be my bet. Guys that should be pretty good but aren't for reasons nobody can put their finger on--especially under-25 D--often just need the right environment to thrive. Or they just get better out of nowhere (see Roszival, Michal).

Not sure if Plotnikov counts given that the GM is all but saying that spot on Geno's left is his to lose.

Far as teams, I'll go with the Panthers. That division sucks and if they can sneak into the playoffs, I think they're a conference finalist. Nobody in the Atlantic is winning a long series against that team.

I second that.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Since I love prospects, I'll say that I believe Nikita Pavlychev will become a prominent NHLer. I still have a hard time believing that we were able to land a SIX-foot-SEVEN center in the seventh round, and a guy who is already acclimated with playing in North America.

I really wanted us to draft Alexander Dergachyov, but we were able to get Daniel Sprong AND also land a big project center from Russia anyway. Awesome. Throw in the drafting of Simon and signings of both Plotnikov and Sheary, and this off-season hasn't been the complete dumpster fire it COULD have been from a prospects/future assets point of view.

I thought I would already be missing Kapanen but I don't at all.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Drafted by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft (7th, 197), Nikita Pavlychev turned out to be a key player for his team. Originally drafted under the watch of Jim Rutherford, Pavlychev's opportunity arose when Rutherford resigned from his position to allow Brian Burke to take over. Burke, a well-known proponent of 'truculence', deemed Pavlychev "a player necessary for the Pens to have success."

"This is a big man's league. You need players who bring that type of game. We think Nikky can do that for us", said Burke. "We play in a tough division. You got your New Yorks, your Phillys, your Washingtons, your Columbuses, your New Jerseys, your Carolinas. As I said, that's a tough division. It would be foolish to think Sid and Geno could do it on their own. You need other players to help do the heavy-lifting."

Later in the season, Palchyev - in all his belligerence, determination, and (most importantly) truculence - willed the team to a championship while playing alongside Evgeni Malkin and Chris Kunitz. When all was said and done, he finished near the top in playoff scoring (24-14-4-18) en route to the Conn Smythe Trophy. His play was so impressive that opponents and observers alike could not refrain from offering comments on him...

"There is a new 'Big Nik' in town, and he isn't that guy from Florida." - Jim Hughson during the Penguins' first round matchup against the Florida Panthers that year.

"Back when I played, players either had size or skill. This kid has both." - Bill Clement, some guy who played for the Flyers.

"I know a thing or two about toughness, and boy is that kid tough." - Bobby Clarke, Flyers legend.

"Yeah, he's tough." - Marc Staal, New York Rangers.

"He's not a player you want to cross." (laughs) - Brandon Dubinsky, Columbus Blue Jackets.

"I wish he was on our team." - Alex Ovechkin, Washington Capitals.

"Yeah, Doc. I've been impressed with him so far. He still needs to round out his game - using his linemates better and recognizing the full two-hundred feet of the ice - but he can make an impact. He could be a good player for the Penguins in a few years." - NBC commentator and noted Pens-hater, Eddie Olczyk.

Last edited:

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Kunitz will uncorpsify himself a little & Sprong will be so good he'll get called if a forward gets injured, for 10 games at most though.

:laugh: @ all the jokesters, well played.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Don't have much faith Erixon will do anything. I'll go with Dumo on D and Platinokarov up front. I don't think any of our draftees are strong enough to play in the NHL this year. Or in Sprong's case, good enough on both sides of the ice.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Doumoulin absolutely

Guy gets little fanfare, but I think he has the ability to be a larger / poor man's version of Paul Martin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad