Speculation: Darcy tucker. Never happen again but hilarious. I miss real nasty hockey some days .

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Ratface is a rich man's Tucker

Except that Tucker would absolutely maul him in a fight, and it wouldn't be close either. Marchand only grew a backbone because of guys like Chara, Thornton and McQuaid watching his back on a nightly basis. Unlike Ratboy, Tucker would answer the bell against the league's heavyweights more often than not.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Tucker would in milhaven if he played against marchand.... Edwards would blow an artery live on tv if tucker played today. Tell you what, we win game 7 last year with tucker/corson/roberts

Yeah because the hitting that they would have administered will throw a team off their momentum. When a coach doesn't have it the players need to initiate the physical game themselves.

Physical play is not a flash innthe pan. It needs to beva constant presence. We don't have it and maybe it won't matter this playoff.

We'll see! I think the players we have can do it.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I don't actually miss this at all. Everyone loves Tucker because he concussed the shit out of Sami Kapanen, but that's the same style of hockey that destroyed Kaberle. Leafs fans should know better. Let that era of hockey die.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It'll never happen but you almost wish our skill guys would internalize a bit more of that fire and unpredictability, if only to create more room for themselves out there.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Darcy Tucker is an icon of what used to be awesome and also when this team into a bunch of softies. Tucker was the definition of a teammate. He went to war for his teammates innumerable times. Then I remember someone like Andrew Ferrence d-bagged him from behind open ice (Darcy dropped like he was shot). I couldn't believe after all he did for the team, not one guy stepped in to defend him. They stood around and watched actually. That was the very day the team turned into the mess it became for a decade in my mind.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Except that Tucker would absolutely maul him in a fight, and it wouldn't be close either. Marchand only grew a backbone because of guys like Chara, Thornton and McQuaid watching his back on a nightly basis. Unlike Ratboy, Tucker would answer the bell against the league's heavyweights more often than not.

thanks for the keen observation, hyperbolic though it may be, and brief history lesson quite enlightening thanks:)

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
thanks for the keen observation, hyperbolic though it may be, and brief history lesson quite enlightening thanks:)

I don't think it is. Name one legit heavy weight Marchand has not only fought, but won against in his career thus far?...

Google is our friend here....

Here's a list of Marchand's total number of fights. Oh wow, those 2 recent tilts against Lars Eller and Zach Smith must mean that he's cemented as a legit badass now?...In fact, Marchand has never surpassed 2 fights in one season.

Brad Marchand

Now, here's a list of Tucker's career fights.

Darcy Tucker

Marchand may be the better overall hockey player, but his reputation as a tough guy and pest is greatly exaggerated compared to a guy like Tucker.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I don't think it is. Name one legit heavy weight Marchand has not only fought, but won against in his career thus far?...

Google is our friend here....

Here's a list of Marchand's total number of fights. Oh wow, those 2 recent tilts against Lars Eller and Zach Smith must mean that he's cemented as a legit badass now?...In fact, Marchand has never surpassed 2 fights in one season.

Brad Marchand

Now, here's a list of Tucker's career fights.

Darcy Tucker

Marchand may be the better overall hockey player, but his reputation as a tough guy and pest is greatly exaggerated compared to a guy like Tucker.
you're like a one man Army:laugh:

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
At 1:16, that Janssen fight was payback for giving Kaberle a concussion after a dirty hit. Kabs was never really the same afterwards. Man, I really miss Tucker. Such a warrior!

Loved Tucker too, but Belak was actually the one who got retribution for the Kaberle incident:

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Well what got me in my ranting about that concept is a comment in this thread indicating that Matthews and Marner would never be touched if he was here. Sorry about directing some of that ranting at you.

I can see the entertainment value, but many on here who say Leafs need grit today to “protect our players from bullies” IMO is well misguided.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
I see a lot of people saying this team is a contender. If we had a modern version of Tucker on the third line we would be.

Its nice to see some elite offence for the first time since the early 90's but we need some sandpaper as well. Im not seeing any of that.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I don't actually miss this at all. Everyone loves Tucker because he concussed the **** out of Sami Kapanen, but that's the same style of hockey that destroyed Kaberle. Leafs fans should know better. Let that era of hockey die.

I loved that era. Its gone and not gone. We watched Marner and Matthews get dirtied recently so slow down there big rig. It's there and needs the ingredient in the recipe to answer for it when it happens. Hyman took a 2 game suspension to send a message that he can play that. Good response. Tucker would destroy Marchand every shift he played against him if it was the same era too ;))

I would rather Hyman not get suspended and the entire team show some response to the tune of " really, you think so do ya"

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad