(+) & (-): Darcy Regier

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I thought it'd be nice for everyone to give their opinions on the (+) and (-) of our GM Darcy Regier:

+
He's built a contender in the past (05-06)
He usually maximizes his value with trades (Perhaps his best trait)
Drafting has been pretty good
He's replenished the prospect pool building one of the deepest pools in the league.

-
He's been known to hold onto players and coaches too long. Ruff's time was up long before he got canned, and it took him a while to trade away the core.

No guarantee he can keep a contender together or add pieces at the deadline to help with a cup run.

He values his own player's too highly.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Contracts have been hit or miss with him, but I feel he usually gets fair value aside from the Leino contract. So I won't add that to the (+) or (-).

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
The only plus I have for Regier is he a great GM for a small market team with little resources. A team with low expectations and little pressure from ownership.

He can put together a middling roster that fights for the playoffs.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
+
He gets good to great value when trading

-
He overvalues his players and doesn't know when to move them sometimes

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Here I will do it better.

+
Can build a team that competes for playoffs
Can work with a low budget
Drafts a lot of players that make the NHL
Patient
Typically gets good value when trading average or below average players.

-
Struggles to acquire top talent
Contracts
Handling of top players (Trades have not worked out or lets them walk)
Too Patient at times
Not aggressive
Communication with players
Team building (His teams do not mesh well and lack leadership)

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
+
Has orchestrated a rebuild once, with lesser funding than is currently available
Generally a very strong trader
Generally a solid drafter, bordering on excellent since Devine came to town
Doesn't overreact to situations by making panic-driven moves

-
Occasionally takes too long to react to things that appear obvious to the general public
Tends to overvalue his own drafted prospects
Not sure he put the right "finishing touches" on Cup-caliber teams in 05/06 and 06/07
Has the appearance of being a "yes man" or "lackey" for his owners; not sure if it's a fair label, but I'm not sure how much push back he ever gave BTG/Quinn or even Black/Pegula

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
(+)

Gets good value in trades when he makes them.

Generally a good salary negotiator, though lately he's been throwing long terms and big dollars around (often to a detriment).

(+/-)

Drafting record is so-so. It's been better in recent years (at least on paper), but was awful for a long stretch.

(-)

Too passive. Doesn't make trades or shake things up quickly enough when necessary.

Falls too in love with his players, even if they're the wrong players.

Often takes the easy way, ie hiring Rolston without bothering to interview anyone else.

(?)

Can this guy orchestrate a full rebuild from the basement of the league? Sixteen iffy years suggests otherwise.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Regier....

Its complicated given the change of ownership over the years and the likely controls put on him in making some trades and signing/resigning free agents.

trades:

Darcy has been great with under the radar trades where there have been little rumor or talk..... see Drury trade, see the Brierre trade.

He has trouble when it comes to a player he needs to unload that has volatile value---see Afinaganov and Stafford.

He has NOT made trades when he is one among many bidding for a missing piece.

He is good when he is the seller and everyone wants what he has---see Pominville deal.

draft:

Darcy actually has been one of the better teams in drafting players.

Part of the reason we are having issues now is directly related to 2005-2007 draft years when Buffalo cut back on scouting. They would be in their prime.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I wonder how Regier would have behaved with an owner that was somewhwere between Golisano and Pegula

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
+
Has orchestrated a rebuild once, with lesser funding than is currently available
Generally a very strong trader
Generally a solid drafter, bordering on excellent since Devine came to town
Doesn't overreact to situations by making panic-driven moves

-
Occasionally takes too long to react to things that appear obvious to the general public
Tends to overvalue his own drafted prospects
Not sure he put the right "finishing touches" on Cup-caliber teams in 05/06 and 06/07
Has the appearance of being a "yes man" or "lackey" for his owners; not sure if it's a fair label, but I'm not sure how much push back he ever gave BTG/Quinn or even Black/Pegula

This is a huge one for me. You can't blame him for 05-06 and the rash of freakish injuries we had, but it was clear as day to everyone in 06-07 that were huge issues with our defense and team toughness that year. Does anyone remember how enbarressingly soft the D was that season?

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
No +

-
In 16 years as General Managers of the Buffalo Sabres he has failed to lead the team to even 1 Stanley Cup victory. He is a complete failure and should be looked at as nothing less, Bankruptcy, ownership changes, financial restrictions are not to be allowed as crutches for this failure.

He took the job, you either **** or get off the pot......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->