Darcy Kuemper

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
The guy has been outstanding for the Coyotes this year. His positioning has been outstanding and for me has been far and away our MVP.

He has been the best goaltender statistics wise since the start of 19’.

I think Kuemper is without a doubt a number 1 goalie in this league.

As much as I liked and still like Raanta I think Kuemper played better than what we would have seen out of a healthy Raanta.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The guy has been outstanding for the Coyotes this year. His positioning has been outstanding and for me has been far and away our MVP.

He has been the best goaltender statistics wise since the start of 19’.

I think Kuemper is without a doubt a number 1 goalie in this league.

As much as I liked and still like Raanta I think Kuemper played better than what we would have seen out of a healthy Raanta.
He has played out of this world. I think it was you that said Raanta could be traded. I wish we had a bigger sample size with both. I think it comes down to how the FO feels about Kuemper was this a flash in the pan, or is he a legit #1. We know they think Raanta is a legit #1.

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017
i was excited to get raanta, but regardless of how good he can be, he’s no help when injured. it’s more of a risk to keep him at this point. i also don’t think kuemper’s performance this year was a “flash in the pan”. he was consistent. solid as a rock. the few games he was pulled early were due to our other players failing at their jobs. aside from a couple delay of game calls, and maybe trapezoid violations, he always looked to be spot-on. he can track the puck well and has good control of his movement. this is something i didn’t see with hill or pickard. i don’t want to be worried every time our goalie gets hit by a puck or bumped the wrong way and goes down, ala mike smith.

yes, mvp for sure.

Reactions: doaner

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I’d keep them both. Can Kuemper sustain his play? Can Raanta stay healthy? Let’s answer these questions before trading one or the other.
I agree, let them play both.
Do it Ny Islanders style.

Reactions: Jakey53

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Also on the keep both wagon. Goalies are weird so take advantage of one of our team advantages and use em!

Ps- great job by Chayka and co addressing one of the horrible issues last season (lack of depth at G that helped destroy our season early on when injury hit) to such a great effect. Raanta went down this year and Kuemper made sure that didn't hold the team back whatsoever.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I agree, let them play both.
Do it Ny Islanders style.

Chiming in to say I agree, too.

Having two excellent goalies has to be a super plan.

Players gets injured a lot, sadly. Just look how desperate Vegas-fans becomes when Fleury is injured, and they know they don't really have a reliable man to put in instead of him.

And Raanta isn't the first NHL-player to have a stretch of really bad luck. It may turn around. Trading him to another team for scraps and watching him go Vezina would be frustrating.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Keep both but Kuemper is now the starter. He played 50+ games, Raanta never has. I also think our team D is pretty solid, they deserve some credit late last year and this year.

Last edited:

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Also on the keep both wagon. Goalies are weird so take advantage of one of our team advantages and use em!

Ps- great job by Chayka and co addressing one of the horrible issues last season (lack of depth at G that helped destroy our season early on when injury hit) to such a great effect. Raanta went down this year and Kuemper made sure that didn't hold the team back whatsoever.
Our organization depth in goal is impressive. Far cry from 5-6 years ago.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Keep both but Kurmorr is now the starter. He played 50+ games, Raanta never has. I also think our team D is pretty solid, they deserve some credit late last year and this year.
I let pre-season determine who gets the starters job, or maybe split the games until one shows better than the other. I think our D is pretty solid, but I still expect a change on the back end. I'm not sold on Oesterle and Bush. Both make a ton of mistakes. Gogo was not far off his average, but with his contract I don't see him going, but if we could move him and pick up a UFA scoring forward that would be nice.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Keep both Kuemper and Raanta at least up to next year’s TDL. Darcy’s shown he can pull the load and if they use Raanta about the same amount and he can stay healthy it gives Hill one more year to get the remaining kinks from his game.

Reactions: Jakey53

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
If you wanted to make move now, it would be a hard choice. Teams aren’t going to be lining up for Raanta, his small sample size and his contract. Keumper is the team’s MVP and the Coyotes probably don’t want to let him go but other teams would be interested in giving him a test drive with a long term extension dangling. Keumper himself is probably looking to cash in on this season’s performance, so does the team extend him? Tie up $10m/yr at goaltender for a 1a/1b situation?

My prediction is Keumper gets traded before next season starts. By the time the trade deadline comes around, Keumper might only have 15 games played and some are bound to be stinkers. Coyotes open next season with Raanta/backup.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If you wanted to make move now, it would be a hard choice. Teams aren’t going to be lining up for Raanta, his small sample size and his contract. Keumper is the team’s MVP and the Coyotes probably don’t want to let him go but other teams would be interested in giving him a test drive with a long term extension dangling. Keumper himself is probably looking to cash in on this season’s performance, so does the team extend him? Tie up $10m/yr at goaltender for a 1a/1b situation?

My prediction is Keumper gets traded before next season starts. By the time the trade deadline comes around, Keumper might only have 15 games played and some are bound to be stinkers. Coyotes open next season with Raanta/backup.
Kuemper is signed for next year. What happens if the Yotes believe more in Kuemper than Raanta? We are in no hurry here, so let the best man win, trade the other.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Craig Morgan had an article, a rent they only like 6 million against the cap? How many more years for each? Just keep them both atleast until Raanta can stay healthy and then go from there.

Reactions: _Del_

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Craig Morgan had an article, a rent they only like 6 million against the cap? How many more years for each? Just keep them both atleast until Raanta can stay healthy and then go from there.

For next year yeah(most of that is Raanta), BUT Kuemper will be expiring which is why I think it's being kicked around what to do about it.

Particularly since Kuemper is a 1 year I doubt he's worth all that much. And we know injured and expensive Raanta isn't.

If Raanta does end up playing well and healthy, we can move Kuemper next deadline to a team with a goalie injury for probably just about the same price as now unless his performance completely tanks if we decided we have to get rid of one of them.

So like a said a few weeks ago:

Plus it really does seem pretty easy to search around for various 26-28 year old goalies on short term deals and look for a breakout. It's basically the most effective way to find goalies and one the reasons the Smith deal hamstrung us for so long. If both Raanta and Kuemper retired tomorrow we could probably find + goaltending again pretty quickly.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
For next year yeah(most of that is Raanta), BUT Kuemper will be expiring which is why I think it's being kicked around what to do about it.

Particularly since Kuemper is a 1 year I doubt he's worth all that much. And we know injured and expensive Raanta isn't.

If Raanta does end up playing well and healthy, we can move Kuemper next deadline to a team with a goalie injury for probably just about the same price as now unless his performance completely tanks if we decided we have to get rid of one of them.

So like a said a few weeks ago:

Plus it really does seem pretty easy to search around for various 26-28 year old goalies on short term deals and look for a breakout. It's basically the most effective way to find goalies and one the reasons the Smith deal hamstrung us for so long. If both Raanta and Kuemper retired tomorrow we could probably find + goaltending again pretty quickly.

Oilers seem to have issues with that task.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Oilers seem to have issues with that task.

Is there a task they don't have issues with? :laugh: Besides gold cards held up by Bill Daly anyway.

Remember when everyone was worried we'd be the Oilers cause we're playing too many young players? Well we're not doing either one now :dunce:

Kuemper to Philadelphia for unproven prospect Morgan Frost.

Sure, if you add our first.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Right now Kuemper has more value to this franchise than Raanta. If a team wants to pay top dollar on Raanta, he should be the one traded. If a team wants to overpay for Kuemper, then it should be him (1 year contract @ $2.1 mil should be very enticing). However, I expect the season to start with the luxury of both players on the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad