Darcy Kuemper

WhiteLight*

How good is this guy?

Big body, has sick numbers everywhere he's played since 2010. Does he have #1 goalie potential and when will he get his real shot in the NHL?

He's not playing very many games...

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
How good is this guy?

Big body, has sick numbers everywhere he's played since 2010. Does he have #1 goalie potential and when will he get his real shot in the NHL?

He's not playing very many games...

Depending on what happens with Harding he'll get his chance to make the squad next year, or at the very least have more firm position in Houston.

Too many moving parts right now to judge, for all we know Harding could be forced into retirement with his MS, and Backtrom might decide to walk so we'd have to go with Hackett-Kuempur for goalies.

He is young tho, he's got plenty of time to develop his game.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Looked better than Hackett, IMO. Definitely looks like he has starter potential.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
He's been severely underrated by Wild fans for awhile but he's starting to get some love now. I think he could be a #1 goalie in the NHL.

pbunder

Jul 5, 2010
Minnesota
He's been consistently good everywhere. In my opinion, whether he's a starter (for the wild) depends on Hackett. Wild are going to give this guy every chance when his time comes. I hope that we can keep Backstrom one more year with Hackett backing up. Then AHL can see Kuemper/Gustafsson (sp?) and we can sort out who will be our starter from there.

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
During his brief stay here in the ECHL (Ontario), he was clearly a cut above everyone else. Way too athletic and quick to be stuck at this level. I couldn't tell you about his AHL play or NHL potential, but I know he was miles ahead of most goalies we see down here.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
What do you see in him besides consistently average stats? Same age, and Kuemper has produced better when given the chance.

Kuemper covers a lot of net and has some great reflexes but I really like Hackett's ability to move around the crease. His movements are fluid, quick, and athletic. He plays aggressive and is very confident in the crease area.

Kuemper is a great prospect, don't get me wrong. But I find him a bit more raw as opposed to Hackett. Hackett is just more confident with his movements and quicker.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Kuemper covers a lot of net and has some great reflexes but I really like Hackett's ability to move around the crease. His movements are fluid, quick, and athletic. He plays aggressive and is very confident in the crease area.

Kuemper is a great prospect, don't get me wrong. But I find him a bit more raw as opposed to Hackett. Hackett is just more confident with his movements and quicker.

You just described their styles, not why Hackett is better.

Kuemper is a calm, positional goalie while Hackett is athletic; both styles have advantages and disadvantages.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Kuemper is a calm, positional goalie while Hackett is athletic; both styles have advantages and disadvantages.

Exactly, everytime i've seen Hackett he seems to be all over the net and having trouble with his angles/positioning. Makes for some fancy looking saves, but a less effective goalie.

Hackett can make all the highlight real saves he wants, if he doesn't stop a higher percentage of shots than Kuemper he isn't as good of a goalie.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong

I disagree. I am not talking about playing calm vs active; positionally vs athleticism. I am taking about movements, recovery speed, lateral movement, smoothness. I am also talking about command of the crease; ability to block passes, battle forwards for the puck.

You can be an athletic goaltender or a positional goaltender, you still need smooth movements, you still need rebound control, you still need quick lateral movements.

I like Kuemper as well but feel Hackett's technical goaltending skills are stronger. He is just so smooth when he moves, when he is making a save or laterally moving; doesn't give many gaping holes when moving his body.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad