Player Discussion Danton Heinen VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
the next Reilly Smith

watch him go somewhere where he isn’t under a microscope and the fanbase doesn’t have a need for a designated whipping boy and he will be a 45-50 point two way winger

Every fan base has whipping boys.

I don’t remember many complaining about him in year 1 because he was productive.

It was when he disappeared for most of 2018 - 2019, coupled with his passivity that people started to get on him and rightfully so.

If he goes somewhere else and doesn’t produce he’ll get whipped on again.

If by some miracle he produces they’ll leave him alone.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Every fan base has whipping boys.

I don’t remember many complaining about him in year 1 because he was productive.

It was when he disappeared for most of 2018 - 2019, coupled with his passivity that people started to get on him and rightfully so.

If he goes somewhere else and doesn’t produce he’ll get whipped on again.

If by some miracle he produces they’ll leave him alone.
and if he goes somewhere and produces, many here who ironically complained all the time about him will hammer Sweeney for letting him get away:laugh:

Reactions: Lo97

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
starting to wonder if the pressure of the trade deadline is getting to him. He has been pretty bad lately. I'm indifferent to him as a player for the most part but I know he's better than we've seen from him lately. last night was maybe his worst game of the season and it came in front of his friends and family in his home town with the writing on the wall that he's the odd man out.

with a change of scenery I can see him settling down and playing much better.

mflo77

Jul 9, 2002
Visit site
a change of scenery in a consistent role may do him some good. he will be a healthy scratch come playoff time. donny needs to make a hockey trade here.

foligno for heinen

athanasiou for heinen

pageau for heinen +

derek grant for heinen

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
a change of scenery in a consistent role may do him some good. he will be a healthy scratch come playoff time. donny needs to make a hockey trade here.

foligno for heinen

athanasiou for heinen

pageau for heinen +

derek grant for heinen

Yeah. You mentioned grant for Heinen in the trade proposal thread. What an awful deal.

mflo77

Jul 9, 2002
Visit site
Yeah. You mentioned grant for Heinen in the trade proposal thread. What an awful deal.
im realistic. heinen isnt effective on line 2 or line 3. he has 7 goals. he takes up a roster spot. He cant forecheck, he cant score, he isnt a playmaker. so what is he? i prefer a specific role for line 3. a good/great forechecker. a great defender. somebody who can get the puck to coyle.

Reactions: sarge88

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
im realistic. heinen isnt effective on line 2 or line 3. he has 7 goals. he takes up a roster spot. He cant forecheck, he cant score, he isnt a playmaker. so what is he? i prefer a specific role for line 3. a good/great forechecker. a great defender. somebody who can get the puck to coyle.

Are you confusing Derek Grant with Derek Ryan? Because that would make a lot more sense. Heinen is a much better defender than Grant, and a much better passer. Grant is a 4th liner for one of the worst teams in the league. There's also the fact that Heinen is signed on for an additional year and will still be an RFA, whereas Grant is a UFA this year. A deal built around Grant and Heinen better be Grant++

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Good luck to Heinen. I think he's a very smart, talented player who just couldn't seem to win the coach's trust. He's not the first guy Cassidy didn't like and he won't be the last. I think that knowing he wasn't one of the favored sons dragged him down year after year.

I think he's going to be the next in a surprisingly long line of misunderstood and underutilized players. Not Blake Wheeler level, but I could see him go on to put up Reilly Smith numbers.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Good luck to Heinen. I think he's a very smart, talented player who just couldn't seem to win the coach's trust. He's not the first guy Cassidy didn't like and he won't be the last. I think that knowing he wasn't one of the favored sons dragged him down year after year.

I think he's going to be the next in a surprisingly long line of misunderstood and underutilized players. Not Blake Wheeler level, but I could see him go on to put up Reilly Smith numbers.

He was given easy match ups on the 3rd line hiding behind Coyle's tremendous puck control, spoonfed PP time, and forgiven for atrocious turnovers for such a conservative player.

He may put up better numbers, but like Smith it would be due to the wake up call of a trade. Wheeler had the natural talent from day one and did show it here despite his youthful flaws.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Welp

One guy not happy about this is GD

But Heinen got a tough ride here

Hopefully it worksout for him in Anaheim

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
the next Reilly Smith

watch him go somewhere where he isn’t under a microscope and the fanbase doesn’t have a need for a designated whipping boy and he will be a 45-50 point two way winger

Doubt it

He lacks scoring skills to put up that kind of number

NiftyWasNasty

Nasty in a good way
Dec 29, 2014
I will be pulling for him to get his groove back, he is a really nice person and a hard working, intelligent 3 zone hockey player. He could be something special if he figures it out.

With that said...

Zero points in 8 games as a 21-year-old.
38 points in his first 48 games of the 17/18 season. (.792/gm)
26 points in his next 90 games. (including his 9 playoff games in 17/18) (.289/gm)
Then the 13 points in 16 games with Bergeron and Marchand. (.813/gm)
Then 35 points in his next 85 games, including last year’s playoffs. (.417/gm)

So 64 games of great production and 175 games of underachieving, and still some posters won’t put it on Heinen…for them it’s the coaches, the stability, the situation…blah blah blah…

His confidence is shot and he can’t get out of his own head. Perhaps a fresh start will help him get his confidence back but 175 games is a much bigger sample size then 64, just a fact.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I knew it was time to get rid of Heinen after his performance ( or lack of ) Saturday night. You would think he would have come out flying in Vancouver since his top 6 spot was now in jeopardy after Boston had just picked up Kase from Anaheim. Plus he was back playing in his hometown with about 100 friends and family in attendance. And we got......absolutely nothing. No points, no shots, not much of an effort at all and he ended up a -4 for the night. Even if he ends up with more points than Ritchie ( which is likely ) I still think we're going to get more from Ritchie.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
...Even if he ends up with more points than Ritchie ( which is likely ) I still think we're going to get more from Ritchie.
Well they’ll get more penalties for sure - think Ritchie leads the league in penalties per minute and Heinen was probably the cleanest player on this club.

Reactions: Lo97

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Heinen would have made a solid backup Zamboni Driver.
Least we could say he finally went into the corners if he was. ;)

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
Cassidy had clearly soured on him. Even going back to last year when he helped Marchand/Bergeron to a dominating stretch of 5v5 play, when they were not doing so with Pastrnak, basically no credit from coach. It's gotta wear on a player.

Believe he has 60 point potential, but maybe not until he's 25 ... 26 ... 27. Not there yet. And every player doesn't have to fit on every team. If the model the Bruins are building doesn't line up with what Heinen brings, okay, all the best to ya in sunny California. Reilly Smith was brought up a few times -- I don't think they liked his fit with the team either (trade return aside).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->