Player Discussion Danton Heinen III

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Everyone in LA is available except Kopitar, Doughty, and Brown. Quick likely to be moved at the draft. Send offers of picks/prospects or players that can fill a gap for a year or two while they develop their prospects.

A team not named the Bruins has made an offer of a first round pick for the most talked about player on this board. Problem is, they have next to nothing else to offer. And I am not convinced the GM making the offer has the power to pull off a trade on his own.

Who is the most talked about player on the board? You mean from LA or in general?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
we have gotten our wish friend or.....they are pushing him out there on the PK as a showcase (ugg), he was also out there with under 3 minutes left in the game so all I can deduce is Cassidy has been instructed to showcase him or he simply is appreciating his game lately

Personally, I don’t think it was a showcase. I think they used him in those situations because he’s played better, hustled more consistently and has been more engaged over the last 3-5 games than he has for the majority of the previous 35 games or so.

Despite what a lot of people wanted to be true....he hasn’t been good at all for about 80% of this season.

If he keeps playing like he’s been for the last few games, however, then the B’s are in good shape.

They can keep a productive Heinen and move someone else for the upgrade and be better off.

Then again, if he reverts back to what he’s been for most of the last 60-70 games, they're in the same tricky position....trade him when his value is low or play him when's not productive?

Last edited:

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
It is frustrating to watch Heinen at times. He just doesn't seem suited to the wing. He will never be a goal-scorer (was never expected to be so its not a knock on him) and he cannot dangle to protect the puck. His effort is there I just don't see an upside better than an all-around responsible 3rd line forward who chips in occasionally. Donato should become a 20 plus goal guy, Bjork has speed and creativity on the wing and JFK has a slick stick both offensively and defensively. If we can use Heinen to get that top-six RW we have to.

Reactions: sarge88

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
Heinen wasn't traded in that scenario, we acquire one of those guys in addition. That being said Heinen could easily nab one of those guys, Namestnikov has only 4 more points in 3 fewer games and doesn't come close defensively. I don't know if he could land Mantha on his own. Heinen's production is disappointing this year but he is playing sound hockey and certainly isn't worthless even if his value isn't at a high.

Detroit won't trade Mantha in a deal where Heinen is the key piece coming back. Mantha is depended upon to carry the mail in Detroit whereas Heinen benefits from the players ahead of him who are the focal points for opposing defenses.

Heinen is a decent player. A good 3rd liner on a team with depth. I would honestly ask, where do people see Heinen generating his production from stat-wise. Will he be a 20 goal or even a 25 goal guy when he rounds out? I don't see it with his skill-set. Will he produce 40-50 assists from the wing? Don't really see that either. If we can find a team that does see him as a potential top-6 in the future and they are willing to give us a legit top six winger now, we should do it.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
It is frustrating to watch Heinen at times. He just doesn't seem suited to the wing. He will never be a goal-scorer (was never expected to be so its not a knock on him) and he cannot dangle to protect the puck. His effort is there I just don't see an upside better than an all-around responsible 3rd line forward who chips in occasionally. Donato should become a 20 plus goal guy, Bjork has speed and creativity on the wing and JFK has a slick stick both offensively and defensively. If we can use Heinen to get that top-six RW we have to.

I guess you missed the play where he “dangled” through the MTL D and was pulled down by Petry?

He’s no Pasta, but he can handle the puck fine. He’s normally a 2 to 1 assist to goal guy. At every level so far, he’s been good for about 15 goals/30 assists per season (up until this year).

The lack of dangle is probably more of a confidence thing than anything else?

Reactions: Dr Hook

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
I guess you missed the play where he “dangled” through the MTL D and was pulled down by Petry?

He’s no Pasta, but he can handle the puck fine. He’s normally a 2 to 1 assist to goal guy. At every level so far, he’s been good for about 15 goals/30 assists per season (up until this year).

No didn't miss it. Pretty sure he just went forehand to backhand a few times. Its the only time I have seen him get through someone with that "move" if you want to call it that.

So we are agreed he is a 45 point player. That is a 3rd liner.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
No didn't miss it. Pretty sure he just went forehand to backhand a few times. Its the only time I have seen him get through someone with that "move" if you want to call it that.

So we are agreed he is a 45 point player. That is a 3rd liner.

You are right, he doesn’t have any hands...

Any way, I would be happy with a 45 point third line player for a 4th round pick.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Funny how Spooner was highly critiqued yet Heinen continued to be placed on a pedestal.

Not sure he has any trade value right now...this makes Don's job that much harder. Spooner was at least leveraged in a trade package for Dino Nash.

Reactions: BBruins and sarge88

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

Have you memorized every shift he has played this year? This is worse than when I spent years defending Lyndon Byers and Cameron Mann.

He played well last night, he is what we are seeing this year, a mostly non physical defensive winger. He might be a good fourth line center and PK but he is not a top 6 forward, even as a fill in. He isn't the problem with this team but he is far from the answer and can be replaced by 300 guys just like him with ease.

That said I though he played ok last night, sorry I didn't do a shift by shift breakdown with video evidence of his play. He should not have been out on the ice when you are trying to score with less than 5 minutes to play, neither should the fourth line have been.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Have you memorized every shift he has played this year? This is worse than when I spent years defending Lyndon Byers and Cameron Mann.

He played well last night, he is what we are seeing this year, a mostly non physical defensive winger. He might be a good fourth line center and PK but he is not a top 6 forward, even as a fill in. He isn't the problem with this team but he is far from the answer and can be replaced by 300 guys just like him with ease.

That said I though he played ok last night, sorry I didn't do a shift by shift breakdown with video evidence of his play. He should not have been out on the ice when you are trying to score with less than 5 minutes to play, neither should the fourth line have been.

:laugh:

No, I don’t memorize his shifts. I just go back on the DVR and watch them when people here just make up ridiculous shit about him (not you).

I am well aware that the kid is not McJesus 2.0. I think he will be a good 3rd line player that gives you good D and more offense than he’s showing this year (15-20 goals, 20-25 assists). He’s not going to be the savior of this team, but he’s also not the stiff some are making him out to be.

Last night, I would have loved for him to corral that bouncing puck and bury it, but it doesn’t change the fact that he played well and that the DK line looked the best it did all game when he was on it. He’s snakebit for sure right now, but I don’t think he’s a liability on the ice because of the way he has been playing defensively.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
:laugh:

No, I don’t memorize his shifts. I just go back on the DVR and watch them when people here just make up ridiculous **** about him (not you).

I am well aware that the kid is not McJesus 2.0. I think he will be a good 3rd line player that gives you good D and more offense than he’s showing this year (15-20 goals, 20-25 assists). He’s not going to be the savior of this team, but he’s also not the stiff some are making him out to be.

Last night, I would have loved for him to corral that bouncing puck and bury it, but it doesn’t change the fact that he played well and that the DK line looked the best it did all game when he was on it. He’s snakebit for sure right now, but I don’t think he’s a liability on the ice because of the way he has been playing defensively.
I agree that he isn't a liability defensively but they need secondary scoring. Not blaming him that he isn't producing it, blaming Sweeney for over evaluating what he would bring this season , as well as Donato, Bjork and JFK, but he shouldn't be on a line with Krejci, they need to get Krejci some wingers that can produce.
It has been mentioned how terrible garden ice is and that did play in him not getting that shot off, I rarely give him a break but that wasn't his fault. Still need to find some way or someone to bury chances Krejci creates.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I agree that he isn't a liability defensively but they need secondary scoring. Not blaming him that he isn't producing it, blaming Sweeney for over evaluating what he would bring this season , as well as Donato, Bjork and JFK, but he shouldn't be on a line with Krejci, they need to get Krejci some wingers that can produce.
It has been mentioned how terrible garden ice is and that did play in him not getting that shot off, I rarely give him a break but that wasn't his fault. Still need to find some way or someone to bury chances Krejci creates.

Same thing happened to Pasta in his first wide open net on the PP. Fortunately he got another feed and buried it.

He’s gripping the stick too tight and most of this team outside the top line is doing the same. I watch a fair amount of other NHL games and this B’s team is just not getting the bounces right now. I see players just throwing pucks on net in other games and they are going in, while the B’s aren’t getting any of that.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Same thing happened to Pasta in his first wide open net on the PP. Fortunately he got another feed and buried it.

He’s gripping the stick too tight and most of this team outside the top line is doing the same. I watch a fair amount of other NHL games and this B’s team is just not getting the bounces right now. I see players just throwing pucks on net in other games and they are going in, while the B’s aren’t getting any of that.

Easy Derek, bad bounces and tough breaks don't make up for the many holes on this team.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I was at the game and, I watched him closely because it was the first time I was at a game in a long time and given all the crap I've given him this year because he hasn't produced any points, I wanted to give him a fair shake. (sometimes seeing someone in person changes your perception of him ---- it didn't last night, but it can)

TBH, aside from maybe one or two shifts in the third, I don't think he played well at all. For periods one and two he did nothing but turn the puck over and get over matched on the wall. Aside from that -- really nothing, aside from missing an open net that could have won them the game.

Oh well, par for the course...hope he can keep his point a week scoring streak going. I think he'll break out of this funk some time in 2022, maybe for Djurgarden?

Reactions: NoregreB

False Start

May 8, 2018
I was at the game and, I watched him closely because it was the first time I was at a game in a long time and given all the crap I've given him this year because he hasn't produced any points, I wanted to give him a fair shake. (sometimes seeing someone in person changes your perception of him ---- it didn't last night, but it can)

TBH, aside from maybe one or two shifts in the third, I don't think he played well at all. For periods one and two he did nothing but turn the puck over and get over matched on the wall. Aside from that -- really nothing, aside from missing an open net that could have won them the game.

Oh well, par for the course...hope he can keep his point a week scoring streak going. I think he'll break out of this funk some time in 2022, maybe for Djurgarden?

Seriously.

Enough with the apologists. I loved this kid last year. He showed something a lot of other young guys didn't.

This year I'm done with all of the excuses. He can have his 1-2 good shifts per game but that game could've ended on his stick last night and he managed to flub it. I'm sick of making every excuse for the guy. Oh he's good positionally, oh he's got a good stick. He's not producing PERIOD. He's still slow as hell, there are plays he leaves on the table because he can't skate fast enough. Not to mention none of the players are jelling with him at all.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Surprised this guy has an NHL job, smallish, slow, and soft who can't score to save his life. Time to move on to more talented prospects like Zack S, they surely can't be any worse then Heinen.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Surprised this guy has an NHL job, smallish, slow, and soft who can't score to save his life. Time to move on to more talented prospects like Zack S, they surely can't be any worse then Heinen.

Did you know golden child DeBrusk has a whole 5 more points than Heinen playing exclusively in the top 6 and getting time on the top PP unit? DeBrusk has two more points at even stength, 4 more goals.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Did you know golden child DeBrusk has a whole 5 more points than Heinen playing exclusively in the top 6 and getting time on the top PP unit? DeBrusk has two more points at even stength, 4 more goals.

Yes, but at least DeBrusk plays like he cares.

The whole team aside from the first line and Tuukka is struggling right now....(actually, the defense hasn't been too bad overall, but the fact that they can't allow the other team to score more than 2 goals a game because the offense sucks, is probably making us harder on them than we should be).

I guess it comes down to this.....if you tuned in late to a game how long would it take you to notice that Heinen wasn't playing vs. DeBrusk?

I was at the game last night and I planned on keeping close tabs on Heinen to see if I was missing something based on only seeing him on TV...it took until about 12 minutes into the period before:

1. I remembered that I wanted to focus on him.
2. I was sure that he wasn't scratched.

He's the definition of a JAG --- if he never played another game it wouldn't affect the team at all, and while that can be said for a lot of guys -- a lot of guys don't get the minutes/role he does --all based on 1/2 of a season.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Yes, but at least DeBrusk plays like he cares.

The whole team aside from the first line and Tuukka is struggling right now....(actually, the defense hasn't been too bad overall, but the fact that they can't allow the other team to score more than 2 goals a game because the offense sucks, is probably making us harder on them than we should be).

I guess it comes down to this.....if you tuned in late to a game how long would it take you to notice that Heinen wasn't playing vs. DeBrusk?

I was at the game last night and I planned on keeping close tabs on Heinen to see if I was missing something based on only seeing him on TV...it took until about 12 minutes into the period before:

1. I remembered that I wanted to focus on him.
2. I was sure that he wasn't scratched.

He's the definition of a JAG --- if he never played another game it wouldn't affect the team at all, and while that can be said for a lot of guys -- a lot of guys don't get the minutes/role he does --all based on 1/2 of a season.

This is the dumbest thing. 'Plays like he cares' because he looks like he is given more effort is the most superficial thing you can say.

It’s the same bullshit statement people tried to use to disparage Loui and Krejci.

You can’t possibly know how much Heinen cares or not.

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
This is the dumbest thing. 'Plays like he cares' because he looks like he is given more effort is the most superficial thing you can say.

It’s the same bull**** statement people tried to use to disparage Loui and Krejci.

I disagree because I've never felt that way about those players.....both of whom were significantly more productive than Heinen.

He's a floater, who was part of a line that caught fire for about 12 weeks over a year ago and is now benefiting from that stretch of play.

I think people like him so much that they're simply looking for ways to justify his role on the team.

Any time a smallish, soft, slow, non-physical, unemotional guy isn't producing points, his fans are always going to reach for straws and point to the intangibles (unproveables) to justify their like for him.

I call BS on anything that people want to use to try to say he should be anything other than an 8 minute a night 4th liner or healthy scratch right now.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
How is heinen smallish now? Another made up stance to take him down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad