Recalled/Assigned: Dansk Down, Sparks Up, Hague Up

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Sparks could claim the backup goalie with a good showing in a few games.

I think they see how well Fleury has played this season and last season before tiring and they are desperate to get him rest without hurting the team.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Sparks could claim the backup goalie with a good showing in a few games.

I think they see how well Fleury has played this season and last season before tiring and they are desperate to get him rest without hurting the team.

Doubt that will happen this year. These guys auditioning for the backup role next year unless Subban is out a lot longer than we think. I think the strategy was split the time with the big club for Dansk/Sparks to get them some time with the coaches and a game or two in the NHL, while keeping the other sharp by starting in Chicago. Dansk with just two games so far combined needs some regular work.

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
I know Sparky (or is it Sparksy?) has been a very good AHL goalie, NHL not so much. But, at least last season, the Leafs often seemed not so interested in defense, so maybe what Sparky can do in the NHL is still not clear.

But we gotta help Sparky out. Too many SOG allowed, and I know taking so many penalties contributes a bit to that, so hoping we can cut those down some. Also, hoping Schmidty comes back very soon. :thumbu:

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
You're all dreaming if you think Sparks is going to unseat Subban. Mal is a good goalie who is auditioning for a starting gig next year. I just don't get the hate so many have for him.

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
You're all dreaming if you think Sparks is going to unseat Subban. Mal is a good goalie who is auditioning for a starting gig next year. I just don't get the hate so many have for him.
Speaking for myself, I don't hate him. As a person, he seems like a good dude, and I'd love to see him succeed so I (we?) can quit stressing about Flower playing 110 games this season. :laugh:

But Malcolm's been consistent only in that he's consistently getting hurt. And when he does play, his numbers have not been so great, and there's been no noticeable improvement over two plus seasons. In fact, his numbers regressed last season. This in spite of being tutored by supposed guru goalie coach Prior.

Maybe if Malcolm stayed healthy enough to play more regularly, things might be different, although he wasn't exceptional end of last regular season when Flower was hurt (on paternity leave), and he did get the last nine (I think it was) starts.

I'm just wishing for a backup that doesn't make me feel like we have to score four or five goals just to have a chance for a point or two.

Sparks may not be the answer, either, but I'd like him to get a fair shot.

That is all. :nod:

Last edited:

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I think that's a stretch, to me he hasn't done enough to warrant a starting gig audition, he's lost some time to injuries, but I have not seen any consistency to say that he's been anything other than back up be default. At this point I think it's as much dreaming to think to think Subban is going to be a bona fide starter as it is for him to be unseated. I do hope though that Sparks gives good competition for the back up role, maybe Subban will elevate what he's doing, maybe he will get passed by Sparks or someone else who knows.

Also if the team would like to play infront of our back up goalies for once, that'd be a big help too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad