Danrik's GM Game - News, Rumors and Trade Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Burke

BTW, the article says that Belfour was offered a paycut, but wants to test the free agent market's this summer. The article says that he would've made $8 million next year if the Leafs won the Cup. Read it more closely:

BELFOUR TURNS DOWN DEAL: A Rogers Sportsnet report said Belfour was offered a new contract, that included a paycut, by the Leafs before the start of the playoffs. The 39-year-old Belfour turned down the offer and is willing to test the NHL's free- agent market this summer, but he does have a clause in his contract that extends the deal for next year if the Leafs win the Stanley Cup. Not only would Belfour pick up a $1 million (all figures U.S.) bonus if Toronto wins the title, he'd also make $8 million next season.

rinkrat13

Nov 27, 2003
Toronto
Danrik said:
BTW, the article says that Belfour was offered a paycut, but wants to test the free agent market's this summer. The article says that he would've made $8 million next year if the Leafs won the Cup. Read it more closely:

look man - there is NO way I'm gonna change your mind - so keep your signings the way they are... I don't give a s***, I really don't

I just find it unfair that if you have a problem with someones elses signing/trade you just put a stop to it and when someone confronts you on a signing/trade you made you don't care what they have to say - so if it makes you happy you have my blessing on the 3 UFA's signings the Bruins made :D

OK, now you happy!?!

BTW the Belfour siging would NEVER (and I mean, NEVER) happen!
I think you should read the articles more closely

Jon Burke

rinkrat13 said:
look man - there is NO way I'm gonna change your mind - so keep your signings the way they are... I don't give a s***, I really don't

I just find it unfair that if you have a problem with someones elses signing/trade you just put a stop to it and when someone confronts you on a signing/trade you made you don't care what they have to say - so if it makes you happy you have my blessing on the 3 UFA's signings the Bruins made :D

OK, now you happy!?!

BTW the Belfour siging would NEVER (and I mean, NEVER) happen!
I think you should read the articles more closely

Now who's the hothead? ;)

I'm just saying it's unfair that I have to wait for everyone to do a little poll and say what they think. You guys just hear from me "No" and then fix your offer and that's done. I have a ton of signings to get done for the Bruins, and I can't afford to be sitting around. Tell you what, how about we agree that these guys were signed today, then fix up the financial terms later? It sounds fair to me.

I really am willing to listen, it's just I don't have all the time in the world to get what I have to done.

As for reading the article more closely, I did. It says that Belfour turned down a paycut offer for next year. No where does it say he turned down an $8 million offer. I am offering him a paycut, but with a variety of bonuses built into the contract that could boost his pay to $8 million. Seeing as other people have done similar things with their contract, why can't I do it?

If you really have a problem with the signings, I can fix them. That's no problem, seeing as BuppY agrees with you and I'm sure others do too.

Fair enough?

Jon Burke

The Bruins offer Glen Murray a 4 year, $21 million contract. The terms of the deal are as follows:

1st & 2nd year: $5 M (pay increase of $1.15 M)
3rd & 4th year: $5.5 M (pay increase of $500 K)

Other Benefits: Gets to remain in Boston, where he has enjoyed his best statistical years. Gets long term security with a four year deal. Plays for a contender.

The Bruins offer Brian Rolston a 4 year, $15.1 million contract. The terms of the deal are as follows:

1st year: $3.675 M (increase of $500 K)
2nd year: $3.725 M (increase of $50 K)
3rd year: $3.8 M (increase of $75 K)
4th year: $3.9 M (increase of $100 K)

Other Benefits: Gets to remain in Boston, where he has enjoyed some of his best statistical years. Gets long term security with a four year deal. Plays for a contender. Promised a boost in ice time by Bruins management, as he'll play on a line with Murray and Thornton and retain all his special teams duties.

rupispupis

Apr 26, 2004
After hearing of the Theo Fleury signing, the Chicago fans were, to say the least, unsupportive.

Chicago will try to move Fleury. In return we are looking for a legitimate enforcer and a mid-round pick. Willing to be flexible. His salary is $2.2M. Also might be looking to move D Deron Quint.
PM me with offers.

Desibasha

Mar 25, 2004
rupispupis said:
After hearing of the Theo Fleury signing, the Chicago fans were, to say the least, unsupportive.

Chicago will try to move Fleury. In return we are looking for a legitimate enforcer and a mid-round pick. Willing to be flexible. His salary is $2.2M. Also might be looking to move D Deron Quint.
PM me with offers.

Theo has already said that he WON'T play for anyone other than the Flames....so is that going against UFA's wishes?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
rinkrat13 said:
I kinda have a problem with some of your UFA signings...

now, if Belfour, Murray & Rolston test the unrestrained free agency waters they will get contracts alot bigger then the ones they got from BOS (remember Martin Lapointe $4M fpr a $2M player)...

... now, Danrik I'm not trying to start something here or am I trying to jump on you every time you make a move, although this time giving Roslton a $250K & Murray a $650K raise is not the kinda money they would get as UFA's in a free market... not to mention Belfour getting a $2M salary cut (Eddie turned down $8M from the Leafs earlier, in the "real" NHL) why would he take less with BOS?

again, Danrik please don't think I'm jumping on you (I would've made this statement no matter who the GM was) IMO deals like the three above would should never be approved

thats the main reason a player can't wait till they become UFA - so they can get top dollar for the rest of their careers (in some cases) or at least cash in for the next few years...

The Lapointe thing is a moot point. It never would have happened had Jeremy Jacobs not been a hot-head.

The whole thing started with an owners meeting. It was right after Detroit won the 98 cup, but not right after. A good three years after. Mike Illitch said at the meeting that Jeremy Jacobs wouldn't spend, so that's why his team sucked. So, that summer, Jacobs showed Illitch he would spend by signing Martin Lapointe to a huge contract no one would probably offer him. Lapointe was a fairly key member of Detroit's back-to-back Stanley cup winning teams.

Jon Burke

The Belfour contract has been changed, he will now receive $7 million (the same as last year), with bonuses that could boost his salary up to $8 million. There is a club option for an additional year at $8 million.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Rumour out of Vancouver has Dave Nonis losing his mind and about to deal one of his ''core'' players to an un-named Western Conference team. The trade will not be announced until it is thoroughly examined by the league.

Jon Burke

The rumor out of Boston is that the Bruins would like to hire a top notch coach to try and take them to the next level and current head coach Mike Sullivan would be an assistant coach.

rinkrat13

Nov 27, 2003
Toronto
Danrik said:
The rumor out of Boston is that the Bruins would like to hire a top notch coach to try and take them to the next level and current head coach Mike Sullivan would be an assistant coach.

maybe Bobby Orr or Don Cherry :lol

Jon Burke

In Hurricane news, the Hurricanes have decided on a new captain...

*drumroll please*

Rod Brind'Amour. Brindy has experience wearing the 'C', he wore it for the Flyers a couple years back, and is a great leader with good work ethic. The Hurricanes know that he will be a great captain, and will be ably assisted by Sean Hill and Gary Roberts who will be alternate captains.

The Hurricanes also would like to announce that they have re-signed center Josef Vasicek to a 4 year, $3.7 million contract. The terms are as follows:

1st year - $750 K
2nd year - $750 K
3rd year - $1 M
4th year - $1.2 M

The Hurricanes also re-signed Allan Rourke to a two way deal, but seeing as he is scheduled to play in the minors, his contract information is not necessary to reveal.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
Danrik said:
Add in the CBA confusion and I don't see anyone offering these guys ridiculous contracts as you seem to have indicated they will get. Now I have no problem hearing what you think is fair offers, because yeah well, someone has to keep me accountable.

Re: All the signings

One thing I notice is that a lot of the good players are signing contracts. While it's not unheard of for players to forgo UFA status, I've never seen a summer where basically all of the high profile UFAs forgo free agency to sign a new deal with a team. Some of these players would get bid up in price.

The CBA also doesn't apply in this league. By setting a cap of $55 million, you've raised the collective salary amount of the league.
Going by USAToday , only 6 teams had salaries of over $55 million. In this environment good players get big raises. Why would a player like Turner Stevenson sign for relatively the same money? Teams looking for a big winger would likely offer him $2-3 million a year.

In the rosters thread, Washington is at something like $25 million in salary - $30 million of cap space left! Players could go to Washington for huge dollars or use them as leverage to extract more money from the teams they really wanted to sign with.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The Ducks are really interested in acquiring a first round pick, in the 10-15 area. Assets such as Mike Leclerc are always available for packaging, but now prospect Corey Perry is available as well, for that rebuilding team. He's got good talent, but we're looking for more of a gritty player that we could hope to draft around then, instead of a scoring player like Perry. Arguably, he's more talented than some of the players that would be available around then.

Also, I'm here to announce that I will greatly consider every offer I receive, for any of my players. I'm looking to see if I can upgrade my team, or just be better prepared for the future. Try not to be dumb and offer something like "A 4th round pick for the Fedorov brothers". Those I won't consider. But, anything in the ballpark I'll deeply look at, and probably continue trading talks for that player.

dwaynester

May 10, 2004
Southwestern Ontario
Look at the signings

Alfie#11 said:

One thing I notice is that a lot of the good players are signing contracts. While it's not unheard of for players to forgo UFA status, I've never seen a summer where basically all of the high profile UFAs forgo free agency to sign a new deal with a team. Some of these players would get bid up in price.

The CBA also doesn't apply in this league. By setting a cap of $55 million, you've raised the collective salary amount of the league.
Going by USAToday , only 6 teams had salaries of over $55 million. In this environment good players get big raises. Why would a player like Turner Stevenson sign for relatively the same money? Teams looking for a big winger would likely offer him $2-3 million a year.

In the rosters thread, Washington is at something like $25 million in salary - $30 million of cap space left! Players could go to Washington for huge dollars or use them as leverage to extract more money from the teams they really wanted to sign with.

I re-signed Zhitnik in buffalo at 5 mil a year. Washington has tonnes of cap space available, and are looking to bring in some major free agent talent, but there is nothing left. We are forced to add players like Andy Delmore, and trade for Luke Richardson. What else can we do. When free agency starts, there will be nothing left.

dwaynester

May 10, 2004
Southwestern Ontario
Washington and Buffalo trading all picks for UFA's

Teh Buffalo Sabres and Washington Capitals have announced that they are looking to trade away the rest of their draft picks in this years draft. This is due to an inability of the owner to participate in any Mock draft that might be organized. I would rather pick up a couple of quality players, and try to sign them by the deadline, than participate in any Mock Draft. I apologize for any inaccuracy, but I beleive this is my draft list remaining:

Buffalo:

Phoenix 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th

Washington:

Boston's first (27), Boston's Second, 5th, 7th, 8th and 9th

Jon Burke

Alfie#11 said:

I agree, everyone signing their free agents is rather unrealistic. Normally the majority of the players would test the market, I agree, but unfortunately there's no real way for me to regulate that. I mean, I could turn back perfectly fair offers and say "I think he would test the market", but I think that would ruffle a few feathers. It's been just a while since I sat down with our "agent", MacDaddy Version 1.3, and starting talking about how to run free agency. Had we talked earlier, perhaps we could've figured out some better way to do things, but we didn't.

This GM Game is very much a pioneer in that I can't think of any other thing like it. Therefore, it's probably going to have flaws - and I would consider this a flaw - but you know what, I can learn from it for next time (if I decide to do another one of these babies, I really don't know about that one :) ).

As for your argument that players could get big raises if they were on the open market, I am not convinced. Of those seven teams that were over $55 million, not a single one was just over $55 million, all over them were well over $60 million, meaning each of them would have to jetison at least $5 million in player salaries. Another 3 teams were just over $50 million, and could easier go over if they had built in raises or if the team added a highly paid guy. That's a third of the league that doesn't have a lot of space, and you honestly think teams like Nashville and Minnesota are going to go out and sign UFAs? My point is, although you're right that there should be more UFAs, I don't think there is nearly as much cap space as you suggest there is and certainly not enough for a guy like Turner Stevenson to get $3 million a year.

You are right that the establishment of a cap does render my CBA argument useless though, so I better just stop trying to use that... ;)

Jon Burke

The Bruins have learned that several key players, including Dan McGillis, Mike Knuble, Michael Nylander, Sean O'Donnell, Jiri Slegr and Rob Zamuner all want to test the free agent market.

The Bruins re-signed center Travis Green to a 2 year, $3.5 million contract, earning $1.75 million the next two years, meaning he gets a $150K raise, not all that much, but he's a role player who scored just 16 pts this year and was -6. He doesn't have a heck of a lot of bargaining power.

The Bruins also re-signed defenseman Ian Moran to a 1 year, $800K contract, meaning that he gets an $100K raise.

The Bruins feel that these moves shore up their depth as they hope to go for a run at the Cup next year.

Jon Burke

The Carolina Hurricanes are willing to move a package of their first round pick (8th overall), center Eric Staal and right winger Radim Vrbata if it is used to get them a good player or two. PM me with any and all offers.

rupispupis

Apr 26, 2004
The Blackhawks called a press conference today to announce their new captain: ......Mark Bell.
"After the departure of Tony and Alex, along with a lot of our other vets, we felt that the young guys stepped up their game and took control of the team. Mark Bell was at the forefront of the youth movement and we feel he will be a great captain to this original 6 franchise for years to come" - said the GM.
The alternates will be as follows:
Home games - Kyle Calder, Bryan Berard.
Away games - Eric Daze, Bret Hedican.

In other news... the talks with CAL regarding Theo Fleury's trade seem to be at a standstill.
Chicago is looking for a solid 82 games/year enforcer in return for Fleury.

P.S. - Just a reminder... I have heard some people searching for a new coach.
Brian Sutter has been let go and is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->