Danrik's GM Game - News, Rumors and Trade Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Anaheim (CP)-The season is far away, yet there are in the full swing of things in Anaheim.

The free agency period is yet to hit, nor has the draft, but many Mighty Ducks players are taking place in Disney Ice, a camp open to all individuals, in and out of the Mighty Ducks system. The camp is being run this year by Ducks assistant coaches Eddie Olczyk and Ted Nolan, and Mike Babcock will run the camp again in the beginning of August.

The only major notables not at the camp were Steve Rucchin, who is healing after last season, as is Keith Carney, J-S Giguere, who is at a sports psycologist to get his game back, and defenseman Sandis Ozolinsh, who is also recovering from injury.

Petr Sykora, who is getting married in July, has shown up mainly to work with newcomer Mike Comrie and his friend Vaclav Prospal. They're expected to be the second line, and have shown great chemistry all through-out camp.

Mike Babcock, who currentley is on vacation, also dropped in for a bit, to hold a coaches meeting, which included general manager Bryan Murray. They discussed who they feel won't fit in on the team, and the captaincy. Olczyk made the announcement earlier today.

The captain will once again be Steve Rucchin. Alternate captains will be Sergei Fedorov and Keith Carney, who both were alternates last year. They also decided to go with a third alternate captain, and named Sandis Ozolinsh the last alternate captain.

Finally, the Ducks seem to be interested in making moves. When Murray dealt Martin Skoula, we thought that he had an ace up his sleeve. Sources report that Murray extremely covets Nashville defenseman Kimmo Timonen, so he may be that ace, but we find it doubtful. We figure there is another player out there who may be brought it.

It also seems that Mike Leclerc will be dealt some time soon. The Ducks feel it may be better to give a shot to someone else, and that Leclerc could do better on another team. The same was thought of on Rob Niedermayer, but he recently signed a long-term deal with Anaheim, and has said he wants to stay.

The same goes for Petr Schastlivy, Andy McDonald, and Mikael Holmqvist. Out of the three, Schastlivy is the most likely to go. All three are expected to be in the press-box for the season opener.

Desibasha

Mar 25, 2004
News out of Calgary:

Calgary Flames will ask Goaltender Roman Turek to restructure his contract. If this does not happen, look for the Flames to release Turek, who will be making close to $5 million this year while backing up Mikka Kiprusoff.

Flames also want to ship out Toni Lydman, as they want to pursuit an "unamed defencemen". They have about $20 million in cap space and will go hard to get this defencemen. Flames could package Lydman along with the 6th overall to acquire a major piece of the puzzle. They are listening to offers.

Jon Burke

The Boston Bruins have made a major deal, acquiring the rights to goaltender Ed Belfour, right winger Nathan Perrott and cash (to pay for Belfour's salary) for goaltender Andrew Raycroft.

"We're committed to winning the Cup, and while we love Andrew, we wanted a quality guy like Eddy the Eagle who has a Cup ring and a wealth of playoff experience to run the show for us," said GM Danrik.

When asked who will take over the goaltending reigns after Belfour retires, Danrik responded, "Hannu Toivonen is waiting on the wings and is a great young goalie. We're confident that he can eventually take over for Eddy."

Jon Burke

The Bruins have reached a contract agreement with newly acquired Ed Belfour, but have not released the financial terms of the deal yet.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Danrik said:
The Boston Bruins have made a major deal, acquiring the rights to goaltender Ed Belfour, right winger Nathan Perrott and cash (to pay for Belfour's salary) for goaltender Andrew Raycroft.

"We're committed to winning the Cup, and while we love Andrew, we wanted a quality guy like Eddy the Eagle who has a Cup ring and a wealth of playoff experience to run the show for us," said GM Danrik.

When asked who will take over the goaltending reigns after Belfour retires, Danrik responded, "Hannu Toivonen is waiting on the wings and is a great young goalie. We're confident that he can eventually take over for Eddy."

You're lucky you have Toivonen.;)

dwaynester

May 10, 2004
Southwestern Ontario
Rumors out of Buffalo

Dwaynester, GM of the Sabres, has just held a press conference where he announced that the team is currently at an impasse with C Daniel Briere. The Sabres have offered Briere a 2 yr, 4.6M contract, paying 2m this year, and 2.6 m next year. Briere is looking for a larger contract, and is considering arbitration this year. The Sabres are now fielding offers for Briere, who is a Restricted Free Agent.

dwaynester

May 10, 2004
Southwestern Ontario
Washington Trade talks heating up

The Washington Capitals are currently listening to any, and all, offers in an attempt to improve what GM dwaynester calls the worst team in the league. Since acquiring Roberto Luongo, dwaynester has been trying to bring in some quality talent to play along with Luongo, including a complete revamp of the defense core. Rumor has it there could be 5 new defensemen in Washington next season, with only Rick Berry surviving the purge.

We are listening to offers for our draft picks, 27, 29, 34 and 57, as well. Anyone interested. Dwaynester is quoted as saying they cant wait for prospects, the time to win is now. with almost $30 million in cap space existing, Washington should be a major player over the next few days

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
From Colorado,
It has been a busy off season so far for the Avalanche, getting rid of superstars Peter Forsberg, Rob Blake, prospects Marek Svatos and Phillipe Sauve and number goalie David Abeschier. However the deals they made were for reasons... to dump salary and to win this year. They weren't doing it with what they had so changes had to be made.
The team is meeting for 4 days to skate and meet each other in Colorado at the end of june. Joe Sakic was contacted and said ,"This will be a solid hockey club, with a little bit of a different look but more secure in net." Joe is estatic with the addition of Kevin Weekes, Owen Nolan and Joe Neiuwendyk and feels they bring that the avalanche were missing.
The avalanche fans may not have been happy about the departure of Peter Forsberg but he was makign too much money and the future of the franchise needed to be boosted. Tony Granato says " We are very high on Maxime Talbot as a prospect" we have him very high and feel the type of game he brings at botyh ends of the ice and leadership will be coveted by this organization one day."

Overall the AVS are ready to make a run for the cup....

RoyIsALegend*

Who ever is this Colorado owners is absolutely brutal.

Some of the worst fantasy trades I've ever seen in my life, and I question whether this person has ever watched a hockey game.

No offense, of course.

Youreallygotme

Aug 21, 2003
Kelowna BC
RoyIsALegend said:
Who ever is this Colorado owners is absolutely brutal.

Some of the worst fantasy trades I've ever seen in my life, and I question whether this person has ever watched a hockey game.

No offense, of course.

You should see some of the trades ive done with Pheonix :shakehead

rinkrat13

Nov 27, 2003
Toronto
Toronto Maple Leaf news:

The Leafs are making Pasi Nurminen and/or John Grahame available.
If you are in the market for a #1a/b goalie then today is your lucky day, I have two on the block.

Please PM your offers. Thanks...

Maple Leaf Management

Jon Burke

The Boston Bruins are pleased to announce three re-signings of pending unrestricted free agents as well as the terms of the Ed Belfour contract signing made yesterday.

Belfour agreed to a one year, $6 million contract with a variety of performance bonuses built into the contract that could boost his salary up to $8 million this year. There also is a team option to keep him for a second year at $6.5 million in base salary.

The Bruins re-signed Brian Rolston to a 3 year, $10.55 million contract. The terms are as follows:

1st year: $3.425 M (pay increase of $250 K)
2nd year: $3.5 M (pay increase of $75 K)
3rd year: $3.625 M (pay increase of $125 K)

The Bruins promised Rolston a top six role as part of the deal, as they feel that he could easily play a top six role effectively with his speed and heavy shot. He will still kill penalties and get prime power play time, meaning that his minutes will go up slightly.

The Bruins also re-signed Felix Potvin to a 2 year, $2.7 million contract. The terms are as follows:

1st year: $1.3 M (no increase in pay)
2nd year: $1.4 M (pay increase of $100 K)

The Bruins feel that with Potvin and Belfour, they have a veteran goalie tandem and also that Potvin can take over the starting role capably if Belfour goes down with injury. Plus, Potvin might assume the starting role next year if Toivonen isn't ready and Belfour is not brought back.

As their final re-signing, the Bruins re-signed Glen Murray to a 3 year, $14.2 million contract. The terms are as follows:

1st year: $4.5 M (pay increase of $650 K)
2nd year: $4.75 M (pay increase of $250 K)
3rd year: $4.95 M (pay increase of $200 K)

plus there's an extra option year at $5.5 million...

The Bruins felt that getting Murray re-signed was key as they feel he's the main right winger who can score in Boston and has good chemistry with Joe Thornton. It's believed that he could have a new linemate next season in Brian Rolston.

The Bruins said that they will not re-sign Zamuner, Slegr and Knuble, as they have to make room in the salary cap.

rinkrat13

Nov 27, 2003
Toronto
I kinda have a problem with some of your UFA signings...

now, if Belfour, Murray & Rolston test the unrestrained free agency waters they will get contracts alot bigger then the ones they got from BOS (remember Martin Lapointe $4M fpr a $2M player)...

... now, Danrik I'm not trying to start something here or am I trying to jump on you every time you make a move, although this time giving Roslton a $250K & Murray a $650K raise is not the kinda money they would get as UFA's in a free market... not to mention Belfour getting a $2M salary cut (Eddie turned down $8M from the Leafs earlier, in the "real" NHL) why would he take less with BOS?

again, Danrik please don't think I'm jumping on you (I would've made this statement no matter who the GM was) IMO deals like the three above would should never be approved

thats the main reason a player can't wait till they become UFA - so they can get top dollar for the rest of their careers (in some cases) or at least cash in for the next few years...

Last edited:

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
rinkrat13 said:

now, if Belfour, Murray & Rolston test the unrestrained free agency waters they will get contracts alot bigger then the ones they got from BOS (remember Martin Lapointe $4M fpr a $2M player)...

... now, Danrik I'm not trying to start something here or am I trying to jump on you every time you make a move, although this time giving Roslton a $250K & Murray a $650K raise is not the kinda money they would get as UFA's in a free market... not to mention Belfour getting a $2M salary cut (Eddie turned down $8M from the Leafs earlier, in the "real" NHL) why would he take less with BOS?

again, Danrik please don't think I'm jumping on you (I would've made this statement no matter who the GM was) IMO deals like the three above would should never be approved

thats the main reason a player can't wait till they become UFA - so they can get top dollar for the rest of their careers (in some cases) or at least cash in for the next few years...
I agree too..

rinkrat13

Nov 27, 2003
Toronto
and that goes for NAS offering Zholtok a $250K pay cut...

if anuone can show me video or a news article that says that a (UFA) player(s) are willing to take a pay cut to stay with there respected teams then thats cool with me (like Nieuwendyk did in TO this past season, he made it clear in the press that he was willing to take less to come to TO)

sketchykg

Nov 17, 2003
rinkrat13 said:
and that goes for NAS offering Zholtok a $250K pay cut...

if anuone can show me video or a news article that says that a (UFA) player(s) are willing to take a pay cut to stay with there respected teams then thats cool with me (like Nieuwendyk did in TO this past season, he made it clear in the press that he was willing to take less to come to TO)

Right here... announced today: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=87620

Jon Burke

rinkrat13 said:

No, I don't think you're jumping on me. Would you stop saying that?

Now, I'm not terribly knowledgeable about Boston, but I do know that them signing Lapointe for $5 million per year was a rare event. So I don't think you can really use that as leverage to try and get guys like Belfour, Murray and Rolston more hefty salaries. Most people would agree with me that signing Lapointe to $5 million a season was a severe gaffe on the Bruins part, just like signing Holik for $9 million was stupid.

Belfour could get up to $8 million if he fulfills his performance bonuses. I never read anywhere that he was offered $8 million, but if you can find the link and prove it to me, I will boost my offer. Don't think I'm intentionally cheating the system here...

Rolston is getting a decent raise over the length of his contract and is also getting promised lots of ice time, likely on the top line with Thornton and Murray. Besides, the Bruins are a contender.

Murray is also getting a good sized raise and will remain with Thornton, who he has had some of his best years playing for.

Add in the CBA confusion and I don't see anyone offering these guys ridiculous contracts as you seem to have indicated they will get. Now I have no problem hearing what you think is fair offers, because yeah well, someone has to keep me accountable.

rinkrat13

Nov 27, 2003
Toronto
Danrik said:
No, I don't think you're jumping on me. Would you stop saying that?

Don't think I'm intentionally cheating the system here...

:lol comments like that (in bold) is the reason I feel like I have to say (don't take it as an attack, etc) every time I challenge you on something... I wish I didn't have to say that every time, just I kinda have a good feel for the way you are by now - I promise I'll stop saying that if you promise to stop thinking everyone is after you :D

now, back to business - after reading your above post it seems like you are NOT gonna change your stance on the contract offers to the 3 UFA's... I still don't think the offers are fair and I think we should put this to a vote involving all the GM's in this league - that seems like the only fair way to resolve this.

BTW - I will find that article I read that mentioned Belfour turning down the Leafs $8M contract and post it here

Jon Burke

rinkrat13 said:
:lol comments like that (in bold) is the reason I feel like I have to say (don't take it as an attack, etc) every time I challenge you on something... I wish I didn't have to say that every time, just I kinda have a good feel for the way you are by now - I promise I'll stop saying that if you promise to stop thinking everyone is after you :D

now, back to business - after reading your above post it seems like you are NOT gonna change your stance on the contract offers to the 3 UFA's... I still don't think the offers are fair and I think we should put this to a vote involving all the GM's in this league - that seems like the only fair way to resolve this.

BTW - I will find that article I read that mentioned Belfour turning down the Leafs $8M contract and post it here

lol, I feel like I have to say that because of what you say... :)

I am willing to change my offers, but obviously I think they're fair and you haven't really changed my mind or even read my rebuttle.

rinkrat13

Nov 27, 2003
Toronto
Danrik said:
lol, I feel like I have to say that because of what you say... :)

:D

Danrik said:
I am willing to change my offers, but obviously I think they're fair and you haven't really changed my mind or even read my rebuttle.

sure I did, I just didn't find any reason to believe that Murray & Rolston would take such a small pay raise - I was thinking at least a million for both of them... and as for Belfour, he also haven't proved to me that he is willing to take a $2M pay cut and would accept a bonus laden contract.

IMO the point I was trying to make original of a player waiting to go to UFA just to make a $250K pay raise is NOT gonna happen... players wait since the time they come into the league for the chance to be UFA's and test the open market for that big raise (and IMO all three of the UFA's in question deserve a big pay raise, well not BIG as in Holik or Lapoint but a lot more then you offered them)

I think the three signings (Rolston, Murray & Belfour) should be put on hold till we can all (as a league) decided what to do about this

Jon Burke

rinkrat13 said:
:D

sure I did, I just didn't find any reason to believe that Murray & Rolston would take such a small pay raise - I was thinking at least a million for both of them... and as for Belfour, he also haven't proved to me that he is willing to take a $2M pay cut and would accept a bonus laden contract.

IMO the point I was trying to make original of a player waiting to go to UFA just to make a $250K pay raise is NOT gonna happen... players wait since the time they come into the league for the chance to be UFA's and test the open market for that big raise (and IMO all three of the UFA's in question deserve a big pay raise, well not BIG as in Holik or Lapoint but a lot more then you offered them)

I think the three signings (Rolston, Murray & Belfour) should be put on hold till we can all (as a league) decided what to do about this

I really have no problem boosting their pay, but let me quote this from the article on tsn.ca about the re-signing of Primeau:

Primeau's agent, Don Reynolds, said his client opted for long-term security instead of gambling on the free agent market this summer.

That means that free agents realize that this is going to be a conservative summer, that they probably won't get huge dollars in a contract offer. Players know that with the CBA uncertainty, they might not get as much as they had hoped on the open market.

As for your argument that players are just itching to become UFAs and test the market, true for some players, not true for everyone. Murray and Rolston have enjoyed their best years in Boston. They're on a good team with a chance to win the Cup. They are getting pretty good pay. Why leave?

That's not really fair to put them on hold because otherwise I might not be able to get all my signings done by June 20th. If you do want to do this whole overblown contract evaluation or whatever you want to call it, it better be short and to the point...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad