Danrik's Fantasy Draft Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Draiman

This forum is deader than the roadkill on the highway on the way to Vancouver, so why not start up a fantasy draft discussion thread?

It's a good way for us to kinda get to know each other, maybe discuss trade ideas, argue about picks and all that lovely stuff. We'll have to see if it goes over and you guys actually use it, but if you want, it's here for you guys to use.

I'll try and get the stone rolling and ask if people think I took Ovechkin too early.

pizzlybear

Dec 6, 2004
Plymouth, MN
Danrik V.2 said:
I'll try and get the stone rolling and ask if people think I took Ovechkin too early.

i dont see anything wrong with the ovechkin pick, he could potentially be the top player in the league and if your plan is to buiild a young exciting team then the pick looks great

my plan to get a fairly young player who has proven his ability to excel.

also blue bleeder is there anyway to pry luongo out of your hands. the kings or wild would love to work out a trade if at all possible.

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
Mattias Ohlund being picked 3rd overall and Thornton 12th overall... what kind of draft is this? ;)

pizzlybear

Dec 6, 2004
Plymouth, MN
thornton 12 isnt too early at all. he was number two on my draft board. 25, number one center, 70+ pts, physical, can do it all and still growing.

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
pizzlybear said:
thornton 12 isnt too early at all. he was number two on my draft board. 25, number one center, 70+ pts, physical, can do it all and still growing.

That's not what I meant.

That was a way of me saying the league so far looks to be a little :loony:

You know because who would take Ohlund at 3rd overall (canucks fan of course :) )and ahead of Thornton... 9 picks ahead of Thornton who I think should have been picked earlier.

Get me? :)

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
pizzlybear said:

I think he means Thornton went later than expected.. If Iginla had gone before me Thornton would be a Ranger.

Zetterberg4Captain*

If its ok with you Danrik Vanislander gave me his team New Jersey and I also have Nashville.

David Draiman

ofhdhdy said:
If its ok with you Danrik Vanislander gave me his team New Jersey and I also have Nashville.

No problem.

Yeah, I think Thornton went late. And you get no argument that Ohlund went early and I'm a 'Nuck fan myself. :) I just want to see m_b's justification for picking him so early.

pizzlybear

Dec 6, 2004
Plymouth, MN
Shadow said:
That's not what I meant.

That was a way of me saying the league so far looks to be a little :loony:

You know because who would take Ohlund at 3rd overall (canucks fan of course :) )and ahead of Thornton... 9 picks ahead of Thornton who I think should have been picked earlier.

Get me? :)

fair enough. that is a good point.

David Draiman

pizzlybear said:
fair enough. that is a good point.

Shadow is just jealous he didn't get Thornton. ;)

And this forum is hopping now, well, it's closer to hopping than I've seen in a long time. :)

David Draiman

The Florida Panthers are willing to do a package along the lines of

To Other Team:
2nd round pick
5th round pick
7th round pick

To Florida:
Player
9th round pick
10th round pick

Considering that you can get a lot of good players in the first 6 to 7 rounds, that could set a team up pretty nicely for a deep team.

David Draiman

BlueBleeder said:
Anyone think I made a mistake taking Loungo first?

Nah, he's a pretty sound pick. I might've taken Kovalchuk over him but he's got a small salary and is always a valuable commodity.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
BlueBleeder said:
Anyone think I made a mistake taking Loungo first?
There were many years where taking a goalie first overall was clearly wise (Roy, Hasek) but not any more. Maybe Lehtonen in a few years.

I think there are five or six goaltenders with near to the same level of skill nowadays, but no one you can count on to steal games on a regular basis.

David Draiman

VanIslander said:
There were many years where taking a goalie first overall was clearly wise (Roy, Hasek) but not any more. Maybe Lehtonen in a few years.

I think there are five or six goaltenders with near to the same level of skill nowadays, but no one you can count on to steal games on a regular basis.

Yeah, you kind of have a point there about Roy and Hasek, but I think Brodeur and Luongo are a bit ahead of the other 'tenders available. Brodeur has the edge because of his experience and record, while Luongo is slightly ahead because he's young, keeps the Panthers in every game and has great upside. Just one man's opinion though.

I think you could also say the same thing about taking ANY player first overall. IMO, there's no real clear cut #1 choice anymore. Guys like Heatley, Kovalchuk, Nash, Thornton, Naslund, Forsberg, Brodeur and Luongo all are up there, but all of them have some sort of downside that makes you think twice before picking them. It used to be a no-brainer who you'd take, now it isn't anymore... IMO anyways.

BlueBleeder

Sep 28, 2004
Looking for others
It came down to Loungo and Kovalchuk. Loungo won out because, if I was on an eastern conference team and the Panthers made the playoffs. I would not want to play them.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The point is who to take when you have first overall, and the next pick at the end of the second round. There will likely be a goaltender without much less value available, but there won't be a Kovalchuck at pick 60.

I don't think it's wise to pick a goaltender first overall this year. But it sure seems wiser than choosing Ohlund in the Top 3. I mean, only a Canucks fan would think it's a good choice when there will be Ohlund-level guys available late in the second round.

That said: Ohlund is one of the most underrated d-men, IMO,... but I'm a Canucks fan too. ;)

David Draiman

VanIslander said:
The point is who to take when you have first overall, and the next pick at the end of the second round. There will likely be a goaltender without much less value available, but there won't be a Kovalchuck at pick 60.

I don't think it's wise to pick a goaltender first overall this year. But it sure seems wiser than choosing Ohlund in the Top 3. I mean, only a Canucks fan would think it's a good choice when there will be Ohlund-level guys available late in the second round.

That said: Ohlund is one of the most underrated d-men, IMO,... but I'm a Canucks fan too. ;)

You get no argument that Ohlund isn't a #3 pick from me, but I think it's best we just agree to disagree on the goalie thing. I think it's actually pretty hard to get a good 'tender late in the second and easier to get a good forward, but maybe my mind has just be skewed by the many fantasy leagues I've been were goalies were snapped up like there was a bank run.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
Danrik V.2 said:
This forum is deader than the roadkill on the highway on the way to Vancouver, so why not start up a fantasy draft discussion thread?

It's a good way for us to kinda get to know each other, maybe discuss trade ideas, argue about picks and all that lovely stuff. We'll have to see if it goes over and you guys actually use it, but if you want, it's here for you guys to use.

I would of took him at 15 when i first picked. I drafted him in my keeper league that ive been involved in for about 10 years now. Everybody is down on the Ohlund pick but he wasnt accually picked third he was picked 8th or 9th? because the GM missed his pick. Hes got a nice salary for this pool. Guys like Lidstrom and Pronger are 1/5 of our budget. Hey Danrik if our budget was 80-100m would we see the Sakics, Forsbergs, Lidstroms and Prongers scooped up already ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad