Danny Syvret

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcoldwell

Aug 11, 2004
Could someone please explain why Danny Syvret wasn't available for the 03 or 04 draft even though he was born June 1985. Myself and a few friends are debating back and forth on why he wasn't drafted yet. Thanks for all the answer in advance.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
jcoldwell said:
Could someone please explain why Danny Syvret wasn't available for the 03 or 04 draft even though he was born June 1985. Myself and a few friends are debating back and forth on why he wasn't drafted yet. Thanks for all the answer in advance.

He was available, but was passed over both times. For any number of reasons (size/strength, weak shot, average skater- all of which he's improved upon) nobody took a chance on him.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
He really isn't very good... I've heard a lot of people on these boards throwing his name around. I can't figure it out 'cause he wouldn't be a good pick unless you want a career AHLer, if even.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
BobMarleyNYR said:
He really isn't very good... I've heard a lot of people on these boards throwing his name around. I can't figure it out 'cause he wouldn't be a good pick unless you want a career AHLer, if even.

Considering the rate at which he's improving his game, I think it's incredibly early to say his upside is as a career AHLer.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
jcoldwell said:
He was passed over, twice. I still don't see a high upside for him, certainly not an NHL upside, but some guys are late bloomers and he might be it.

He was eligible to be drafted, but that doesn't mean teams have to draft him.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:
He was passed over, twice. I still don't see a high upside for him, certainly not an NHL upside, but some guys are late bloomers and he might be it.

He was eligible to be drafted, but that doesn't mean teams have to draft him.

I think he will be drafted but not in the top 3 rounds of this draft. He could be a steal. If you get a 4th rounder that makes your team, you have done awesome. I see him as an offensive minded 3rd pair or extra guy.

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
The main reason he was passed up twice was his size - most NHL teams won't take a risk on a 5'10" d-man unless he's too good to ignore. The past two years Syvret wasn't that good - he was a good hockey player, but not that great - but he's drastically improved his shot and skating and his hockey sense is among the best at any level of the game.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
BobMarleyNYR said:

Too early to say whether or not he'll just be a career AHL'er (or worse, such as a being a Ranger ;) ).

The way he's improved his game - captain of the top junior team in the country and playing for Team Canada - he may surprise a lot of people.

Tom

bruins4777*

DaveyCrockett said:
Wideman still hasn't made it anywhere past the AHL. I don't see Syvret as an offensive defenseman in any case. He could be a Don Sweeney type though.
When a bruin fan says that a guy could be a don sweeney type, you know thats a HUGE compliment.

If he can reach what sweeney reached with the bruins, i'd say its a damn good career.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/news/?id=1242

The Ontario Hockey League today announced that London Knights' captain Danny Syvret is the winner of the Max Kaminsky Trophy as the OHL's most outstanding defenceman for the 2004-05 season.
Syvret was second in scoring among all OHL blueliners this season with 23 goals and 46 assists for 69 points in 62 games. He also led the OHL with a plus-70 plus-minus rating.

Syvret received 81 points in the voting, while runner-up Andre Benoit of the Kitchener Rangers received 48 points and Kyle Quincey of the Mississauga IceDogs was third with 22 points.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
bleedgreen said:
i guess someone in the league disagrees with the assessment he hasnt "been great".
Well that, and they don't look for good players on Canada's junior team. :shakehead

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
It still baffles me how some players like Syvret slip through the cracks. Size is important for an NHL defenseman, I suppose, but there are just too many examples nowadays of guys who make it without it. And in some cases, they make it big. Guys like Dan Boyle, John-Michael Liles and Brian Rafalski are just three recent examples. Don Sweeney is another good example. Curt Giles is another.

If the kid has hockey sense, I'd definitely take a chance on him. That's something that can somewhat compensate for less-than-perfect physical skills.

If the NHL goes to a 19-year-old draft, I think guys like Syvret will become hotter commodities in the draft. As it stands, I'm still not convinced that a team won't take Syvret in the first two rounds even if the 2005 draft remains at age 18. Like I said, there are just too many examples these days of success stories just like Syvret--Chris Campoli of the Bridgeport Sound Tigers being another.

He has earned a shot at being picked fairly high. If he displays a lot at the upcoming Mem Cup, I think Syvret could sneak into the top-60.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
I'd be willing to bet he won't go top 60. With prospects, it's less about talent and lower-level productivity than transitional abilities. If their games can accomodate pro challenges, it's that much better. I think Syvret is 20... he's overage, and I don't see much transition potential. A guy like LaVallee will NOT go late first (like some speculate) simply because he's overage. I like LaVallee's game, but whether it's Syvret, Yandle, Shirokov, LaVallee, even Hensick, the fact that they're all about 19 makes a difference... NYR took Jan Marek 9th round in '03. I don't see his game ever transitioning, though he's good in the Czech Rep.

Keep this in mind: in the past year GM Sather was going nuts acquiring any young player... Syvret tried out for us and we washed our hands on him... plus NYR has good scouting and developmental programs, so that tells you something, no matter how much better Syvret's gotten.

Could I be wrong? For his sake I hope I am, but I have a strong feeling he won't become too much.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Jag68Vlady27 said:
He has earned a shot at being picked fairly high. If he displays a lot at the upcoming Mem Cup, I think Syvret could sneak into the top-60.

Nobody picked him twice. Hasn't he earned the right to be a free agent?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
All I'm saying is when a guy plays THIS well, I think he deserves to get some attention on draft day.

Hey, I'm all about potential as well, but sometimes results matter too.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Bender said:

Obviously you haven't payed much attention to the team.

They like to sign free agent players out of juniors or college. A lot. They tried him out and apparantly he sucked it up and didn't warrent a contract. That shoudl say something as to how much of an impact teams think he will have.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Jag68Vlady27 said:
All I'm saying is when a guy plays THIS well, I think he deserves to get some attention on draft day.

Hey, I'm all about potential as well, but sometimes results matter too.

Oh I'm not disagreeing with you... I also think he'll be drafted mainly because he did have a good season. Hopefully he will become a solid NHLer, I'm wrong more often than I'm right. But someone mentioned his status because he was passed over twice... I'm pretty sure that does make him a free agent, but the draft might be his best bet.

I'm just amazed at the hype Syvret has gotten on these boards... underrated players become overrated (and vice versa), and I think there are better prospects who don't get as much recognition as Syvret.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
BobMarleyNYR said:
Being ranked the 7th best organization by HF, I'd say so.
Sorry but, that means jack squat.

The organization rankings are nice and all, and they are fun to brag about on these messageboards, but they mean ****. The Rangers are one of the worst teams for drafting and developing talent over the last several years.. simple as that.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
BobMarleyNYR said:
Being ranked the 7th best organization by HF, I'd say so.

The Avs are ranked dead last but I'd take their scouting over the Rangers any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->