Danny Richmond: Punching Bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
I've been watching OHL hockey for around 25 years, and I can't remember the last time I saw a 19-year-old take such a sick beating from a 16-year-old.

Making it all the more embarrassing for Danny Richmond was the fact he picked the fight, and the guy he took on - Ryan O'Marra from Erie - is known as a finesse forward who was in the first fight of his OHL career.

O'Marra just held him at arms length and kept raining pinpoint shots on Richmond's face. When Richmond went down, O'Marra pulled him back up and just kept feeding him. By the end of it, Richmond was a bloody mess and had to get helped off the ice. He did not return.

As an aside, O'Marra looks to be a good prospect with very nice size, skill and grit. First round prospect for 2005 IMO.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Juan said:
I've been watching OHL hockey for around 25 years, and I can't remember the last time I saw a 19-year-old take such a sick beating from a 16-year-old.

Making it all the more embarrassing for Danny Richmond was the fact he picked the fight, and the guy he took on - Ryan O'Marra from Erie - is known as a finesse forward who was in the first fight of his OHL career.

O'Marra just held him at arms length and kept raining pinpoint shots on Richmond's face. When Richmond went down, O'Marra pulled him back up and just kept feeding him. By the end of it, Richmond was a bloody mess and had to get helped off the ice. He did not return.

As an aside, O'Marra looks to be a good prospect with very nice size, skill and grit. First round prospect for 2005 IMO.
Two questions. Is Richmond normally able to handle himself? Second has O'Marra had a rep as a scrapper in Junior B?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Great, even more embarassment to a Carolina prospect besides being a Carolina prospect. Poor Richmond. Oh well, his forte is supposed to be offense anyway. I'm sure that fight was offensive enough.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
c-carp said:
Two questions. Is Richmond normally able to handle himself? Second has O'Marra had a rep as a scrapper in Junior B?

Don't know anything about Richmond's past as a scrapper, although I would suspect it's non-existent. But like I said, he was the one who picked the fight and egged O'Marra on to go.

O'Marra came to the OHL from minor midget in Toronto, although I think he played a few exhibition games in Tier II. So he has no experience as a fighter at all. Actually, he has always been considered one of the more skilled forwards of his age group in Toronto. He was the 4th overall pick in the OHL draft, and played for Ontario at the recent World U-17's.

In terms of size, O'Marra looks to be around 6'2", 180.

Last edited:

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Juan said:
Don't know anything about Richmond's past as a scrapper, although I would suspect it's non-existent. But like I said, he was the one who picked the fight and egged O'Marra on to go.

O'Marra came to the OHL from minor midget in Toronto, although I think he played a few exhibition games in Tier II. So he has no experience as a fighter at all. Actually, he has always been considered one of the more skilled forwards of his age group in Toronto. He was the 4th overall pick in the OHL draft, and played for Ontario at the recent World U-17's.

In terms of size, O'Marra looks to be around 6'2", 180.
Thanks for the info, a possible future Power Forward.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
c-carp said:
Two questions. Is Richmond normally able to handle himself?

Richmond doesn't shy away from the rough stuff but the toughness he has he usually puts to use while the play is still going on. He's relatively small for a Dman but will throw some superb checks or give a little abuse to the puck carrier bordering on the illegal. No idea about his fighting skills in general.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Caniacforever said:
Great, even more embarassment to a Carolina prospect besides being a Carolina prospect. Poor Richmond. Oh well, his forte is supposed to be offense anyway.

If that's any consolation, I think he is pretty good regardless of the whooping! :p

Saw him again in most of the last game and the potential is definitly there. I'd say he'll become a 2nd pairing D. Providing offense and opponents will still have to be aware when he's on the ice. He's definitly not a butter-soft quarterback. The guy makes superb plays each time I see him and he can get in people's face as well.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
If that's any consolation, I think he is pretty good regardless of the whooping! :p

Saw him again in most of the last game and the potential is definitly there. I'd say he'll become a 2nd pairing D. Providing offense and opponents will still have to be aware when he's on the ice. He's definitly not a butter-soft quarterback. The guy makes superb plays each time I see him and he can get in people's face as well.

That is a consolation, an endorsement from Vlad seems pretty hard to come by. Especially for anything Carolina related. ;)

Richmond shocked me when they took him 32nd overall. I was expecting one of the bigger names to fly off the board with our 2nd Rounder. When they called out Danny Richmond, my heart kind of dropped a little. It's good to hear a person say that he's going to be a good one. It's sort of like the David Tanabe pick 16th overall in 1999. A lot of big names, in hindsight not so "big talents", were on the board and JR bypassed them to take Tanabe. I think it's a situation kind of like that. After seeing Richmond play in the WJC's, i've been pacified a little because he's got some decent talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad