Confirmed with Link: Danny Briere UFA

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
What I don't understand is all the posters who seem to ignore the fact that Jim Nill, Ken Holland and Babcock have all stated on multiple occasions over the last year or two that the team needs to get bigger. I love our skill guys, D and Z are great, love Tatar and Nyquist too but those guys need to be complimented by bigger top 6 guys if we are to have our best chance at a cup or two.
I also don't understand the overpriced theme on the ufa's out there. Market price is market price (with a few exceptions of really overpaid guys), we can afford a Horton or Clarkson easily if we want them. It is not always about just players salary as if in a bubble, the team needs have to come into play as well.

No one actually believes that Holland believes it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If Filppula walks and Brunner wants stupid money for a stupid term than I think signing a guy like Briere for 1-3 seasons is a great alternative.

Briere would likely be an upgrade over either Filppula or Brunner in the top 6 for the short term. Shouldn't affect the slotting of Nyquist or Tatar a whole lot either since they are both probably going to be on the 3rd line with Andersson, or at best Gus in the top 6 and Tatar on line 3.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I've always liked Danny B, clutch in playoffs... I wouldn't mind having him in a winged uniform, but only under the right circumstances. If Gus and Tats play without the worry of their spots being taken away from them then cool. But I'd rather Kenny try and get Weiss instead since it looks like Fil is gone. Also, depending on Brunner, Briere could be signed to take his place if Brunner wants too much.

Either way, I think he signs with a team on the coast. Isles or Devils come to mind. Maybe Pittsburgh.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I agree, and that's what I'd like to see the Wings do. The problem is that they really need to dump 2 or 3 forwards because Tatar and Nyquist HAVE to be playing full-time, especially if Filppula goes unsigned. I personally want Tootoo gone more than anyone else, then it's Sammy, Emmerton and Eaves that should be considered next.

I think Holland and Babcock planned on letting these guys fight for jobs in training camp last year, but they never had a camp because of the lockout. This is the year that training camp is going to be competitive.

But yeah, I'd like to see the Wings bring in an established scorer short-term, and it doesnt really matter if its a center or winger, because Z plays both very well. There might be a few good players available with these buyouts and teams trying to get under the lower cap.

My problem is that once you sign these vets, you've basically guaranteed them roster spots unless you absolutely have to cut them. With Nyquist and Tatar having waiver options this past season, I don't think Holland/Babcock ever expected them on the team out of camp, or they wouldn't have loaded up with the vets. What's scary is that they're doing the exact same thing this summer, and not appearing to make any moves to relieve that congestion.

I want to just see us throw a big deal at Iginla or Aldredsson for a year or two, but it's hard to do when we throw $3m at Sammy, $2m at Bertuzzi, $2m at Tootoo, $1.2m at Eaves, and then turn around and throw $1.3m at Miller while talking about bringing Cleary back, too. Holland just hoards and never cuts.

RedWingsNow*

I don't buy the idea of the Wings trying sign guys so they battle in camp.
You sign guys for $800,000 maybe, if you want them to battle for a roster spot.
Not $2 and 3M.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
I don't buy the idea of the Wings trying sign guys so they battle in camp.
You sign guys for $800,000 maybe, if you want them to battle for a roster spot.
Not $2 and 3M.

Yeah, this makes sense. I mean I think with the guys you already have? If you don't have a trade market and you're not expecting to make big moves in FA; it makes sense.

I can't see Holland going out and dropping 1+ million on guys to "create" competition tho. If he spends, it's going to be for someone who's definitely going to play. Whether fans agree with who that someone is or not really. That's his way.

Yzerberg

May 6, 2013
Western Kentucky
Why would we sign Briere? Where on the roster is he an upgrade? 4th line center?

Maybe he can milk it for a couple more years but he looks done to me. Other than a nice playoff, he looked done in 11-12 too. I've always liked him but trying to catch lightning in a bottle with scrap heap free agents is the last thing we need to be doing.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Why would we sign Briere? Where on the roster is he an upgrade? 4th line center?

Maybe he can milk it for a couple more years but he looks done to me. Other than a nice playoff, he looked done in 11-12 too. I've always liked him but trying to catch lightning in a bottle with scrap heap free agents is the last thing we need to be doing.

Briere is an upgrade in the top 6 over anyone not named Datsyuk or Z.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
As noted, Briere won't be leaving the northeast. His wife has custody of his children and lives in the NJ area.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
As noted, Briere won't be leaving the northeast. His wife has custody of his children and lives in the NJ area.

Yeah, I've read this in a lot of places too. Also, I don't get the impression he's going to be "that cheap" either, despite the buyout situation. Someone is gonna give him 5M (yes that's pure speculation but it is based on how interested every fanbase with a hole at forward seems to be in Briere).

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Yeah, I've read this in a lot of places too. Also, I don't get the impression he's going to be "that cheap" either, despite the buyout situation. Someone is gonna give him 5M (yes that's pure speculation but it is based on how interested every fanbase with a hole at forward seems to be in Briere).

Given the decline in his production, his advancing age, and his history of concussions, I doubt anyone will pay him anywhere near what Philly did. I'd expect him to get a short-term contract in the $2.5m-3.5m range.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
It really depends on the price, but it would be great to bring in another clutch veteran to this forward corps. With Flip looking all but gone, having another second line center option would be fantastic. On a one year deal for a reasonable salary, I think I'd be for it. It would allow for Datsyuk and Z to play together if Babcock wants, too.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Question; When Briere is bought out, can a team negotiate within right after, or do they have to wait till free agency?

Not really sure how that is going to work out, my opinion is they will be able to negotiate with them right away. Quite frankly it wouldn't surprise me with Philly making it official that he will be bought out, if teams have contacted his agent already.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Question; When Briere is bought out, can a team negotiate within right after, or do they have to wait till free agency?

The Flyers are buying out the remaining years on his contract. He is still a member of the organization, and will remain so until the end of the contract year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->