Confirmed with Link: Danny Briere UFA

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Rather give his spot for Tatar or Nyquist.

But wouldn't mind it if no re-sign with Flip and Brunner and no other comes. Reportedly only wants an year or two but I think he's going to NJ, WSH or something of that area.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
These are all situational, but as long as it doesn't bury Nyquist or Tatar (I don't count them playing on the 3rd line next year as 'burying') I'd like to take a run at Briere.

I think any other younger FA we sign will want too much term.

crashman

Brière would be a good Filppula replacement and stop-gap until a guy like Jarnkrok is ready, but he's 35 and I still wouldn't break the bank to sign the guy. He's been a playoff monster throughout his career and he has a right-handed shot, but I still rather the Wings go after Iginla if they're gonna dip in the UFA market.

Mount Royal

Achtung, baby
May 11, 2010
Montreal
He's old, small and gets worn down by injuries, but the guy's a gamer.

50G, 109P in 108 playoff games. It's looking like a weak FA pool this year too. I wouldn't mind Briere for a year as long as it doesn't take time away from Tatar or Nyquist.

If we can't re-sign Brunner, I'd be more open to picking him up. Would prefer Jagr or Iggy, but I wouldn't complain with Briere.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
He's old, small and gets worn down by injuries, but the guy's a gamer.

50G, 109P in 108 playoff games. It's looking like a weak FA pool this year too. I wouldn't mind Briere for a year as long as it doesn't take time away from Tatar or Nyquist.

If we can't re-sign Brunner, I'd be more open to picking him up. Would prefer Jagr or Iggy, but I wouldn't complain with Briere.

Don't think he has much left in the tank for another 82 game season.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Brière would be a good Filppula replacement and stop-gap until a guy like Jarnkrok is ready, but he's 35 and I still wouldn't break the bank to sign the guy. He's been a playoff monster throughout his career and he has a right-handed shot, but I still rather the Wings go after Iginla if they're gonna dip in the UFA market.

If we're under the cap and it doesn't hurt other roster moves, does it really matter what we give Briere (or any player) on a short term deal? I'd go back to the Semin deal last year, where Carolina threw $7m at him for one year. It was a lot more than many teams were rumored to want to pay for the guy, but Carolina could afford it, so why not?

Might be a benefit with these older guys if we do have some cap space. Throw a one or two year deal for bigger bucks at them, and use them to fill out the roster. Hard to do right now with so many middling guys, but maybe an option down the road.

crashman

If we're under the cap and it doesn't hurt other roster moves, does it really matter what we give Briere (or any player) on a short term deal? I'd go back to the Semin deal last year, where Carolina threw $7m at him for one year. It was a lot more than many teams were rumored to want to pay for the guy, but Carolina could afford it, so why not?

Might be a benefit with these older guys if we do have some cap space. Throw a one or two year deal for bigger bucks at them, and use them to fill out the roster. Hard to do right now with so many middling guys, but maybe an option down the road.

I agree, and that's what I'd like to see the Wings do. The problem is that they really need to dump 2 or 3 forwards because Tatar and Nyquist HAVE to be playing full-time, especially if Filppula goes unsigned. I personally want Tootoo gone more than anyone else, then it's Sammy, Emmerton and Eaves that should be considered next.

I think Holland and Babcock planned on letting these guys fight for jobs in training camp last year, but they never had a camp because of the lockout. This is the year that training camp is going to be competitive.

But yeah, I'd like to see the Wings bring in an established scorer short-term, and it doesnt really matter if its a center or winger, because Z plays both very well. There might be a few good players available with these buyouts and teams trying to get under the lower cap.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
ive suggested in another thread that we could go down this road. i hope not though...

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I've got to assume the guy wants a Cup and will pick a handful of teams to take a discount. He's had his big payday contract.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
NO!!!! the Wings should focus on adding some beef on the wings if anything. I think they should focus on Horton, Clarkson, Iginla, Bickell. There is no need for more small, tiny players.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I've got to assume the guy wants a Cup and will pick a handful of teams to take a discount. He's had his big payday contract.

Yeah, but the bigger the handful of Cup-contending teams interested, the less of a discount he'd have to take on a short-term deal. If any.

I'd still take Briere over Jagr at this stage in #68's career, as I don't think he'd be effective over a full season. But oh man, those freaking hands! His assist on Bergeron's second goal in game 4 was amazing.

Actually, I would take Jagr over Briere if Jagr committed to growing out his glorious early '90's Penguins mullet. That alone would be worth an extra $500k and NTC on his next deal.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
He's a defensive liability that people wouldn't even be talking about for not his playoff monster reputation. Not a good fit for Detroit and not a good fit for Babcock.

RedWingsNow*

What I'm hearing is he wants to stay on the East coast.

RedWingsNow*

NO!!!! the Wings should focus on adding some beef on the wings if anything. I think they should focus on Horton, Clarkson, Iginla, Bickell. There is no need for more small, tiny players.

Clarkson and Bickell are going to be monstrously overpriced

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
That's exactly what Briere is. I'd wager that he out produces the majority of UFAs next year.

Yeah, dunno if I said it on these forums or not but this is 100% true:

I have a buddy who's a Flyers fanatic and he says the general feeling in the fanbase is that Briere is FINE, they're mad at the idiot GM for signing him to a contract that would basically *have* to be ripped up eventually.

He said that if DB went to Detroit we'd be "pleased" but it all depended on the price.

Unfortunately I've read on multiple forums (including this one) that he's not interested in being too far away from his kids. Which sorta puts in him the other Division of the Eastern next year; probably New Jersey or Washington or someone like that.

But it's the same with Weiss right; if we're signing a player that age it's just a stop gap rental. I don't understand how ppl can be simultaneously for "doing something RIGHT NOW because we aren't a cup team this very moment" and yet against guys like Briere and Weiss because "OMG he's a smurf".

Mind boggling at times.

mukluks

Oct 18, 2011
What I don't understand is all the posters who seem to ignore the fact that Jim Nill, Ken Holland and Babcock have all stated on multiple occasions over the last year or two that the team needs to get bigger. I love our skill guys, D and Z are great, love Tatar and Nyquist too but those guys need to be complimented by bigger top 6 guys if we are to have our best chance at a cup or two.
I also don't understand the overpriced theme on the ufa's out there. Market price is market price (with a few exceptions of really overpaid guys), we can afford a Horton or Clarkson easily if we want them. It is not always about just players salary as if in a bubble, the team needs have to come into play as well.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
These are all situational, but as long as it doesn't bury Nyquist or Tatar (I don't count them playing on the 3rd line next year as 'burying') I'd like to take a run at Briere.

I think any other younger FA we sign will want too much term.

These mirror my sentiments as well.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I would go for him, but it doesn't appear that Detroit is in the location that will attract him.

Unfortunate considering how clutch he has appeared to be throughout the years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->