Danny Battochio

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyersFan10*

Ok, so the Ottawa 67's did the unthinkable and have made the Memorial Cup tournament. Battochio was probably the best goalie during the CHL playoffs this year and really stepped up his game. Now, if there is a draft, does Battochio's performance affect his draft position. If so, what round do you see Battochio being taken in?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I've seen a little of this kid and he is something else. Where was he in the last few years and what did he do?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Danny Battochio has been absolutely incredible this entire season. He has only had one questionable game, and the others were awesome.

This kid has definately come out of nowhere. He wasn't drafted into the OHL, but came to the 67s as a walk-on. He quickly earned a back-up job to Lukas Mensator and this year he has really shown what he can do.

Many of you have probably only seen him during the playoffs or in this Kelowna game, but I can tell you, this kid has played like this all year. It is no fluke.

He is 20, so I'm pretty sure that he can sign with whichever team he likes as he went undrafted. I could be wrong though, as he may not have declared himself eligible for previous drafts, but then he would definately enter this years.

And I can tell you that teams are interested. I was at a 67s game earlier in the playoffs, and Mike Barnett of the Phoenix Coyotes was there. I actually got a chance to ask him who he came to watch, and it was Battochio.
When the GM of a NHL team comes to watch, not just a scout, you know they are interested.

Youreallygotme

Aug 21, 2003
Kelowna BC
TheCoach said:
Danny Battochio has been absolutely incredible this entire season. He has only had one questionable game, and the others were awesome.

This kid has definately come out of nowhere. He wasn't drafted into the OHL, but came to the 67s as a walk-on. He quickly earned a back-up job to Lukas Mensator and this year he has really shown what he can do.

Many of you have probably only seen him during the playoffs or in this Kelowna game, but I can tell you, this kid has played like this all year. It is no fluke.

He is 20, so I'm pretty sure that he can sign with whichever team he likes as he went undrafted. I could be wrong though, as he may not have declared himself eligible for previous drafts, but then he would definately enter this years.

And I can tell you that teams are interested. I was at a 67s game earlier in the playoffs, and Mike Barnett of the Phoenix Coyotes was there. I actually got a chance to ask him who he came to watch, and it was Battochio.
When the GM of a NHL team comes to watch, not just a scout, you know they are interested.

I have only seen him in the Kelowna game, but nobody could fluke out that many times. He was simply sensational. He won them the game. I'm stunned.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
nucks&flames said:
I have only seen him in the Kelowna game, but nobody could fluke out that many times. He was simply sensational. He won them the game. I'm stunned.

I sat 5 rows behind him when he made that unbelievable save on Comeau (i think) when he was all alone and deked out the goalie but gloved it w/ an empty net !!!!!

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best save i've ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flip588

Mar 22, 2004
It's nice to see him perform well. He's been through a lot in his young life, including brain surgery as mentioned earlier.

This guy has great reflexes and played outstanding today. I'm rooting for him to carry the underdog 67's to the Memorial Cup title now matter how improbable that sounds.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
TheCoach said:

Battochio is 19 and will be a 20 yr old for the 2005/2006 season w/Ottawa. It was his draft year last year as he is a late '85 born.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Wow. Battochio made a CHL-championship-record 62 stops on 64 shots against Kelowna this evening.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Battochio had a great game and he's in a zone, but he's an '85, he's 5'10", and he's a bit of a flopper. There are a couple guys like this somewhere in the CHL every year. Yeomans isn't much different. Neither is Adam Dennis, who was outstanding to get Guelph to the Memorial Cup last year and then wasn't drafted.

Westblom is two years younger and the better pro prospect of the two goaltenders playing today. 6'2", technically sound, moves well in the net. His glove hand needs a little work, but he has some nice raw potential. His draft position should really get a boost with the recent exposure he's gotten. Probably a 5th-6th round pick.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Why the hell does the height of the goalie mater? They need to be able to stand up to physical play or something? Now I realize that being bigger allows your body to cover more of the net, but does 4 inches of height really change much?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Another pro for Danny Battochio is that he has been facing NHL shots this year. There have been several Ottawa Senators practicing with the 67s this year, including Daniel Alfredsson. This could have only helped the kid.

Not only that, but he got a chance to practice with Dominik Hasek. Learning from a HOF goalie could only help a young guy like Battochio. While they have different styles, Hasek's work ethic and preparation has made a huge impact on all of the 67s goalies.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Egil said:
Why the hell does the height of the goalie mater? They need to be able to stand up to physical play or something? Now I realize that being bigger allows your body to cover more of the net, but does 4 inches of height really change much?

Well I'd love to say the height of the goaltender doesnt matter at all.....however that would be bs...........just ask devan dubnyk and marek schwarz :dunno:

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
But their are countless examples of small NHL goalies.

Ron Tugnutt (5-11)
Artus Irbe (5-8)
Curtis Jospeh (5-11)
Domink Hasek (5-11)
Ed Belfour (5-11)

Are these goalies no good because they are small? Just because we had a recent imbalance favouring large possitionaly sound puck blockers (which is about to be fixed, BTW) over the smaller, faster goalies? I don't think so.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Egil said:

Getting in butterfly position allows the goalie to cover the lower part of the net easier, plus they remain tall enough to have their upper body cover more of the net. Also, a taller kid could have a bigger frame and not be "out of shape." It's not just an extra four inches.

Plus, if a goalie has amazing athletic ability, that just makes it all that much harder to score on him.

That's not to say small goalies aren't good. But large athletic goalies are much harder to score on than small athletic goalies.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Egil said:

Because it's an extra 4 inches you're giving up over your shoulder when you butterfly. Smaller goalies can be successful, certainly, but they tend to have to play more aggressive, coming out further and challenging shooters. Some goalies have made this work, and some can overcome it with reflexes and acrobatics. But it is a disadvantage and makes for a harder road to the NHL, which is something scouts definitely take into consideration. Like with any position, being small makes you less of a "safe" pick, all else being equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad