Dannis V. Halak

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Who will be the better NHL netminder?
It's debateable of course whether either one of them will ever even make the NHL. But if they do... I'm sort of seeing Danis settling in as a competent small-games backup kind of guy. He just hasn't really seemed to get any better from the time the Habs signed him up until now. He basically arrived from college as a guy who could step in to some games if needed, he showed a basic ability to handle NHL action in his days with the Habs early last season while Huet was still injured, and... well... he just hasn't ever seemed to really get noticeably better, and he'll be turning 26 at the end of this season.

Halak meanwhile outplayed Danis down the stretch in Hamilton last year. That's perhaps partly a hot streak for Halak and a cold streak for Danis. But still... I'd say they are nevertheless approximately equal in ability right now. And then Halak is 4 years younger with lots more time to gain experience and prove himself, so... ultimately I think you have to go with Halak for total upside.

Depends on what you're looking for, of course... there is a far greater chance that Danis will see some NHL action over the next 2 seasons. But I'd have to hope that Halak still has lots of time to get better and better and ultimately surpass Danis before all is said and done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad