Denmark: Danish Prospects

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
haha, good catch. Many names to juggle with, so you are bound to get it wrong once in awhile.
If I had also written Søren True, then it must have been a fountain of youth in circulation! :laugh:

well I misspelled youth, soo I guess we are all capable of mistakes :sarcasm:

But I get it, I was just poking at you :)

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Have watched nearly all Ehlers games this season. Am a little dissapointed With him so far...

Expected him to be more disciplined and take over games more consistently.

Bjorkstrand still keeps on trucking, even though the W is tougher. Small chance olli becomes the better player? He has a money shot like no other. Shoots from everywhere and hits the net every time!!

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Have watched nearly all Ehlers games this season. Am a little dissapointed With him so far...

Expected him to be more disciplined and take over games more consistently.

Bjorkstrand still keeps on trucking, even though the W is tougher. Small chance olli becomes the better player? He has a money shot like no other. Shoots from everywhere and hits the net every time!!

Seems Halifax is really struggling getting a 0-9 beating. So Ehlers production is really hurting from being on this team. 4G 4A in 8 games (so looks like a PPG this season).

Oliver Bjørkstrand had a hat trick against Saskatoon Blades after a few matches with little production.
He is so far 9G 6A in 15 games, so he will likely not produce quite as much as last season.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Indeed :) Let's hope Hockey really takes off in Denmark. :)

First step should be at least to the level where we can fill the Danish league with goalies instead of having mostly import goalies.
It is only Rødovre with Sebastian Dahm and Gentofte with Frederik Hansen/Christian Larsen that “does Danish“.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
First step should be at least to the level where we can fill the Danish league with goalies instead of having mostly import goalies.
It is only Rødovre with Sebastian Dahm and Gentofte with Frederik Hansen/Christian Larsen that “does Danish“.

True that :D

In other news, the Danish U18 team were smashed 6-1 today by Germany....

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Ehlers had a hatrick vs Acadie-Bathurst and a goal in the shootout....unreal goal at the end. (and properly impossible at nhl level)
Winnipeg Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff was in the house watching.

last goal plus his shootout goal.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup has committed to Maine

Danish top 1998 born prospect; Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup has committed to the University of Maine for the fall of 2017.

mainehockeyjournal

He has had a good start to the season in USPHL 16U, where he is currently leading his team with 11 goals and 5 assists in 8 games. Furthermore his team; Selects Academy has just won "New England Regionals" qualifying them to the national championship; USAHNationals.

One can wonder why so few Danes are pursuing a hockey "education" in an American college since it will also give them a good academic education while playing hockey. That way they will have something to fall back on if needed, or when their hockey career ends.

Last edited:

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
One can wonder why so few Danes are pursuing a hockey "education" in an American college since it will also give them a good academic education while playing hockey. That way they will have something to fall back on if needed, or when their hockey career ends.

My guess would be that they are not aware that such an opportunity exists and therefor do not pursue it. Also leaving your parents at the age of 16 or 17 sounds exciting for most boys, but when it comes down to it, not all have what it takes and are willing to say adieu to the comfort of family.

How many have done it so far? Oliver Lauridsen is the only one that rings a bell, but more might have slipped my mind.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
My guess would be that they are not aware that such an opportunity exists and therefor do not pursue it. Also leaving your parents at the age of 16 or 17 sounds exciting for most boys, but when it comes down to it, not all have what it takes and are willing to say adieu to the comfort of family.

How many have done it so far? Oliver Lauridsen is the only one that rings a bell, but more might have slipped my mind.

Patrick Russell this season. was rookie of the week last week for st. cloud.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Danish top 1998 born prospect; Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup has committed to the University of Maine for the fall of 2017.

mainehockeyjournal

He has had a good start to the season in USPHL 16U, where he is currently leading his team with 11 goals and 5 assists in 8 games. Furthermore his team; Selects Academy has just won "New England Regionals" qualifying them to the national championship; USAHNationals.

It seems that more and more Danes are now going for an early North American option instead of for instance hockey-gymnasium in Sweden. The advantage is that they can continue with university-hockey, which is not an option in Europe.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
After his somewhat timid start to the season, with just 9 points in 9 games in October, Nikolaj Ehlers has really turned it around. He has 19 points in 8 games so far in November, which means that he has equaled his PPG pace from last year already. Before the season I didn't think he would be able to score at the same pace this year, particularly because of how many great players Halifax has lost, but that he is able to put up this kind of numbers already, especially his bad season start taken into account, is very encouraging.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
After his somewhat timid start to the season, with just 9 points in 9 games in October, Nikolaj Ehlers has really turned it around. He has 19 points in 8 games so far in November, which means that he has equaled his PPG pace from last year already. Before the season I didn't think he would be able to score at the same pace this year, particularly because of how many great players Halifax has lost, but that he is able to put up this kind of numbers already, especially his bad season start taken into account, is very encouraging.

Got into a fight the other day too....Goon

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen

I still doubt he can get the same numbers as last year with this Halifax team (and the bad start of the season),*but good to see he is on a good pace lately. Still think he could score more though :sarcasm:

Oliver Bjørkstrand is in a similar situation with a weakened Portland Winterhawks, but also maintains good numbers in spite of that.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
I still doubt he can get the same numbers as last year with this Halifax team (and the bad start of the season),*but good to see he is on a good pace lately. Still think he could score more though :sarcasm:

Oliver Bjørkstrand is in a similar situation with a weakened Portland Winterhawks, but also maintains good numbers in spite of that.

Portland are weakened but not as much as halifax....When you have players like Petan still playing there.

Halifax have Futale as the only other drafted player. They do have some 2015 eligible but still.

Halifax are just awful. Ehlers involved in 55% of their goals

Last edited:

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010

It going to be hard to reach 104 points again, mostly because he already missed 8 games with his NHL camp, and will probably miss another 5 or so games at the WJC. If he plays 55 games he would need to score 1.88 PPG, which would be very impressive on that team. But if he continues like he has done so far in November with 21 points in 9 games, it suddenly doesn't look so unlikely.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
He has the highest ppg avg. in the league right now.

He is shutting me up big time :D But I don't mind at all :D

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Ehlers is tearing the Q a new one. Almost 3 PPG so far this month, and over 2 PPG for the season. I am starting to believe he can top his totals from last year. It even appears that he was on another line than usual, and he just keeps scoring.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Pretty insane with 11 points in 2 games.

But Ehlers was also a slow starter last year. Maybe it was because of heavy training during the summer holidays and it took some time for him to get his top speed back??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad