Denmark: Danish NT roster vs Norway 8-9th Nov.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
New coach Janne Karlsson is his first job for the Danish NT will be facing arch-enemy Norway in dual training matches, while Karjala Cup takes place for the big European teams.

Goalies:
Patrick Galbraith, Karlskrona - Allsvenskan.
Sebastian Dahm, Rødovre - Danish league.
Simon Nielsen, Lukko - Liiga (Finland).

Defense:
Daniel Nielsen, Hamburg Freezers - DEL
Mads Bødker, Yuzhny Ural Orsk - VHL
Jesper B. Jensen, Rögle - Allsvenskan
Emil Kristensen, Oskarshamn - Allsvenskan
Phillip Bruggisser, Kristianstad - Sweden Division 1
Rasmus Nielsen, Herning - Danish league.
Kasper Jensen, Aalborg - Danish league.
Simon Grønvaldt, Aalborg - Danish league.
Philip Hersby, Esbjerg - Danish league.

Offense:
Patrick Bjorkstrand, Medvescak Zagreb - KHL
Nichlas Hardt, Jokerit - Liiga (Finland).
Mads Christensen, Eisbären Berlin - DEL
Morten Madsen, Hamburg Freezers - DEL
Julian Jakobsen, Hamburg Freezers - DEL
Kim Staal, Starbulls Rosenheim - DEL2
Frederik Storm, Malmø - Allsvenskan
Morten Poulsen, Oskarshamn - Allsvenskan
Jesper Jensen, Karlskrona - Allsvenskan
Morten Andreasen, Odense - Danish league.
Kirill Starkov, Esbjerg - Danish league
Anders Poulsen, Herning - Danish league.

So as usual more "names" in the forward group than in defense.

A bit disappointed that George Sørensen didn't get a chance, since he has been amazing so far, while Dahm has experience with the NT, but hasn't really been impressing this season so far.

Last edited:

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Stefan Lassen and Morten Green out with personal issues. Lasse Lassen available but not chosen.

Think the NT-coach wants at least two safe bets on the goalie side, and while Georg Sørensen has put up good numbers and Dahm not, A) It's still a small sample size and B) Dahm has had his games. You gotta remember the difference in teams these guys have in front of them. Dahm is playing behind 2/3 jr-D. If anything you'd think he'd send a signal to Simon Nielsen and have Georg Sørensen on there instead of him. My biased line of though :)

robwangjing

Jul 10, 2013
Beijing
This is for Norway.
From this website: http://www.hockey.no/nyheter/Sider/Landskampene-mot-Danmark-i-DnB-Arena.aspx#.UnByGP49Lcs

Goalies (3):

Lars Haugen, Minsk (KHL)
Lars Volden, Espoo Blues (FIN)
Steffen Søberg, Vålerenga

Defence (8):

Alexander Bonsaksen, VÃ¥lerenga
Nicolai Bryhnisveen, Lillehammer
Jonas Holøs, Yaroslavl (KHL)
Aleksander Rindal, Södertälje (SWE)
Henrik Solberg, Stavanger Oilers
Daniel Sørvik, Vålerenga
Ole-Kristian Tollefsen, Färjestad BK (SWE)
Mats Trygg, Lørenskog

Offense (14):

Anders Bastiansen, Färjestad BK (SWE)
Robin Dahlstrøm, Ôrebro (SWE)
Kristian Forsberg, Modo (SWE)
Mads Hansen, Storhamar Dragons
Marius Holtet, Färjestad BK (SWE)
Fredrik Lystad Jacobsen, Storhamar Dragons
Andreas Martinsen, Düsseldorf (DEL)
Ken Andre Olimb, Düsseldorf (DEL)
Mathis Olimb, Frölunda (SWE)
Mats Rosseli Olsen, Frölunda (SWE)
Niklas Roest, Karlskoga BK (SWE)
Martin Røymark, Färjestad BK (SWE)
Per-Åge Skrøder, Modo (SWE)
Patrick Thoresen, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)

Overall I think team Norway looks stronger than Denmark when comparing the two rosters for the two friendly games.

What do you think Justinov and Bank, do you think Denmark can win this?

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
On paper this is a walkover for Norway. And back in time Norway have had the upper end on our rivalry.

I do not expect much of Denmark. Our team is weak without our NHL-roster and further more we have a new coach that might try out some new stuff.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
On paper this is a walkover for Norway. And back in time Norway have had the upper end on our rivalry.

I do not expect much of Denmark. Our team is weak without our NHL-roster and further more we have a new coach that might try out some new stuff.

Pretty much this... Strong Norwegian team against a gathering of tier II-players from Sweden and the Danish League and a few DEL-guys + Bjorkstrand/Bødker/Hardt. But Nordic rivalries are always fun :)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Overall I think team Norway looks stronger than Denmark when comparing the two rosters for the two friendly games.

What do you think Justinov and Bank, do you think Denmark can win this?

Thanks for providing the Norwegian roster.
On paper the Norwegians are stronger, but it's a derby, so all is possible (but that doesn't mean likely).
If Patrick Galbraith continues his great form in goal, then there definitely is a chance!

Guess: Probably Denmark will play one match equally and lose big the other one.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Think the NT-coach wants at least two safe bets on the goalie side, and while Georg Sørensen has put up good numbers and Dahm not, A) It's still a small sample size and B) Dahm has had his games. You gotta remember the difference in teams these guys have in front of them. Dahm is playing behind 2/3 jr-D. If anything you'd think he'd send a signal to Simon Nielsen and have Georg Sørensen on there instead of him. My biased line of though :)

You are probably right here! Dahm have had junior defense around him, while Sørensen has been on a way better team.
Sørensen could have taken the place from Simon Nielsen until he found a club; which he has (though not a new one).!
He has signed a contract with Lukko (whom didn't extend his contract after last season).
So possibly Simon Nielsen had to accept a pay-cut......but good to see him back in the Finnish league.

robwangjing

Jul 10, 2013
Beijing
No problem. I think it's more fun to follow other smaller hockey nations since China is not very big too.

Who is the better goalkeeper of Patrick Galbraith and Simon Nielsen? Both have played at about the same level their whole careers and are the same age. And I only know them by stats since I have never seen them play.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
No problem. I think it's more fun to follow other smaller hockey nations since China is not very big too.

Who is the better goalkeeper of Patrick Galbraith and Simon Nielsen? Both have played at about the same level their whole careers and are the same age. And I only know them by stats since I have never seen them play.

Normally Patrick Galbraith has been 2nd keeper and Simon Nielsen 3'rd keeper after Frederik Andersen.
Galbraith have had tendencies to fluctuate in his performances, while Simon Nielsen keeps a more stable level. But all in all they are very equal.

Last season Patrick Galbraith really had bad start in SHL and was transferred to Allsvenskan. Then he ended the season pretty well, and has started this year being very good (top 3 in Allsvenskan).

Simon Nielsen has been a reserve keeper in Lukko and did OK, but actually passed Galbraith in the NT roster last season; but without having played this season, so far it will be Galbraith that have the lead.

Heia Norge

Mar 14, 2012
Norway
K.A Olimb and Thoresen is out. Olimb with a broken thumb. Not sure why Thoresen is out though, maybe some personal issues. Some rumors that Sondre Olden will replace one of them.The games against Denmark are always intense and very close. And Denmark with a new coach it can be interesting.

Who is the new coach for the Danes?

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
K.A Olimb and Thoresen is out. Olimb with a broken thumb. Not sure why Thoresen is out though, maybe some personal issues. Some rumors that Sondre Olden will replace one of them.The games against Denmark are always intense and very close. And Denmark with a new coach it can be interesting.

Who is the new coach for the Danes?

It's Janne Karlsson:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/staff.php?staff=150

With Olimb and Thoresen out it takes some of the edge off the Norwegian advantage on paper, but they will still be favourites based on the rosters available.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Imo, this is an easy Norwegian win... I have come to not expect anything against Norway.. :D

When we never except anything and there is no pressure Danish teams often play well.....:D
But I still don't expect anything, even with that in mind....
I'll save the victories over Norway for the next WC's :sarcasm:

robwangjing

Jul 10, 2013
Beijing
Ah I see thanks for the answer. :nod: It's both good and bad for Denmark then, that you have two good goalkeepers at this level. But it's a big gap in level between them and Frederik Andersen(?), your goalkeeper in NHL. In Norway too between Volden and Haugen it's a big gap.

I think in almost all positions it's like this. If Denmark or Norway have their 5-10 top players injured or unplayable the teams will be terribly crippled in the WC.

So how well do you think a team from Denmark would do in the WC if it consisted of only the best players from the Danish league. And same for Norway with the best players from Norwegian league only. Would both drop down to WC Division 1 or how well would you do? In a worst case scenario.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
So how well do you think a team from Denmark would do in the WC if it consisted of only the best players from the Danish league. And same for Norway with the best players from Norwegian league only. Would both drop down to WC Division 1 or how well would you do? In a worst case scenario.

It wouldnt even be a worst case scenario. If Denmark was only reliable on players from the danish league we would get relegated this year, no doubt. It is a quantum leap in different levels comapring the danish league to one of the bigger ones in Europe.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
The Danish league is a development league; then there is a good jump in quality to Allsvenskan and DEL. Without players from those leagues we would relegate for sure.
Danish league is likely like Division 1 in Sweden (third tier), I reckon.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Ah I see thanks for the answer. :nod: It's both good and bad for Denmark then, that you have two good goalkeepers at this level. But it's a big gap in level between them and Frederik Andersen(?), your goalkeeper in NHL. In Norway too between Volden and Haugen it's a big gap.

I think in almost all positions it's like this. If Denmark or Norway have their 5-10 top players injured or unplayable the teams will be terribly crippled in the WC.

If we we're only to play with players from the Danish League that would most certainly be a worst case scenario and it would need a miracle to avoid relegation. The Danish League isn't what it has been. Not knowing the WC div. 1 very well I'd think we'd be somewhere around the middle of the pack.

If Denmark were to miss the top 5 players it wouldn't be catastrophic(We're kinda getting used to missing the NHL-players) but it means our chances go from quarter finals to avoid relegation.

Last edited:

robwangjing

Jul 10, 2013
Beijing
Do you think it's the same case for Norway?

Then you clarified what I already expected that both teams would probably get relegated. It's a shame.

I know this might ruin this thread a bit but I have another question on top of that.

If all Danish and Norwegian players never left the Danish/Norwegian league, do you think everyone would have reached their level of professionalism as they have today. Also do you think more player would have had the ability to develop more with better Danish/Norwegian players around them, or is the best way to go develop players through Germany, Finland and Sweden when they are "too good" for the Danish/Norwegian league?

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen

Then you clarified what I already expected that both teams would probably get relegated. It's a shame.

I know this might ruin this thread a bit but I have another question on top of that.

If all Danish and Norwegian players never left the Danish/Norwegian league, do you think everyone would have reached their level of professionalism as they have today. Also do you think more player would have had the ability to develop more with better Danish/Norwegian players around them, or is the best way to go develop players through Germany, Finland and Sweden when they are "too good" for the Danish/Norwegian league?

Well, if all countries could only rely on players from their own league, I am not so sure we would have a problem staying up. I must admit I dont know much about other european leagues, but surely the danish league is as strong as the french, italian, latvian, austrian and slovenian league? Maybe also the norwegian.

No, the danish topplayers would not get as good as they are now if they only were playing in the danish league. But maybe the talentmass in Denmark would get better because they have better players on their side.

Heia Norge

Mar 14, 2012
Norway

Without players playing in SEL/DEL/KHL our National team would be facing some problems, that’s for sure. I remember back in WC 2001, our head coach back then was Leif Boork. I remember there were some difficulties between our professional players and Leif. For example our best player back then Espen Knutsen didn’t want to play on our national team because of Boork being head coach. I don’t remember exactly how many foreign league players we had back then( I think it was something like 7 or 8 players), but none of them wanted to play for Boork. I Don’t know why they didn’t, I remember we had a Swedish coach back in the early 90’s as well (think his name was Bengt Olsson) and he was a very good coach and there were not any problems with the players back then. Maybe Boork is a very controversial guy? Who knows :). The Norwegian Hockey Association got heavily criticized for acquiring a coach that players didn’t want to play under.

So in the WC 2001 we got relegated, and that year we only had players from our own Norwegian Get-league participating. In 2002 Roy Johansen took over. I remember the 1-Division (B-Championship) tournament in 2002, I was surprised when I looked at the roster and could read that we had players playing in Sweden and Germany on our National team! LoL it was like I had forgotten about the Norwegian players playing in foreign leagues. The roster was very different form the team that Boork had managed.

Leif Boork once said: You Norwegians have to develop your own playing style. And when I think about it Roy Johansen have found a way for our team. I would say that when Norway plays evenly matched Nations, like Denmark and Belarus for example the team mainly focus on tight defense in the neutral zone. And that’s about the closest you can get to the “Norwegian style†I think :)

Two questions for Danes on here:

• Which team in Denmark has won most Championships?
(Here in Norway it’s Vålerenga (based in Oslo)

• Which team in Denmark have produced most talents? Players that have gone to
NHL or Sweden?

(Here in Norway it’s a club called Manglerud Star (based in Oslo)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Two questions for Danes on here:

• Which team in Denmark has won most Championships?
(Here in Norway it’s Vålerenga (based in Oslo)

• Which team in Denmark have produced most talents? Players that have gone to
NHL or Sweden?

(Here in Norway it’s a club called Manglerud Star (based in Oslo)

The most winning team is Herning with 15 titles! [from the Jutland Heath traditionally the place of wool production so that's why they are called "Uld-jyder"].

When it comes to most talents it's two places: Herning and Rødovre (Copenhagen suburb).

Herning: Frans Nielsen, Peter Regin, Frederik Andersen, Nicklas Jensen, Patrick & Oliver Bjørkstrand, Thomas Spelling, Mads Christensen, Stefan Lassen, Daniel Nielsen, Simon Nielsen to name a few.

Rødovre: Mikkel Bødker, Lars Eller, Jannik Hansen, Morten Madsen, Nichlas Hardt, Mads Bødker, Jesper B Jensen, Mads Eller.

Hope I didn't forget anyone that deserved to be on the list; and I only chose current players.
Of the 7 NHL players Denmark have right now Philip Larsen (from Esbjerg) is the only one not from Rødovre or Herning (that have 3 each).

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark

I'm not confident enough to pass judgement over the Norwegian NT but I'd image it's quite similar. The difference between our two countries hockey culture seems very alike and it makes the fact that we seems to lose every time we meet up so much more pain full. Love/hate brother-thing :)

The Danish players at the NHL levels has actually in some cases played in the Danish League. Peter Regin and Jannik Hansen were both 1st line players in Herning and Rodovre before leaving for Timrå and WHL. But that was at an extremely young age. Frederik Andersen has to played several seasons in the Danish League. He was a bit older but I guess goalies take more time to develop. Point is - it can be done but far most of our top talent are better off going to Sweden in a young age to face better competition and training environments IMO. Valdemar who writes on this site to could properly answer better about talent development so I'll leave for him to confirm/discard what I've written so far. At the pro level our best players are no doubt better off going abroad even to the level of Allsvenskan it would seem. The competition, the money(And by extension of that, the time players can afford to put in to their training) the clubs can offer players in the Danish League is simply not up to the standards of NHL, AHL, Elitserien or even DEL. Don't think there's to many full time pros in the Danish League. Remember it being a big thing when Karvinen went full time in Rødovre some years ago. Don't know if he's still on full time although I doubt it. So going abroad gives the National Team better players. Until they become so good they'll go to North America. Then we can complain about us not making the Olympics and dream about the team we could put together... Aah sweet dreams :puppy:

ficohok*

Any stream links for today's game ? I want to see Bjorkstrand in action :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->