Sportsnet: Daniel Winnik on salute-gate: ‘I just remember us being really pissed off’

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I just spoke to a guy from Toronto today. I said " they are booing them again." He said " They should boo!" People forget who pays for this game and it high time they were reminded.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Leaf fans at Scotiabank are ripped constantly for being too quiet. They do this and show emotion, and they are all a-holes...
Plus I'm sure it wasn't every single Leafs fan in attendance who was booing Gardiner, so they are lumping everyone together which is not fair.

Now I was watching the game at home and when Gardiner made the mistake I screamed "OMG Gardiner what the hell are you doing on that play" however that was it so I could get that frustration out of me in the moment.

Reactions: JustAShadow

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I just spoke to a guy from Toronto today. I said " they are booing them again." He said " They should boo!" People forget who pays for this game and it high time they were reminded.
You could always just stop financially supporting them

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
What did those picks we got for him amount to?
The 4th round pick in 2015 Toronto got for him was traded to Edmonton for Martin Marincin. The 2nd round pick in 2016 they got was traded back to Pittsburgh in the Kessel trade when they acquired Kapanen.

The second time Winnik was traded to Washington for Brooks Laich, Connor Carrick and a 2nd round pick in 2016 from the Capitals which the Leafs used to select Carl Grundstrom.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slyfox

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
A generation of weak, pathetic snowflakes that go out of their way to be offended. If it wasn't so pathetic having so many negative social impacts it would be funny.

I'm not sure who you are talking about here. Are the snowflakes the people who are upset and offended by Gardiner's play so much that they boo him? Or is it the people who don't like the booing? Or is it the people upset about people being upset about booing?

Honestly can't tell.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
The giveaway that led to the booing was worth the booing. That kind of head up his own *** defense doesn't fly in peewee, let alone the NHL.

The NHL is a competitive league, we are here for results before personalities.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
The 4th round pick in 2015 Toronto got for him was traded to Edmonton for Martin Marincin. The 2nd round pick in 2016 they got was traded back to Pittsburgh in the Kessel trade when they acquired Kapanen.

The second time Winnik was traded to Washington for Brooks Laich, Connor Carrick and a 2nd round pick in 2016 from the Capitals which the Leafs used to select Carl Grundstrom.
Thanks a lot! Carl Grundstrom looks good and we still have a pick from the Carrick trade to Dallas. Not bad.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
The Toronto media is blowing this way out of proportion. I really hope they win tonight and put together a nice winning streak so that this story will be put to bed. Otherwise, if they lose, I can already foresee tomorrow's headlines "Leafs team rattled after being booed by their own fans are now falling off the cliff".

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

I feel like people are purposely missing the point to try and make completely unrelated points for some reason.

"They should boo"....why exactly? Are we not being entertained by this team or should we legitimately boo until we get what we want?

If we're willing to boo Gardiner after an awful play and staunchly defend it as our right as fans do we also start booing Andersen after every questionable goal? Matthews after he fails to score in 4 or 5 straight? I'm just not sure why people are so quick to defend the right to trash Gardiner yet don't seem to clue in that we don't really boo anyone else after they make a bad decision....we usually get over it pretty quickly.

Fact is that as a group this fan base has a history of running people out of town who don't deserve it. Even now Phanuef and Kessel get boo'd. I mean how dare they have been our best players through a shitty period...lets not boo the 3rd/4th liners who were barely NHL caliber....lets boo the stars who showed up and performed every night despite having no depth, no goaltending, etc.

We're a top team, play an uptempo entertaining style, and have an extremely young team still developing that like it or not likely needs to run into Boston AND Tampa another 2-3 times in the playoffs before they get over the hump and see the success we all want.

So do we run everyone out of town after another playoff loss or 2 or 3? Because if that's how we're going to behave it won't be the media or salary cap breaking up this team before they reach their pinnacle.

Gardiner is not and has not been THAT bad that we should be booing him when he touches the puck after 1 bad play. And if the attitude is that "They should boo!" then it's a pointless discussion to have as that side of the debate clearly lacks some common sense.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I don't really understand the point of booing your own player in the first place. Is it to tell management what you think?

Well then, tell me what you think of a GM who makes player personnel decision based on fan reactions...

Reactions: Menzinger

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
I don't really understand the point of booing. Is it to tell management what you think?

Well then, tell me what you think of a GM who makes player personnel decision based on fan reactions...

And is it that Gardiner should get less ice time? Who deserves more?

The minute we lose a 50 point defencemen everyone will be here wishing they had a Gardiner for the 2nd pairing. But not the Gardiner they had....the non-flawed edition of Gardiner that only exists in their mind as no teams have 50 point defencemen without flaws that they want to give away.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The Toronto media is blowing this way out of proportion. I really hope they win tonight and put together a nice winning streak so that this story will be put to bed. Otherwise, if they lose, I can already foresee tomorrow's headlines "Leafs team rattled after being booed by their own fans are now falling off the cliff".
They will also leave out that after Gardiner's mistake in the 2nd period they were able to tie the game when Marner scored in the 3rd period. So his mistake was not the game winning goal.

Reactions: Leaf4Life

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't really understand the point of booing your own player in the first place. Is it to tell management what you think?

Exactly. I hate the idea of booing these guys because most the time a lot of the problems originate from either management or coaching decisions. Players unfortunately always seem to bear the brunt of fan outbursts.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Like any spur of the moment emotional reactions it would vary from person to person.
I know what I didn't like about what happened and as a fan invested in the game, I vented. I didn't do anything with the expectation that Dubas would react.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
And is it that Gardiner should get less ice time? Who deserves more?

The minute we lose a 50 point defencemen everyone will be here wishing they had a Gardiner for the 2nd pairing. But not the Gardiner they had....the non-flawed edition of Gardiner that only exists in their mind as no teams have 50 point defencemen without flaws that they want to give away.

Dermott. Only reason it hasn’t happened is cuz we need to develop dermott more. Whereas gardiner can’t handle contact, dermott is built similarly to rielly. Also, forwards have figured out gardiner’s jukes. Dermott also has a higher conversion rate for stretch passes. His 13 points seems low, but he gets 3rd pairing es minutes and no pp time.

Only problem is that i am unsure if dermott can eclipse gardiner from an analytics standpoint.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Typical lying hockey player. These guys have zero character or integrity. Good job on the radio guys laughing at how ridiculous Winnck's lies were as soon as he got off the phone.

I remember us being really pissed off (at the fans). So how did it come about? "Uhhh...pause...nothing was said." Radio guys: "Good job not breaking, do you need to carry this line to your grave with you".

They were really pissed off, but nothing was said...20 guys just all spontaneously did the same thing.

God, I hate the hockey player code. Not an honest bone in their body, nothing a hockey player says should ever be taken seriously or as factual.

Kids, please don't be like hockey players.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I probably watched 95% of the games Winnick played as a leaf and my most fond memories of him are the draft picks we got for him.

Don’t even care to read the article and rehash the dismal years with the annual 18 wheeler going off the proverbial cliff. Hated so many players from those teams.

I was one of those bag head guys in the Florida game, still have that bag kickin’ around somewhere.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
My point is I support paying fans right to boo if they want to. If the players dont like it they can give a refund when they takes nights off. This is pro sports and they get paid to deliver. Most of us get fired when we don't !

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
My point is I support paying fans right to boo if they want to. If the players dont like it they can give a refund when they takes nights off. This is pro sports and they get paid to deliver. Most of us get fired when we don't !

If you over produced at your job (50 point dmen are rare in the NHL...maybe 1-2 per team) and had 1 bad day they're not going to fire you from any job i've ever worked at.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I don't care what you say, the fans make the game. They pay for it, no one else. All these players are overpaid and you know it.With 46.1 percent of Cdns within $200 of bankrupcy, these players are in a for a rude shock if they go on strike again. No fans = no money.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I don't care what you say, the fans make the game. They pay for it, no one else. All these players are overpaid and you know it.With 46.1 percent of Cdns within $200 of bankrupcy, these players are in a for a rude shock if they go on strike again. No fans = no money.

Their scarce talent attracts those fans and helps to generate over $4B a year, and the players get half of it.

If you were talented enough at anything so much so that you were among the top 700 or so in the world, you would be handsomely compensated with guaranteed money too. But you're not, so you aren't and you seem very jealous of those who are.

The players have only ever gone on strike for 10 days, and that was in 1992. It's the owners who continuously impose work stoppages because they want to impose tighter rules and keep more money for themselves. I'll never understand why people are upset that players are well compensated, the revenues are there, would you rather Bell and Rogers hoard more of the revenues?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Their scarce talent attracts those fans and helps to generate over $4B a year, and the players get half of it.

If you were talented enough at anything so much so that you were among the top 700 or so in the world, you would be handsomely compensated with guaranteed money too. But you're not, so you aren't and you seem very jealous of those who are.

The players have only ever gone on strike for 10 days, and that was in 1992. It's the owners who continuously impose work stoppages because they want to impose tighter rules and keep more money for themselves. I'll never understand why people are upset that players are well compensated, the revenues are there, would you rather Bell and Rogers hoard more of the revenues?

I’ll never understand why folks will single out players for being greedy, and not say a single thing about ownership who are the worst of all parties involved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->