Sportsnet: Daniel Winnik on salute-gate: ‘I just remember us being really pissed off’

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
About 50 drunk idiots boo an NHL player and apparently the natural conclusion is to be mad at the other 20,000 people who didn't boo. These are the moments when you remember these guys live in a freaking bubble.
....... 50, this guy says. Lol.

Why lie to yourself?

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Everyone was pissed off. That game alone did more good for this franchise than any other game in the past 51 years. Led to the complete blowup and the current management and roster. Looking back, it's almost funny to me.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Winnik said himself, go to Pittsburgh and see how fans react and what they say.
I am tired of Toronto being treated differently than other NHL cities. Other fans boo players. It's ridiculous.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Salute gate was a fabricated story made by the media on a slow news day and many fell for it hook, line and sinker. This boo gate is real and hopefully short lived, let's all stop talking about it now.

Reactions: JustAShadow

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
You can hear the fans when you are sitting on the bench, but when you are on the ice and actually playing, your focus on the game blanks them out.

As for him losing the puck for the shortie, I don't think he misplayed it, so much as the other guy made a really good play to beat him. It happens. With Gardiner, it happens a bit too often for my taste, but I believe his plusses easily outweigh his minuses.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Leaf fans at Scotiabank are ripped constantly for being too quiet. They do this and show emotion, and they are all a-holes...

Reactions: LeafsNation75

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Leaf fans at Scotiabank are ripped constantly for being too quiet. They do this and show emotion, and they are all a-holes...
I agree .
gardner made a first year junior play and has made more than his share
plus not everybody is happy with nylander , I think the frustration is starting to simmer
2 straight losses in florid and an 0Fer for nylander boo birds will return
it's the frustration of fans continuing to hear huge contracts being thrown around undeservedly
they boo relief pitchers and quarterbacks all the time
time for gards to grow a pair and nylander to grow up

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
This is why players want a premium to play in Toronto. They’ll talk about this daily for a week or two but it’ll never go away as long as Jake is involved in the NHL
You didn’t read the article, did you?

Winnick said this is par for the course with major hockey markets and some cities were much worse than Toronto.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
During salute gate, everytime i saw a jersey thrown on the ice i was happy. The organisation needed that wake up call and needed to know that fans weren't going to settle for this mediocre pile of crap that was put on display every night.

And hey, the message was received.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Everyone was pissed off. That game alone did more good for this franchise than any other game in the past 51 years. Led to the complete blowup and the current management and roster. Looking back, it's almost funny to me.
Fully agree.

I think leaf fans are typically horrible, but for the precise opposite reason than what people are saying on these threads.

When the leafs were the humiliation of humanity during jfj, Burke, Nonis years, it’s complacencythat was the biggest problem. We still paid more than any other team for tickets. We had to pay for a specific leaf channel to watch some of the games, ratings barely dropped on regular cable, and fans just watched the games in silence.

Why change? They were making well near a billion dollars a season regardless of success or putting any long term plan into effect.

It was only when leaf fans finally FINALLY turned on the team that dramatic changes began. The booing. The jerseys. The waffles (hence my user name). THOSE were the catalysts of change. They were the best things to happen to this franchise since 67. You like Matthews and Marner and the elite young core? Thank those three things.

Sure... we’re good now. But a good ol’ boo here and there will keep everyone o their toes. A reminder to not ever go back to those dark times.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
My favourite part about this whole thing was how many people were all pissed off who never watch the post game salute anyway.
Suddenly they were all upset about something they didn't give 2 craps about before it (didn't) happen.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Fully agree.

I think leaf fans are typically horrible, but for the precise opposite reason than what people are saying on these threads.

When the leafs were the humiliation of humanity during jfj, Burke, Nonis years, it’s complacencythat was the biggest problem. We still paid more than any other team for tickets. We had to pay for a specific leaf channel to watch some of the games, ratings barely dropped on regular cable, and fans just watched the games in silence.

Why change? They were making well near a billion dollars a season regardless of success or putting any long term plan into effect.

It was only when leaf fans finally FINALLY turned on the team that dramatic changes began. The booing. The jerseys. The waffles (hence my user name). THOSE were the catalysts of change. They were the best things to happen to this franchise since 67. You like Matthews and Marner and the elite young core? Thank those three things.

Sure... we’re good now. But a good ol’ boo here and there will keep everyone o their toes. A reminder to not ever go back to those dark times.
I'm not huge on what happened to Jake but i understand the frustration. It was lucky as well that as the Leafs hit their biggest low point was right at the same time that Shanny had full control to do what he wanted with management and the roster. It's a blessing that those two events happened within the same calendar year. Full overhaul of the culture of the Leafs made Toronto believe again. It just makes me sad to see that fans still hate Jake and part of that reason is for his play before the start of the 2015-16 season.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Yes I’d did....and Montreal is about the only other major market
Leafs just signed the biggest UFA in years for millions less and you are yammering on about players wanting more $ to play here. And Winnick himself said Pittsburgh was worse and it wasn't that bad in Toronto.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
My favourite part about this whole thing was how many people were all pissed off who never watch the post game salute anyway.
Suddenly they were all upset about something they didn't give 2 craps about before it (didn't) happen.

You're describing almost all "news" everywhere. Most of it is manipulation to get you to care about something you've never given a thought about ever.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The highs are going to be high and the lows are going to be low. Salute-gate and the Gardiner situation were big stories and The Stanley Cup Champion Toronto Maple Leafs will also be one when it eventually happens again.

Winnik returned here after being traded away, only to be dealt again (and he wasn't even a pending UFA the second time around), and had nothing but good things to say about the organization going out the door. Happy to have had him wear the blue and white of the Maple Leafs.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Paying fans can do whatever they damn well please. Do you see the players refunding them ? These players are way overpaid so until they start giving money back for poor job performance they better suck it up princesses.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
And let's see , if I was a total failure since 1967 at work, what would happen? How dare anyone criticize Leaf fans who have been way too patient. You have 2 options ignore it or give them their money back. If you do neither, then shut up hypocrite! People are getting fed up, deal with it snowflake.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Even before they lost 9-2 to Nashville, I think the game which put the Leafs in the direction they see now was when they blew that 4-1 lead to Boston in Game 7. As crazy as this sounds if they win that game does that mean Carlyle and Nonis never get fired, along with never hiring Shanahan and all the moves made since he became the Leafs President.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad