Sportsnet: Daniel Winnik on salute-gate: ‘I just remember us being really pissed off’

Jags68

Oct 16, 2017
Hometown hero was a -4 that night as well..

But at least the teams not Edmonton!

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Media has nothing to talk about. Barring major injury this team will be a playoff team for at least 7 years. Regular season means nothing so the media has to make up stories or exaggerate;

Offseason - Tavares
Training Camp to Dec 1 - Nylander
After Dec 1 - Offersheets of Matthews and Marner
Jan - Goaltending and Sparks
Now - Boo-gate
End of the month to Feb - Trade Deadline
Then playoffs

If the leafs don’t win the cup then it will shift back to offer sheets (Matthews and Marner). During that it will be the loss of Gardiner and the mention of Marleaus deal. Then Zaitsevs deal.

After they get signed it will be Babcock on the hot seat for not winning a cup with this talented team.

Then it will be about expansion etc.

They will find something to complain about.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Media has nothing to talk about. Barring major injury this team will be a playoff team for at least 7 years. Regular season means nothing so the media has to make up stories or exaggerate;

Offseason - Tavares
Now - Boo-gate
Then playoffs

If the leafs don’t win the cup then it will shift back to offer sheets (Matthews and Marner). During that it will be the loss of Gardiner and the mention of Marleaus deal. Then Zaitsevs deal.

After they get signed it will be Babcock on the hot seat for not winning a cup with this talented team.

Let's hope that Matthews and Marner sign their new contracts before July 1, 2019 because it will give the media one less thing to talk about. Plus I'm sure Dubas won't let the same thing happened with them that went down with Nylander.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
About 50 drunk idiots boo an NHL player and apparently the natural conclusion is to be mad at the other 20,000 people who didn't boo. These are the moments when you remember these guys live in a freaking bubble.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
First time I saw Winnik live at the ACC he was impressive, a prime Winnik on our 4th line would be nice

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Imagine if that team used their anger against the opposition instead of the paying customers ? Wow what a concept. Personally looking back it was the beginning of the end for Phil and Djon. Thanks Boys.
I always thought Shanahan held Kessel responsible for salute gate, because didn't he tell Phaneuf to let all the players know they were not going to salute the fans when they won that game after the 9-2 loss.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Offseason - Tavares
Now - Boo-gate
Then playoffs

You hit it out of the park.

Reactions: mikeyz

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Let's hope that Matthews and Marner sign their new contracts before July 1, 2019 because it will give the media one less thing to talk about. Plus I'm sure Dubas won't let the same thing happened with them that went down with Nylander.

Hopefully that doesn’t mean he will just overpay the right away....

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
You hit it out of the park.

They got to make money somehow? No better way of doing that than tossing a bunch of vague rumours that probably have no basis but that a ton of fans would love to chew right up...

Would explain the Zaitsev rumour. I wonder how much Sportsnet spiked after that one?

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
He nailed it. The scrutiny follows players who are paid a pretty penny and is expected to perform. Not a rocket science analysis or observation but obviously makes sense. When you are paid to produce and be reliable you should have that accountability on your shoulders.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It use to be so bad recently that they actually made profit off of "Upset Leaf Fan merchandise" bags, T-shirts etc.

fans.jpg

This current situation is nothing compared to prior Leaf teams.

Lets just hope Dubas recognizes and acknowledges the teams weaknesses and addresses them prior to the trade deadline. :crossfing

Reactions: BayStBullies

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
About 50 drunk idiots boo an NHL player and apparently the natural conclusion is to be mad at the other 20,000 people who didn't boo. These are the moments when you remember these guys live in a freaking bubble.

I was there on Monday night and to be honest I didn't even notice it. But I was up in a box and talking so wasn't exactly paying close attention.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This is why players want a premium to play in Toronto. They’ll talk about this daily for a week or two but it’ll never go away as long as Jake is involved in the NHL

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
This is the best thing a fan base can do to get their message across. You don’t like the player? Display your displeasure. Loudly.

What is there to enjoy about watching Gardiner play scared, lose battles and make bonehead decisions at key times? Nothing. Hopefully the booing grows louder, the front office gets the message and Nylander is next.

Fans at NFL draft boo players who just get drafted for crying out loud. Imagine that, you are just a kid drafted and haven’t even played yet and you are getting booed by that fan base.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->