Confirmed with Link: Daniel Sprong Recalled 12/30, Reassigned 1/22

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I liked that he was making the simple, safe plays at the bluelines. Very solid debut.

I wanted to see more skill on his LW but I liked what I saw from that line. I'd run it a little longer and see how it shakes out. Maybe they can get a HBK lite chemistry going.

Reactions: td_ice

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I liked that he was making the simple, safe plays at the bluelines. Very solid debut.

I wanted to see more skill on his LW but I liked what I saw from that line. I'd run it a little longer and see how it shakes out. Maybe they can get a HBK lite chemistry going.

He made a few nice reads where he almost took the puck away at the offensive blueline which was nice to see. Shows he was reading the play.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Man, it really shows how many scars we all have left over from the Shero/Bylsma Era where young prospects were never given a shot in the top 6 that there were so many comments here predicting that Sprong wouldn't be allowed to play there... and now Simon and Sprong have both played with Crosby for the past two games straight (after a game where Crosby was getting double-shifted down to play with Sprong vs Carolina).

It's funny, because the last two years have seen Rust, Sheary and Guentzel all get called up and quickly move into top 6 positions, but we all (myself included) doubted they'd do the same with Sprong...

And of course, because I still bear those scars, I'm waiting for Sprong to get dropped down to the third line again as soon as the Pens lose again... (I'd say fourth line, but I suppose there's been at least one benefit to having Reaves on the roster, since he's pretty much never promoted beyond 4th line RW).

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
Is Sprong projected to stay on the top line with Sid?
Only until the trade deadline when the Pens trade him for Chris Kunitz. Kunitz will them join Crosby on the top line while bringing some much needed grit and veteran leadership to the goup

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
With Sprong a HS tonight, how have you liked his play? I like his play, but not his usage. Sully didn’t bother trying to put him with Geno. The thing that made me also pissed was that Sprong was playing slot on the 2PP. Let him play the halfboard!

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Kid needs to be more constant. Since he destroyed the Isles he has no points in 4 games and apparently Sully decided to cut down on his playing time with only 8:33 last game.

I haven't watched that game, was he was hurt or something?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
We hardly knew ya, Sprong. He failed to score points in 7 out of 8 games, so it isn’t like he was lighting it up. However, I would have given him more time when Ryan Reaves is the alternative.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I can see how they send Sprong down if he was the only one not producing... but... a lot of players haven't been scoring. It's not just a Sprong issue. It's a team issue.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
His D is fine. He can finish when he gets the puck in a scoring area. There’s still a lot more to the game than those 2 things.

Yes, this. Funnily enough, his support in the D-zone is better than in the O. He needs to figure out when to actually support the puck as opposed to floating around looking for soft spots almost the entire time. But, he will. Hopefully with us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad