Prospect Info: Daniel Sprong Progress

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Even if there are people out there that can tell a prospects worth based on body language, im certain you are not one of those people

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Not to mention, he handled being an 18 year old player in the NHL, to a player who wasn't playing at all, to getting a demotion back to Jr where he is earning 0.00001% of what he's earning in the NHL like a complete pro. I buy nothing this guy is talking about.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
You mean the people who avoided drafting him because of the probability of these issues?

You people are insane.

Sjoelbak

Oct 5, 2015
Leiden, Netherlands
You mean the people who avoided drafting him because of the probability of these issues?

You people are insane.

No, I mean the man who taught him how to play hockey from the age of 3 and kept in close touch after Sprong's emigration to Canada, a man who was one of the few Dutch-born players at the 1980 Olympics.

Your claim about why he dropped in the draft is nothing but a rumor and his dedication and way of handling his roller coaster season contradict everything you say.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Rumors? Hardly. It was pretty well known that teams liked his abilities but ran from the baggage.

I get it. You like Sprong. But it's clearly clouding your ability to be impartial.

Sjoelbak

Oct 5, 2015
Leiden, Netherlands
Rumors? Hardly. It was pretty well known that teams liked his abilities but ran from the baggage.

I get it. You like Sprong. But it's clearly clouding your ability to be impartial.

I work in the national youth system, and I'm a teacher. I'm trained to be impartial. I never worked with the guy, I'm just passing on information. Give me one legit source that underlines that your point of view is more than a rumor. Calling a rumor pretty well known doesn't make it true.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
He dropped greatly due to how terribly he interviewed. Scouts repeated the same persepctive: talented but a terrible interview. They do the interviews to gauge personality, and some went as far as to say he was one of the worst they've ever done.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
He dropped greatly due to how terribly he interviewed. Scouts repeated the same persepctive: talented but a terrible interview. They do the interviews to gauge personality, and some went as far as to say he was one of the worst they've ever done.

Thankfully we have Lovejoy and to a lesser extent Cole to provide the great interviews for the team. Sprong can just play hockey.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, no. Look at Kessel. He shows absolutely no intensity whatsoever, but you bet your ass when the games start to matter, the dude ramps his game up. His attitude and body language would portray a guy that doesn't give 2 *****. Sprong's body language to me screams intensity. He's wants to drive the puck down the throat of the defense every time he gets it. Absolutely nothing negative about his body language
I dont get a Kessel vibe from him at all. More Peter Bondra as a hockey player.

Also seems good with team mates and the media. Not sure what all the hub bub is about.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
So this guy is arguing that because of some crap he read, his ******** opinion of Sprong's character outweighs what we've heard from people within the organization about his work ethic and attitude being fantastic, and first-hand accounts of people on here who have actually worked closely with Sprong?

Alright then. Whatever tapes your hockey stick.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Wait a minute, I thought they only judged him by on ice body language?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
For all of the complaints regarding Kunitz and Sheary.... Sprong probably buries at least one of those chances last night.

I wouldn't doubt that. He might also make a few stupid turnovers that lead to chances the other way. Sprong has a bright future, but he wasn't ready yet this year. Maybe he is next year.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I still think Sprong is NHL-ready.

Will his game be perfect? Nah, but there are a ton of guys in our lineup that have issues. Kessel wasn't the same guy we're seeing now earlier in the year, he adapted and bought into the system. No reason Sprong wouldn't do the same thing throughout the season.

I hope he sticks with the big club next season, cuz there's absolutely nothing to learn and no benefit to sending him back to juniors. He's got nothing to gain down there, and the tools (skating, offensive creativity, shot power/accuracy) are all already there and NHL-caliber.

Sjoelbak

Oct 5, 2015
Leiden, Netherlands

Again, provide some sources. You're referring to these interviews. Were you there?

Sjoelbak

Oct 5, 2015
Leiden, Netherlands
So this guy is arguing that because of some crap he read, his ******** opinion of Sprong's character outweighs what we've heard from people within the organization about his work ethic and attitude being fantastic, and first-hand accounts of people on here who have actually worked closely with Sprong?

Alright then. Whatever tapes your hockey stick.

Like I said, I haven't worked with him myself, as I was only 19 when he emigrated, but I work with his youth coach every week.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
That's not Kessel's body language at all.

Really? Every time he comes to the bench he looks completely exhausted and has his head down. He watches a replay of him missing a shot and looks dejected and frustrated with himself.

Oh well, you're the body language expert so I guess I'm wrong.

Pen's wasted a 2nd rounder on Sprong.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Again, provide some sources. You're referring to these interviews. Were you there?

OK, here's an example, since you are afraid of Google.

No, were you? What kind of non-argument is that?

The way a lot of you are so defensive about this makes it readily apparent that 1. you have nothing really to stand on here and 2. somewhere within you know there is big problem potential with Sprong unless he gets his attitude away from only himself.

His on-ice attitude is clear. His scouting reports were filled with "low physicality", "poor two-way ability", and "shows little desire to be a two-way player", while also lauding his offensive talent. This is a selfish playing style. "But he's a scorer!!" Sure, and Terrell Owens scored a lot of TDs. Players like that are often the ones that cause problems when things aren't going their way.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Really? Every time he comes to the bench he looks completely exhausted and has his head down. He watches a replay of him missing a shot and looks dejected and frustrated with himself.

Oh well, you're the body language expert so I guess I'm wrong.

Pen's wasted a 2nd rounder on Sprong.

Use your brain a little bit here.

Kessel is one of the fastest skaters in the league and skates hard when he's out there pretty much every time out. What he does on the bench after a shift is not really of much concern, but if you want to point it out, he's obviously an eccentric dude. He does all kinds of odds things.

It's good if he's pissed that he missed an opportunity. If he looked indifferent, that would be a problem.

Sjoelbak

Oct 5, 2015
Leiden, Netherlands
OK, here's an example, since you are afraid of Google.

No, were you? What kind of non-argument is that?

The way a lot of you are so defensive about this makes it readily apparent that 1. you have nothing really to stand on here and 2. somewhere within you know there is big problem potential with Sprong unless he gets his attitude away from only himself.

His on-ice attitude is clear. His scouting reports were filled with "low physicality", "poor two-way ability", and "shows little desire to be a two-way player", while also lauding his offensive talent. This is a selfish playing style. "But he's a scorer!!" Sure, and Terrell Owens scored a lot of TDs. Players like that are often the ones that cause problems when things aren't going their way.

Firstly, I'm not afraid of Google, I just put more stock in a hockey expert I know personally (yes, I know The Netherlands is a third world country with regard to hockey, but that doesn't mean we don't have experts) than your observations of Sprong's body language.

Secondly, you provide 5 quotes on his interview. Two of them state that his interview was bad. One is downright positive. A fourth one states it was fine and he was a little cocky, but the scout in question does not see this as a negative. The fifth one just says that he's a good hockey player. So two for two teams he slid down the list based on his interview. That's no proof that he has a serious attitude problem.

If one teacher has a problem with a student because he tends to talk back, but the other teachers like his way of questioning the information he gets fed in order to engage in a deeper discussion, does that kid have an attitude problem, or is he simply eager to learn but perhaps unlucky in his way of expressing himself (perhaps because of his age)?

I don't think I'm the one with nothing to stand on. Your quotes about his low physicality and whatever have, as of yet, no support whatsoever. I'm eagerly awaiting your source material.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->