Prospect Info: Daniel Sprong Progress

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
They'll protect him either way. So if he's good enough next year, he'll be on the team.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What would you do then if you were Bettman and the league was expanding?

Allow teams to protect more than the amount they are letting them. There's a lot of un-signed talent/players in the AHL and there would still be a fair amount of decent players to be had even if you allowed teams to protect 2-3 more then they are letting them.

I kind of don't want Quebec to get a team, because it's going to be a mess there with "Oh we only hire french speaking people!" bs that the Habs do but probably even more radical than they would be.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Allow teams to protect more than the amount they are letting them. There's a lot of un-signed talent/players in the AHL and there would still be a fair amount of decent players to be had even if you allowed teams to protect 2-3 more then they are letting them.

I kind of don't want Quebec to get a team, because it's going to be a mess there with "Oh we only hire french speaking people!" bs that the Habs do but probably even more radical than they would be.

The intent is to allow the expansion team to be competitive sooner. The previous round took a really long time to ice a competitive team. If it's a team in Vegas, it's in the league's best interest to ice a competitive team as soon as possible to keep up the hype and build a sustainable fanbase. At the end of the day it's a business and I bet most owners are okay with losing 1 good player for 15MM bucks.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Right. Sure, the Thrashers weren't in a great market, but it sure wouldn't have hurt to have a team that didn't perpetually suck in extravagant fashion.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
That would be complete horse **** to lose Murray just because we also have Fleury. So this hypothetical LV team could sign Ben Bishop in free agency and then pluck Murray in the expansion draft and suddenly have better goaltending depth than us, or even flip Murray to another team for assets.

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
Is there a limit to one player per team that can be selected? As in, no team can lose more than one player to the expansion draft?

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
That would be complete horse **** to lose Murray just because we also have Fleury. So this hypothetical LV team could sign Ben Bishop in free agency and then pluck Murray in the expansion draft and suddenly have better goaltending depth than us, or even flip Murray to another team for assets.

Why would any sane team expansion protect MAF instead of Murray as their 1 G?

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Well, it'd suck to lose either one of the two.

Can we all agree that losing Murray is much more damaging to the future of this club? Murray's SV% since last year is > .930%. You can argue that he is probably (at the very least) MAF's equal right now. Now look at his salary.

Murray may end up being the best player we drafted in 2012....

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Murray's got some things to work on. I'm not ready to anoint him our goalie of the future just yet. But he's a hell of a prospect and he has value that I'd rather not lose for nothing.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Why would any sane team expansion protect MAF instead of Murray as their 1 G?

I forsee us either bribing LV with a pick to not take Fleury, or we trade him to a team that has zero goaltenders that they would want to protect (Calgary).

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Since Sprongs season is over, do you think the Pens play him in the AHL and then call him up during playoffs?

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Charlottetown Islanders fan here.

What is the thought in Pittsburgh? Will he be sent back or do you guys think he will be effective on your roster?

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Charlottetown Islanders fan here.

What is the thought in Pittsburgh? Will he be sent back or do you guys think he will be effective on your roster?

Right now the Penguins are pretty deep at RW. I would send him back unless his two way game got a lot better after being sent back this year.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Right now the Penguins are pretty deep at RW. I would send him back unless his two way game got a lot better after being sent back this year.

I hope they plan on using him on the LW, personally.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Considering theyre picking 5th...no ****. Id trade him for mcdavid.

I'm not so sure I would make that trade. Sprong looks like the real deal and almost a certainty. If last years draft was done over, I think Sprong would have a shot at going in the top 10.

Lastly, the dude can LW. He said it emphatically and if you watch his game, a lot of his offense comes with him cruising down the off wing.

For some players, they can comfortably play any forward position while other are lost.

AND NO,, you don't trade Sprong unless you are getting back a proven star with a track record under the age of 28.

Thank you

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
I'm not so sure I would make that trade. Sprong looks like the real deal and almost a certainty. If last years draft was done over, I think Sprong would have a shot at going in the top 10.

Lastly, the dude can LW. He said it emphatically and if you watch his game, a lot of his offense comes with him cruising down the off wing.

For some players, they can comfortably play any forward position while other are lost.

AND NO,, you don't trade Sprong unless you are getting back a proven star with a track record under the age of 28.

Thank you

As someone whose watched sprong ALOT over his junior days. He cant play ANY forward position. He is horrible up the middle. Either wing sure. center not even close

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
The trade was for humor. The only thing about Sprong that worries me is his attitude. If turns out to be a little ****stain no one on the team can stand...he might not be worth that kind of trouble and he'll never be a leader.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->