Daniel Sprong Containment Thread Part 3 | Mod Warning Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Even though we drafted Sprong in 2015, he's basically a Rookie and if not for the Pens rushing a 2nd Rounder in his draft year, he would officially be a Rookie. With the Pens he played 42 games over the course of 4 years. That's not typical unless you're a goalie.

The Daniel Sprong we're seeing in Anaheim is more typical of how you'd see a Rookie of his stature get his reps. I still have no idea why we were so impatient with Sprong. I mean, if Kasper Bjorkvist got called up next year and scored 5 goals in his first 15 games, wouldn't we be pretty exited? That's basically what Sprong is doing in Anaheim.

Reactions: Ryder71 and Andy99

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Even though we drafted Sprong in 2015, he's basically a Rookie and if not for the Pens rushing a 2nd Rounder in his draft year, he would officially be a Rookie. With the Pens he played 42 games over the course of 4 years. That's not typical unless you're a goalie.

The Daniel Sprong we're seeing in Anaheim is more typical of how you'd see a Rookie of his stature get his reps. I still have no idea why we were so impatient with Sprong. I mean, if Kasper Bjorkvist got called up next year and scored 5 goals in his first 15 games, wouldn't we be pretty exited? That's basically what Sprong is doing in Anaheim.

Sprong has probably had a great shot since he was 15. I’m guessing the Penguins have told him to work on certain things for years and given that JR kind of bungled the contract situation with him, there was no more patience. I was totally ok with his development path leading up to this year, but Sprong was making it clear that his hockey IQ doesn’t match his shot or hands this year. He’s one of the worst players in the league 5 on 5.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Not if he was getting our score 3 - 8 or whatever Sprong was. I’d say send him back.

Reactions: Riptide

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

You're ignoring that there's a huge difference in play style between Bjorkqvist and Sprong. Bjorkqvist is a power forward/2-way forward known for his physicality and leadership. Sprong is known to be a lazy skilled player. If Bellerive came in next year and scored 5 goals and 6 points in 15 games, but with only 2 of them being 5v5 goals and being a massive problem defensively (and offensively, for that matter), I'd want him sent down to the AHL.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
Ducks are happy with Sprong because they have guys like Rackell who still only have 5 goals. Aberg is one of their best offensive players this season. That team (I love them, my #2 team) is literally a black hole of offense.

Remember what it was like around here with guys like Tangradi and Beau Bennet...that's Anaheim now.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Ducks are happy with Sprong because they have guys like Rackell who still only have 5 goals. Aberg is one of their best offensive players this season. That team (I love them, my #2 team) is literally a black hole of offense.

Remember what it was like around here with guys like Tangradi and Beau Bennet...that's Anaheim now.
Yep he's been great for our PP which is beyond garbage, Sprong looks like the only forward that knows how to score a goal on the PP for them.
Beau Bennett what happend to him ? To be fair I heard he's a good rancher these days in 'The Ranch' where he is being played by Sam Elliot (actual character named Beau Bennett in the show)
The Ranch (TV series) - Wikipedia
& the wife of Dion Phaneuf is in the show.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yep he's been great for our PP which is beyond garbage, Sprong looks like the only forward that knows how to score a goal on the PP for them.
Beau Bennett what happend to him ? To be fair I heard he's a good rancher these days in 'The Ranch' where he is being played by Sam Elliot (actual character named Beau Bennett in the show)
The Ranch (TV series) - Wikipedia
& the wife of Dion Phaneuf is in the show.

Injuries ravaged him, that's the easiest way to sum it up. He was passed up in 2016 by guys like Sheary and Rust and spent the next 2 years as your standard great AHL scorer/alright bottom-6 producer. I think he may be retired now.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Yeah "shell" might be a bit harsh, but he's not the same player he was 4-5 years ago. He's a ~60pt guy.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Uhhh

No He's not...
His assists are way down while his goals per game rate is slightly better & that indicates his linemates are not playing well such as Rakell & Aberg, he was a point per game guy last year with 56 games with 61 points & before that 73 in 74 games. His health is what the concern is.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Apr 9, 2009
USA

They traded him because we needed a solid dman. It's not a patient vs impatient thing as much as it is need vs not need. We don't need another scoring RWer. He was playing 4th line minutes because he was up against Kessel, Hornqvist and Rust. Sprong isn't a 4th liner. It wasn't a fit.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I mean, if Kasper Bjorkvist got called up next year and scored 5 goals in his first 15 games, wouldn't we be pretty exited? That's basically what Sprong is doing in Anaheim.

Sure... unless he brought nothing other than his offense, and was terrible defensively and at pretty much almost every other aspect of the game. I get it that the kid is still a rookie/project. But when you're that bad at everything else other than 'offense' and the offense you do provide A) doesn't out score the other team when you're on the ice and B) isn't all that great to begin with... it wouldn't take all that long to dull the excitement. Especially when you have a larger sample size then just 15 games.

Despite all the criticism I've directed his way, I honestly hope he can prove me wrong and have a good NHL career. I just don't think it's all that likely unless he makes some pretty big changes to how he plays.

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Ah. So Sprong is not the issue. Getzlaf is.

Getzlaf is on pace for a 50+ pt ES pace.

The length that people go to defend Sprong is just so insane.

Not at all what I said. Just that Getzlaf isn't what he used to be. He's not a top 10 center anymore.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I'd take Getz over Stamkos all day.

Would love to see Getz with Kucherov.

Getzlaf has been playing with scrubs all year. His numbers are down because of it. A 39 game sample of subpar numbers doesn't mean he is done being an elite C. It's his linemates and especially...especially the awful coach to blame for his lack of production.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I'd take Getz over Stamkos all day.

Would love to see Getz with Kucherov.

Getzlaf has been playing with scrubs all year. His numbers are down because of it. A 39 game sample of subpar numbers doesn't mean he is done being an elite C. It's his linemates and especially...especially the awful coach to blame for his lack of production.

I think that's part of his problem, aside from injuries. He needs someone like Perry to be on his line. He's not a scorer, and without a sniper to feed off, his numbers are ... down. To me, that knocks him below those others.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I think that's part of his problem, aside from injuries. He needs someone like Perry to be on his line. He's not a scorer, and without a sniper to feed off, his numbers are ... down. To me, that knocks him below those others.

No no no....Perry needs Getzlaf.

Getzlaf makes anyone into a scorer. He's one of the best passers ever. Its Like saying
Crosby needs a sniper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad