Daniel Sprong Containment Thread Part 3 | Mod Warning Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
He has one ES goal and no ES assists since 12/15. That’s ten games. Does that not tell you how he is doing?
But is that symptomatic of the entire team or is it just confined to him being awful?

I think if blame is to be passed around there Sprong would be far down the line in that regard.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
He has one ES goal and no ES assists since 12/15. That’s ten games. Does that not tell you how he is doing?

I see what Ryder it's getting at though...is Sprong taking bad shots or is it not even able to muster that?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I’m not saying he’s awful. But, he’s basically the same player as he was here.

He has capitalized on the powerplay. He’s getting chances. He’s just not good enough at the moment to be a top six wing option in the NHL.
I see him as a complimentary player who if afforded ample opportunities to bury the puck more times than not will. His shot placement seems excellent. However if his centers aren't facilitating such scenarios where by he can get off a shot, he likely won't produce. My question was IF he's getting those chances at all, because the Ducks have been abysmal as a team in scoring goals.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
He’s a player that lives or dies by his production. If he isn’t producing he is essentially useless.

Sure, but there's a glimmer of hope if he's hitting posts vs not even being in position.

For the record, Sprong made me give up on Sprong.

Reactions: Riptide

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
He’s a player that lives or dies by his production. If he isn’t producing he is essentially useless.
But if no one is scoring how much of the blame should fall on Sprong? This is a team issue, not a one particular player issue.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I see him as a complimentary player who if afforded ample opportunities to bury the puck more times than not will. His shot placement seems excellent. However if his centers aren't facilitating such scenarios where by he can get off a shot, he likely won't produce. My question was IF he's getting those chances at all, because the Ducks have been abysmal as a team in scoring goals.

So not an NHLer or AHL fodder like Brandon Pirri.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It's pointless for YOU.

One thing the minions never consider is that Sully giving up on Sprong after 8 games last year, he could have made a difference in the playoffs. We'll never know. Thanks Sully

Actually most of us do know. There's just the odd few that refuse to accept what so far has been pretty obvious - that Sprong's game as it currently is, is not NHL ready.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
But if no one is scoring how much of the blame should fall on Sprong? This is a team issue, not a one particular player issue.

Because the only thing he can do on the ice is produce? If he isn’t producing he is adding nothing. It is pretty obvious that you just have a soft spot for him because he had some draft pedigree when we took him.

Like it falls on Sprong because he literally does nothing good on the ice but score.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The entire Ducks offense has been trash for a while. I think they are 30th in the league in Goals Scored.

He's a 21 yr old who was screwed over because they wasted a year of his development. He should still be in the A working on his game and only brought up to fill injuries to a teams top 9.

While I agree with that... the issue however is that unless he was going to make significant changes to his game to round it out.... we would still be having the same conversation next season. Sprong would do very well in the AHL due to his skillset, and fail in the NHL because he can't have success in the NHL based solely on his skillset.

The bottom line is the kid doesn't have Kessel's elite offensive abilities... which means he needs to bring more to the table then just his offense.

Reactions: EightyOne

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Because the only thing he can do on the ice is produce? If he isn’t producing he is adding nothing. It is pretty obvious that you just have a soft spot for him because he had some draft pedigree when we took him.
When they were on a winning streak Sprong was producing though. That's when the team as a whole was playing well. My point is how the team goes Sprong likely follows. But he's not gonna be the catalyst or lead the way on that front. I don't have a soft spot for him, I just think I understand the type of player he is better. He's like a Sykora or a poor mans Neal. He can produce but it largely is dependent on his linemates. Kinda like a parasite. And I don't mean that in a derogatory way, but that's sort of what I'm getting at.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
When they were on a winning streak Sprong was producing though. That's when the team as a whole was playing well. My point is how the team goes Sprong likely follows. But he's not gonna be the catalyst or lead the way on that front. I don't have a soft spot for him, I just think I understand the type of player he is better. He's like a Sykora or a poor mans Neal. He can produce but it largely is dependent on his linemates. Kinda like a parasite. And I don't mean that in a derogatory way, but that's sort of what I'm getting at.

Then he is nothing like Sykora or Neal..

You’re basically saying he is not an NHLer you realize that right? Not in today’s NHL anyway.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Then he is nothing like Sykora or Neal..

You’re basically saying he is not an NHLer you realize that right? Not in today’s NHL anyway.
He is a lot like Sykora and Neal, how can you say otherwise. Neither of those guys drove their respective lines. They were complimentary players. And in Neals case Geno maximized Neals goal scoring prowess. I'm just wondering if Getzlaf, Henrique or whatever center there is doing something similar for Sprong. It doesn't seem that they are. And again it's more an indictment of the center than it is the complimentary winger.

Handsome

Jan 7, 2019
I was wrong about this kid. I thought he was going to be special, and was furious when they traded him. Now I see that JR was within his rights to trade him, he's not a bad player but he certainly isn't what we thought he was.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
He is a lot like Sykora and Neal, how can you say otherwise. Neither of those guys drove their respective lines. They were complimentary players. And in Neals case Geno maximized Neals goal scoring prowess. I'm just wondering if Getzlaf, Henrique or whatever center there is doing something similar for Sprong. It doesn't seem that they are. And again it's more an indictment of the center than it is the complimentary winger.

For being such a close mind to the game you must remember Sykora’s run with the mighty Ducks and the Devils when he was a focal point of both lines.

Elias and Sykora were both huge scoring threats on the A line.

Neal has been a 20 goal scorer everywhere but Calgary.

Comparing a player that is on pace for 10 ES goals to them is bizarre.

Last edited:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
For being such a close mind to the game you must remember Sykora’s run with the mighty Ducks and the Devils when he was the focal point of both lines.

Neal has been a 20 goal scorer everywhere but Calgary.

Comparing a player that is on pace for 10 ES goals to them is bizarre.
I think you're trying to be too nuanced here. I'm saying that if you expect Sprong to be the guy who's gonna lead the Ducks back to scoring lots of goals I'm telling you he's not that type of player.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think you're trying to be too nuanced here. I'm saying that if you expect Sprong to be the guy who's gonna lead the Ducks back to scoring lots of goals I'm telling you he's not that type of player.

Then he’s not doing his one job as a player which is to score goals?

And if he isn’t scoring them he’s useless. Luckily he has produced with the PP time he’s been given.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Neal and Sykora were both guys who were greatly improved by playing with Geno. Both of them are/were also good players without Geno. Not as good, but good. Sprong so far is straight up bad without

I get what you're saying about Sprong and agree though. He's a guy who will rely on his team to help set up his chances. But I view that as a pretty clear negative.

Reactions: Riptide

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Then he’s not doing his one job as a player which is to score goals?

Based solely upon the bad stat of +/- he's not doing he other job of a player, preventing goals against, either.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
But that's symptomatic of pretty much every forward of that team. So why blame Sprong?

No it isn’t. They have a ton of two way forwards that need help scoring and Sprong was brought in because his skill is scoring and he isn’t doing it.

Sprong is being given minutes to score at ES with their most talented centers and isn’t scoring.

If Phil Kessel isn’t producing at ES, he has no point to be in high our line-up correct?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Neal and Sykora were both guys who were greatly improved by playing with Geno. Both of them are/were also good players without Geno.

I get what you're saying about Sprong and agree though. He's a guy who will rely on his team to help set up his chances. But I view that as a huge negative.
They were good players without Geno, but generally speaking they were complimentary pieces. I'm not saying Sprong is on their level, I'm saying he''s somewhat in that mold. And to be clear I was referring to both players as they were when they played for the Pens. I thought that would be the best manner from which to reference it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
They were good players without Geno, but generally speaking they were complimentary pieces. I'm not saying Sprong is on their level, I'm saying he''s somewhat in that mold. And to be clear I was referring to both players as they were when they played for the Pens. I thought that would be the best manner from which to reference it.
yeah, I agree with that. I just think that, right now, Sprong is far more extreme in that regard. But he's young. Let's see where he ends up. I'm not calling him a bust or anything. But that's one of the things he needs to improve to last in the NHL imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->