Waived: Daniel Sprong (cleared)

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I liked his 14 goals too, but you don’t have to overrate him to think it’s stupid to get rid of him. He’s 22. If we drafted him there would probably be more hype based on us viewing his team-leading AHL year (ahead of all by 15 points and 11 goals). I’d rather try to develop the one dimensional side out of him then give away our best goal scoring prospect. Meanwhile I saw fans upset that we passed on Kaliyev.

I'm a bit lost here. Over the course of four years with the Pens, Sprong's NHL career with the Pens spanned three years and 42 games. In those 42 NHL games, he scored a total of 9 pts (4g, 5a). He did have a great AHL season in 2017-18, but he's had only one AHL season. The Pens thought they could cash in on Sprong in 2018-19, but that didn't work out. In 16 NHL games last year with the Pen, Sprong had 4 pts (0g, 4a) and a -7 rating.

Only in half a season in Anaheim was Sprong able to tap into his goal scoring at the NHL level. In 47 games, Sprong scored 19 pts (14g, 5a) with a -9 rating. He's one-dimensional, but that one dimension isn't high enough in talent to absorb when other prospects bring more to the table. I thought over the summer that Sprong would show up and surpass Terry, but that didn't happen. Terry has been very visible in every game he's played this off-season and Sprong hasn't. While Terry doesn't score goals at Sprong's rate, Terry brings another dimension - playmaking. Terry is the player Sprong had to beat on the right side. (Kase and Silf were set RWs.)

Here's what I don't get. Why doesn't Terry get equal hype? Terry struggled in his first call-up with the Ducks last year. In six games, Terry put up 0 pts. He was sent down to the AHL and became a 1.0 ppg player, notching 16 goals in the process in 41 games. On Terry's second call-up, he put up 13 points (4g, 9a) in 26 games, adding 6 points on the PP unit. Both Terry and Sprong are 22 years old. The audition was there for both players to win a roster spot. Sprong lost.

On the other wing, there was also one roster spot left in the top-9 between Shore, Jones, and Comtois. Shore and Jones brought more to the table than the one-dimensional Sprong.

The reality for Sprong to stay at the NHL club was to show more than Terry and Jones. The fourth line is not made for Sprong.

As for best goal scoring prospect, I'm at a loss here. I think Kase is our best goal scoring prospect, if we're to use NHL production as proof of goal scoring. Kase is still 23 years old. Max Jones had a multitude of chances to score, but was snake bitten last year. (Please note that Sprong struggled to score at the NHL level with the past in three seasons with the Pens.) Not including NHL production, the Ducks have Max Comtois and Brayden Tracey. Comtois tore up the Q with 31 goals in only 25 regular season games, as well as added 17 assists for a total of 48 points. In the Q playoffs, he put up 11 goals in 16 games.

Now, on to Tracey. But before we delve into Tracey, let's bring up Arthur Kaliyev. Kaliyev can score goals, but there were other attributes about him that brought down his stock. Arthur scored 51 goals in his second OHL season. Tracey gets overlooked, but he won WHL rookie of the year with most goals by a rookie (36 goals), most assists by a rookie (45 assists), and most points by a rookie (81 pts). Then Tracey scored 4 goal in seven games with Canada at the WJC-18, tied 3rd in goal scoring. The Ducks passed on Kaliyev to select Tracey. That's an analogy on the Ducks' organizational mindset.

Now that Sprong has cleared the wavier and if the Ducks send him to the AHL club, then the Ducks are still trying to develop Sprong. We don't have to talk in potential here when history records the Ducks have retained Sprong. 30 teams passed up on Sprong. If Sprong struggled for us like he did for the Pens, then we would have traded him last year as well. I liked that Sprong found his goal scoring touch at the NHL level last year, but needed to show more going into this season. That's on Sprong for not bringing more to make the Ducks want to keep him at the NHL level. Rather than to keep crying about potentially losing Sprong to waivers (which we now know isn't possible), why not give the org credit for finding talent that surpasses Sprong?

Sometimes, people focus too much on goal scoring and neglect other parts of the game that helps in winning games... like puck possession and goals against depression.
Sprong: 47 games, 19 pts (14g, 5a), - 9 rating
Terry: 32 games, 13 pts (4g, 9a), +8 rating

As much as I like Sprong, it's difficult to overlook Terry's presence. Terry was present throughout the off-season and Sprong wasn't. It's a shame Sprong is receiving more notoriety than Terry.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
And?
I didn't think he would get claimed but he seems like an Eakins favorite so I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the first injury call-up or if Shore is able to be traded
If a player going through waivers is an indication that they’re not NHL talent, then it’s an indication that they’re not NHL talent. Carrick is 27. He is what he is. Sprong never got the AHL time he needed, so you’re pretty premature sending him off to the KHL at the age of 22. Terry is 22. Palmieri was nothing special at 22. Plenty of players get better at that age. That’s no guarantee he will, but not being a finished NHL product in the 3rd year of your ELC is pretty common.

You’d think that Jones would be the first call-up.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Well I’m surprised. Which is why I do t work in the NHL

Now can he play and work on development he missed out on early in his career and become a regular nhl goal scorer ?

We will learn a lot, assuming not traded, by how hard he works in San Diego. Certainly will make the Gulls a little more exciting!!

Reactions: 11Justin93

Teemu Salami

Empty Ketchup Bottle
May 9, 2013
Orange County, CA
I'm a bit lost here. Over the course of four years with the Pens, Sprong's NHL career with the Pens spanned three years and 42 games. In those 42 NHL games, he scored a total of 9 pts (4g, 5a). He did have a great AHL season in 2017-18, but he's had only one AHL season. The Pens thought they could cash in on Sprong in 2018-19, but that didn't work out. In 16 NHL games last year with the Pen, Sprong had 4 pts (0g, 4a) and a -7 rating.

Only in half a season in Anaheim was Sprong able to tap into his goal scoring at the NHL level. In 47 games, Sprong scored 19 pts (14g, 5a) with a -9 rating. He's one-dimensional, but that one dimension isn't high enough in talent to absorb when other prospects bring more to the table. I thought over the summer that Sprong would show up and surpass Terry, but that didn't happen. Terry has been very visible in every game he's played this off-season and Sprong hasn't. While Terry doesn't score goals at Sprong's rate, Terry brings another dimension - playmaking. Terry is the player Sprong had to beat on the right side. (Kase and Silf were set RWs.)

Here's what I don't get. Why doesn't Terry get equal hype? Terry struggled in his first call-up with the Ducks last year. In six games, Terry put up 0 pts. He was sent down to the AHL and became a 1.0 ppg player, notching 16 goals in the process in 41 games. On Terry's second call-up, he put up 13 points (4g, 9a) in 26 games, adding 6 points on the PP unit. Both Terry and Sprong are 22 years old. The audition was there for both players to win a roster spot. Sprong lost.

On the other wing, there was also one roster spot left in the top-9 between Shore, Jones, and Comtois. Shore and Jones brought more to the table than the one-dimensional Sprong.

The reality for Sprong to stay at the NHL club was to show more than Terry and Jones. The fourth line is not made for Sprong.

As for best goal scoring prospect, I'm at a loss here. I think Kase is our best goal scoring prospect, if we're to use NHL production as proof of goal scoring. Kase is still 23 years old. Max Jones had a multitude of chances to score, but was snake bitten last year. (Please note that Sprong struggled to score at the NHL level with the past in three seasons with the Pens.) Not including NHL production, the Ducks have Max Comtois and Brayden Tracey. Comtois tore up the Q with 31 goals in only 25 regular season games, as well as added 17 assists for a total of 48 points. In the Q playoffs, he put up 11 goals in 16 games.

Now, on to Tracey. But before we delve into Tracey, let's bring up Arthur Kaliyev. Kaliyev can score goals, but there were other attributes about him that brought down his stock. Arthur scored 51 goals in his second OHL season. Tracey gets overlooked, but he won WHL rookie of the year with most goals by a rookie (36 goals), most assists by a rookie (45 assists), and most points by a rookie (81 pts). Then Tracey scored 4 goal in seven games with Canada at the WJC-18, tied 3rd in goal scoring. The Ducks passed on Kaliyev to select Tracey. That's an analogy on the Ducks' organizational mindset.

Now that Sprong has cleared the wavier and if the Ducks send him to the AHL club, then the Ducks are still trying to develop Sprong. We don't have to talk in potential here when history records the Ducks have retained Sprong. 30 teams passed up on Sprong. If Sprong struggled for us like he did for the Pens, then we would have traded him last year as well. I liked that Sprong found his goal scoring touch at the NHL level last year, but needed to show more going into this season. That's on Sprong for not bringing more to make the Ducks want to keep him at the NHL level. Rather than to keep crying about potentially losing Sprong to waivers (which we now know isn't possible), why not give the org credit for finding talent that surpasses Sprong?

Sometimes, people focus too much on goal scoring and neglect other parts of the game that helps in winning games... like puck possession and goals against depression.
Sprong: 47 games, 19 pts (14g, 5a), - 9 rating
Terry: 32 games, 13 pts (4g, 9a), +8 rating

As much as I like Sprong, it's difficult to overlook Terry's presence. Terry was present throughout the off-season and Sprong wasn't. It's a shame Sprong is receiving more notoriety than Terry.
Full disclosure, i only read up to the first part about Terry. Terry does get more hype, i’m not sure what you mean there. I don’t mind Sprong’s short stints in Pittsburgh because he literally showed what they didn’t get out of him last year by getting a fresh start. like 14 goals more. My whole point is that we should develop him because he’s been a very very talented goal scorer at every level besides with the Pens. I agree that the forth line is not made for Sprong but i feel like it’s a reach to think keeping Devin Shore over him is a smart move when you do take into account that this guy is the same age as Terry and put up more goals than Palmieri ever did with us in less games. I bring Palms up because everyone was sad to lose his goal production once they saw how he developed on the Devils. Well Sprong has potential for 30 goals too, so why not be the ones to hang on and develop him? Not enough space? I see his positives and am aware of his negatives, and that excuse doesn’t really do it for me.

I do agree that more Ahl experience could be a good thing. If he was claimed, or is now traded, i think it’s blatantly dumb.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
More so in the line of thinking he can play a certain way when he can’t and he will not take any adjustment to it. That was clearly the issue in Pitt. Also, he apparently is extremely emotional.

I'm not going to make any claims about his personality. However, the bolded was what got him shipped out of Pittsburgh.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I wonder why Sprong wasnt traded to Honka? I would think both players would want this to happen to get them a change of scenery. Honka should help our PP but our D would be pretty soft overall and would hang Gibson out to dry even more.

Sounds like Dallas wants a 2/3rd round pick and no one is biting, so maybe Sprong might have 4rth round value if he starts off ok in SD and with Dallas wanting a young affordable forward this might be a fit.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I wonder why Sprong wasnt traded to Honka? I would think both players would want this to happen to get them a change of scenery. Honka should help our PP but our D would be pretty soft overall and would hang Gibson out to dry even more.

Sounds like Dallas wants a 2/3rd round pick and no one is biting, so maybe Sprong might have 4rth round value if he starts off ok in SD and with Dallas wanting a young affordable forward this might be a fit.
Maybe because Bob's real objective was to try and get Sprong down to the A where they hope he can develop into something useful?

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Yeah, you don't need to be Garry Kasparov to understand what's happening here. The kid needs work, the work the Pens weren't willing to put in. Doesn't mean he's not in our plans.

I hope he goes there with a good attitude and takes his level up to another level... he seems like a sulking type....

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Eakins on Sprong (from Stephens' article):
One thing that he has in his bag is he’s a guy on our team that every time he shoots the puck, it has a chance to go in the net. Now the thing that we would like to be better at, not only with Daniel but as a team, is when we don’t have the puck. We’ve got to be a dog on a bone. We’ve got to know where we’re going. We have to have a real pride in our game without the puck. He’s still a very young player. He’s learning those lessons right now without the puck. You can’t just – especially at his age – you just can’t be a guy where ‘my job is just to score.’ You want to be that complete player. And that’s what we’re trying to instill in him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad