Waived: Daniel Sprong (cleared)

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
bad asset management but let's not pretend this guy well suited for a 4th line role and is a sure fire top 9 guy either. his 1 dimensional and while we lack that dimension he may be more of a negative than a positive.

my biggest issue is this essentially means we are handing positions out to rookies. I really dont think Terry has done enough to be a 1st line player/ice time.
Could not agree more but everyone knows in cases like this it can be 50/50 with a rookie so the coach is probably gambling a little bit Most now have NHL speed, but they are not always there "mentally", might not love playing defence and not a fan of the physical game. I guess time will tell or at least the first 20 games.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
This. I'd feel much more okay with this if I thought there were guys who really won their way on to the team. There aren't. Comtois clearly needs more AHL time. Sherwood probably had the best preseason out of the young guys and he's in the AHL right now. I mean what's the projected lineup now...?

Ritchie-Getzlaf-Terry
Rakell - Steel (Lundestrom until Steel's healthy) - Silfverberg
Shore - Henrique - Kase
Jones- Grant - Rowney
Deslauriers

Why waive Sprong when right now he could be healthy scratched and not lost for nothing. There's no way the Oilers don't claim him.
They won their way on for now. All of that can change with injuries and poor play.

Teemu Salami

Empty Ketchup Bottle
May 9, 2013
Orange County, CA
So now we can all admit that this board is overrating the snot out of him?

He's an interesting little project but (occupational hazard of being a prospect-focused site) y'all love potential way too much.
I liked his 14 goals too, but you don’t have to overrate him to think it’s stupid to get rid of him. He’s 22. If we drafted him there would probably be more hype based on us viewing his team-leading AHL year (ahead of all by 15 points and 11 goals). I’d rather try to develop the one dimensional side out of him then give away our best goal scoring prospect. Meanwhile I saw fans upset that we passed on Kaliyev.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I'm convinced the AHL is where Sprong needs to be as "the guy" to develop. Play big minutes, score a ton of goals, get some confidence. I like Sprong so the waive gave me a bit of a heart attack but the AHL is the place for him if he's ever going to live up to his potential.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I liked his 14 goals too, but you don’t have to overrate him to think it’s stupid to get rid of him. He’s 22. If we drafted him there would probably be more hype based on us viewing his team-leading AHL year (ahead of all by 15 points and 11 goals). I’d rather try to develop the one dimensional side out of him then give away our best goal scoring prospect. Meanwhile I saw fans upset that we passed on Kaliyev.

Literally every team in the league could have had him for free and nobody wanted him. If we drafted him, we probably would be more hype, but that's because we also overhype our own prospects constantly.

Teemu Salami

Empty Ketchup Bottle
May 9, 2013
Orange County, CA
Literally every team in the league could have had him for free and nobody wanted him. If we drafted him, we probably would be more hype, but that's because we also overhype our own prospects constantly.
I understand that and i'm thrilled that none of them did because the kid put up 14 goals in 48 games and none of our other prospects have/had that ability. Keep developing him.

Reactions: 11Justin93

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I'm still not convinced he's being sent down. Guess we'll find out soon.
You may be right, but what is the value in continuing to keep him here? IMO, if he has any chance at all to become a worthwhile player he needs to play somewhere where he can make mistakes but really learn what to do and how to do it. We don't need him here that badly to give up on the only option we haven't been able to try yet. I think this is a great opportunity for him to potentially resurrect his career (assuming what he has done so far counts as a career).

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
You may be right, but what is the value in continuing to keep him here? IMO, if he has any chance at all to become a worthwhile player he needs to play somewhere where he can make mistakes but really learn what to do and how to do it. We don't need him here that badly to give up on the only option we haven't been able to try yet. I think this is a great opportunity for him to potentially resurrect his career (assuming what he has done so far counts as a career).
I think he'll be sent down after a few games if his all around game doesn't look impressive, but I think he'll get a shot in the NHL first.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Literally every team in the league could have had him for free IF they had the roster space to waive a player of their own. Teams are usually only picking up players that are clearly better than their own fringe players.

Edmonton is horrifically managed, so outside of them, all this means is that teams would rather try their own fringe players out and keep their young kids who might be going back to juniors on the roster. It doesn’t mean Sprong is a bust.

Reactions: ADHB and Exit Dose

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I think he'll be sent down after a few games if his all around game doesn't look impressive, but I think he'll get a shot in the NHL first.
Well, I'm convinced we've seen enough to know his all around game is more than a few more games from acceptable. I just think the more time he can play in SD the better chance there is that he can figure it out, which is beneficial to both him and us. I want to see him succeed.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
It doesn't mean he's a bust. It means he's a fringe player. The kind that everybody has and you can always get another one if you want one.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
GM Murray's gamble won. Someone in the first two pages (or around there) mentioned that Murray waited this late to pass Sprong through because most teams already had their roster set.

With so many people complaining about GM Murray's mismanagement and lacks foresight when Sprong was waived, will those same people give GM Murray praise for knowing how to game the system now that Sprong cleared the waiver? 30 teams had a chance at Sprong and none took the leap. The Ducks retain Sprong either as a development player or a trade asset.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Phew. Now they can let him grow in the AHL. Comtois/Lundestrom/Sprong will be one of the best AHL lines out there.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
GM Murray's gamble won. Someone in the first two pages (or around there) mentioned that Murray waited this late to pass Sprong through because most teams already had their roster set.

With so many people complaining about GM Murray's mismanagement and lacks foresight when Sprong was waived, will those same people give GM Murray praise for knowing how to game the system now that Sprong cleared the waiver? 30 teams had a chance at Sprong and none took the leap. The Ducks retain Sprong either as a development player or a trade asset.
I will give him credit for gambling with good odds and winning. He’s done the same thing in the past and lost though too, so I’m not going to give him any more credit than that.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I will give him credit for gambling with good odds and winning. He’s done the same thing in the past and lost though too, so I’m not going to give him any more credit than that.
True. Sometimes you win in russian roulette & sometimes you lose badly, he won here this time, next time a trade chip could get claimed.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->