Waived: Daniel Sprong (cleared)

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
Big minutes and contributing positively will do wonders for him, and hopefully the kid will learn and round out his game like the org. wants him to. But you can't teach drive, unfortunately.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Dineen coached a plethora of successful Duck prospects such as Getz, Perry, and Bobby Ryan. Dineen has been an NHL coach before too and wants to get back up eventually. Dineen can help Sprong two-fold if Sprong is willing. Sprong needs to know he's still young and can be more than he is now.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Is there any video interview of his demotion? I'd like to see his demeanor... when watching his demotion with the Penguins you can tell that he gave up and wanted to go elsewhere. I still think he can make it and is a better prospect than Ho Sang... but I guess you can't teach grit.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Is there any video interview of his demotion? I'd like to see his demeanor... when watching his demotion with the Penguins you can tell that he gave up and wanted to go elsewhere. I still think he can make it and is a better prospect than Ho Sang... but I guess you can't teach grit.

This is all I've seen. Sprong seems fairly level-headed here.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site

This is all I've seen. Sprong seems fairly level-headed here.

Great find, thanks!

Seems pretty up beat and sounds like he is fully committed to do well. I'm pretty sure he knows that he needs to come out of the gates hot so that other teams come calling to give him a shot. I'm not sure if he would pass through waivers when getting called up later in the season so hes likely going to be traded for a dman if he does do well.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Great find, thanks!

Seems pretty up beat and sounds like he is fully committed to do well. I'm pretty sure he knows that he needs to come out of the gates hot so that other teams come calling to give him a shot. I'm not sure if he would pass through waivers when getting called up later in the season so hes likely going to be traded for a dman if he does do well.
He isn't waiver eligible for a month due to passing through already I believe

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Also, there's no such thing as re-entry waivers anymore. We're free to call him back up, but he would have to go on waivers again if we were to send him back down after that.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
More importantly, I believe he can be left in the A all year and brought back up late in the season or when rosters expand without losing him. I really see no value in the Ducks calling him right back up for an injury replacement and starting the waiver clock again. Give him some time to play quality minutes and make mistakes while learning in the A that which he cannot learn in the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ducks DVM

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Wow, nice I forgot the waiver rules... if that’s the case then he’s got a few opportunity stages in the year... either have a great early jump the first month, or show steady improvement to be called up during roster expansion, or another team comes knocking. Plenty of motivation for him!

I’m happy to know that at least he’s showing better attitude than Ho Sang, plus unlike Ho Sang he already knows that he can dominate the AHL. Dineens definitely going to utilize him as he’s the Gulls best finisher. Poturalskk, De Leo, Pietila, Carrick, and Tropp are borderline 20 goal scorers... Sprong has the upside to be 30+.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I hope he scores a hatty tonight, I will be watching.

Reactions: cheesymc

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
In his interview, you can tell he's taking a professional approach when he said, "you don't know who's watching." This implies he knows he needs to show up every game now if he plans on making it to the NHL. Who is watching could be our GM or another GM inquiring, but it's all up to him. I'm pulling for him. He's got what many other players don't have - a great shot, but he needs to bring more b/c at the NHL one-trick ponies don't last unless you're a superstar one-trick pony like Selanne.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
He can be called up or sent down at will for 30 days from passing through waivers or he's on the active NHL roster for 10 games. After that he would have to pass through waivers again.
One addition - it’s not 30 days after going through waivers, it’s 30 cumulative days or 10 games ON the NHL roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad