Player Discussion Daniel Pribyl

Aug 21, 2014
giphy.gif

An injured Czech forward? Pretty sure I've seen this before.

I think you meant checking forward. Bouma was injured a lot this year....

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
When they ask at what point the team turned the corner on the way to the 20?? Stanley Cup, we can answer that it was this day.

Aug 3, 2010
Unsure about the level of competition in the Czech league, but the Flames could certainly use another strong middle-six wing option. Nice to see this kid has size, too, and the fact that he's a free asset is never a bad thing.

Czech Panarin?? :sarcasm:

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Treliving has compared Pribyl to Robert Lang. My take from that (and what I have read/heard) is it means he has size and skill, average speed and not very physical but not what one would call "soft".

Aug 3, 2010
Treliving has compared Pribyl to Robert Lang. My take from that (and what I have read/heard) is it means he has size and skill, average speed and not very physical but not what one would call "soft".

So Czech Colborne at worst? I can live with that especially on a 2-year "show me" contract. Wish he came over a couple seasons earlier, only because Hudler could've mentored him the way Lang mentored Hudler.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
So Czech Colborne at worst? I can live with that especially on a 2-year "show me" contract. Wish he came over a couple seasons earlier, only because Hudler could've mentored him the way Lang mentored Hudler.
Except Colborne hits and can actually skate, I know the group think surrounding Flames fans says otherwise, but he does hit and he can skate. I would say Lang was actually more like Hudler but with more size, thus I would guess Pribyl is in that vein as well. Honestly I am not overly optimistic about Pribyl, I think he may have the hands but if his skating was already suspect and he is undergoing ACL surgery it will be a very difficult road for him and Treliving is already saying Pribyl could start in Stockton to stop fans from expecting too much from him.

edit: for clarity I am saying the physicality/skating of Hudler

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Except Colborne hits and can actually skate, I know the group think surrounding Flames fans says otherwise, but he does hit and he can skate. I would say Lang was actually more like Hudler but with more size, thus I would guess Pribyl is in that vein as well. Honestly I am not overly optimistic about Pribyl, I think he may have the hands but if his skating was already suspect and he is undergoing ACL surgery it will be a very difficult road for him and Treliving is already saying Pribyl could start in Stockton to stop fans from expecting too much from him.

edit: for clarity I am saying the physicality/skating of Hudler

I would say that Colborne's skating is average at best and that is generous some nights. I will give you it has improved DRASTICALLY since he first arrived. It was genuinely painful then.

While Colborne improved on physicality in the second half of the season (again) it wasn't nearly as noticeable during the first half.

I realize I'm probably harder on him than necessary, but I just want consistent effort out of him, even if it doesn't result in points all the time. I would prefer a Colborne that puts up 30 points if he plays with the same intensity Bennett does over the 40+ point version we had that was invisible so many nights this year.

I know, again, if he wasn't invisible he would be a first liner but just there are nights where it seems all he does is turn over the puck in the offensive zone as soon as it hits his stick.

*rant over*

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I would say that Colborne's skating is average at best and that is generous some nights. I will give you it has improved DRASTICALLY since he first arrived. It was genuinely painful then.

While Colborne improved on physicality in the second half of the season (again) it wasn't nearly as noticeable during the first half.

I realize I'm probably harder on him than necessary, but I just want consistent effort out of him, even if it doesn't result in points all the time. I would prefer a Colborne that puts up 30 points if he plays with the same intensity Bennett does over the 40+ point version we had that was invisible so many nights this year.

I know, again, if he wasn't invisible he would be a first liner but just there are nights where it seems all he does is turn over the puck in the offensive zone as soon as it hits his stick.

*rant over*
Inconsistent or not Colborne was 2nd on the team in hits, Pribyl will not even come close to that. At best Prybil's physical play will be like Monahan, throws a hit about every other game but has the size and strength to take some punishment. There is simply no comparison to Colborne in that regard.

In terms of skating, Pribyl was considered an average skater in a much lesser league and he's going under the knife for ACL surgery, Colborne speed is a fantasy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->