Player Discussion Daniel O'Regan - F, UFA - Signed by the Rangers 7/1/19

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Jeff Skinner has 30 goals, and Reinhart is at almost a point a game, but ya, let's try freaking O'Regan and Erod on his line. I understand wanting to spread the wealth, but why do you want Eichel playing with 2 scrubs?
Probably because the team has lost more than they won lately. But yeah, everything is fine.

Reactions: pf8363

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Jeff Skinner has 30 goals, and Reinhart is at almost a point a game, but ya, let's try freaking O'Regan and Erod on his line. I understand wanting to spread the wealth, but why do you want Eichel playing with 2 scrubs?

Because having one viable scoring line and having two others getting their teeth kicked in is not helping them win games. People want to see the team win, not just have a EA Games single line that is dominant.

If the team is completely out of the playoff picture late in the season, why not experiment with different line combinations to see if something like this working to increase scoring depth throughout the lineup?

O'Regan-Eichel-ERod
Skinner-Mitts-Reinhart

Spreading it around just a bit so that they aren't murdered with the Mitts line? What a concept! Some sort of Skinner-Jack-(college teammate) and (Recall)-Mitts-Reinhart was what I was thinking, but the option of dragging Mitts into positive play with the two most dynamic wingers on the current roster is interesting.

Probably because the team has lost more than they won lately. But yeah, everything is fine.

It seems not only the players have become complacent about losing, but the fans have too.

Reactions: Rasmi

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Because having one viable scoring line and having two others getting their teeth kicked in is not helping them win games. People want to see the team win, not just have a EA Games single line that is dominant.

If the team is completely out of the playoff picture late in the season, why not experiment with different line combinations to see if something like this working to increase scoring depth throughout the lineup?

O'Regan-Eichel-ERod
Skinner-Mitts-Reinhart

Spreading it around just a bit so that they aren't murdered with the Mitts line? What a concept! Some sort of Skinner-Jack-(college teammate) and (Recall)-Mitts-Reinhart was what I was thinking, but the option of dragging Mitts into positive play with the two most dynamic wingers on the current roster is interesting.

It seems not only the players have become complacent about losing, but the fans have too.

pf8363

Feb 17, 2015
Why try that? Like, those three had any chemistry at one point or something. ;)
It really wasn't a situation where anyone would have produced with Eichel back then. For the first month of the season, Ahti Okskanen was the LW on that line with Eichel and O'Regan. They were a decent 1st line and the team was average. When Quinn switch Okskanen with Evan Rodrigues, that line exploded and took BU to what should have been a National Championship victory.

Tbh, Rodrigues could have very well have won the Hobey Baker over Eichel. I think he was like 4th in voting, and there were legitimate arguments to be made that he was more instrumental to that team's success then Eichel was. Granted, he was 22 and Jack was 18, but still.

The point is, those three really did have insane chemistry that raised the level of play of each individual. It wasn't just "oh Eichel was amazing and those other two were his linemates"

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It really wasn't a situation where anyone would have produced with Eichel back then. For the first month of the season, Ahti Okskanen was the LW on that line with Eichel and O'Regan. They were a decent 1st line and the team was average. When Quinn switch Okskanen with Evan Rodrigues, that line exploded and took BU to what should have been a National Championship victory.

Tbh, Rodrigues could have very well have won the Hobey Baker over Eichel. I think he was like 4th in voting, and there were legitimate arguments to be made that he was more instrumental to that team's success then Eichel was. Granted, he was 22 and Jack was 18, but still.

The point is, those three really did have insane chemistry that raised the level of play of each individual. It wasn't just "oh Eichel was amazing and those other two were his linemates"

Yep, and it's maddening that they don't ever try to see what sort of NHL-level chemistry/production they might be able to produce, even singularly -- Rodrigues has ridiculously low ToI with Jack at the NHL level and of course O'Regan has no time with either at the next level.. If they can fill in with some lesser regarded but productive players, spread the offense and positive play around to more than just one line, great.

Reactions: pf8363

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I find it funny how we've nearly gone out of our way to reunite O'Regan, Eichel, and Rodrigues, yet they haven't played anywhere near each other.

Reactions: Smile Ivan

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I've been pleading for ERod with Eichel for an extended look for years. I'd love to see ERod-Eichel-O'Regan/??? and Skinner/Mittelstadt/Reinhart

Hard to criticize Housley though because other NHL head coaches are no different than he is when it comes to experimentation. Maybe Dave Quinn would do it because he coached them and put the line together.

pf8363

Feb 17, 2015
Yep, and it's maddening that they don't ever try to see what sort of NHL-level chemistry/production they might be able to produce, even singularly -- Rodrigues has ridiculously low ToI with Jack at the NHL level and of course O'Regan has no time with either at the next level.. If they can fill in with some lesser regarded but productive players, spread the offense and positive play around to more than just one line, great.
Yeah, it was the most infuriating the last two seasons, when Eichel was getting minutes with guys like Foligno, Girgensons, etc. At that point, it felt like they were purposely keeping them apart.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC

I suppose now is a good time to bring up what we should be doing with O'Regan in the offseason. He's done very well with Olofsson and Asplund, putting up 19 goals, 26 assists for 45 points in the AHL. He's a UFA and it's uncertain if he will be with the organization next season.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario

I suppose now is a good time to bring up what we should be doing with O'Regan in the offseason. He's done very well with Olofsson and Asplund, putting up 19 goals, 26 assists for 45 points in the AHL. He's a UFA and it's uncertain if he will be with the organization next season.

Hasn't there been some rumours about him heading to Europe next year?

Would be nice to have him back but I don't know if he will be content in the AHL again which I would suspect be the plan from Buffalo management POV.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The commentary from Botterill that it would've been nice to get a look at O'Regan in meaningful minutes still infuriates me. You control that Botts. You do. If you wanted him to get some quality minutes, it is completely within your power.

Call him up and sit him, blowing one of the four post-deadline free recalls is stupid management.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
The commentary from Botterill that it would've been nice to get a look at O'Regan in meaningful minutes still infuriates me. You control that Botts. You do. If you wanted him to get some quality minutes, it is completely within your power.

Call him up and sit him, blowing one of the four post-deadline free recalls is stupid management.
We don't know that's what happened. I don't have any citations to support, but I do believe that teams can use emergency recalls when they have players who are game-time decisions provided that if the questionable player is able to play, and the team has enough healthy forwards (or defensemen or whatever), the player who was recalled on an emergency basis has to be scratched and sent down immediately (as an emergency condition no longer exists).
We know of one player who was a game-time decision for the game that O'Regan was called up for (although I cannot remember who). If there had been a second such player (and there would have had to be to create an emergency condition, as there was another forward healthy scratch for that game), then O'Regan could have been an emergency call-up, which would explain why he was a healthy scratch and was promptly sent back to Rochester: that's what would have had to have happened if he was an emergency call-up and the team ended up being able to ice twelve healthy forwards without him.
We do not know for certain that O'Regan was an emergency recall, as it requires information that we as fans do not have access to. However, the circumstantial evidence supports the idea. Barring some clarification from the media as to the nature of O'Regan's call-up, we do not have enough information to decide whether it was a mistake by management or not. I am inclined to believe, again due to the circumstantial evidence, that it was an emergency recall.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We don't know that's what happened. I don't have any citations to support, but I do believe that teams can use emergency recalls when they have players who are game-time decisions provided that if the questionable player is able to play, and the team has enough healthy forwards (or defensemen or whatever), the player who was recalled on an emergency basis has to be scratched and sent down immediately (as an emergency condition no longer exists).
We know of one player who was a game-time decision for the game that O'Regan was called up for (although I cannot remember who). If there had been a second such player (and there would have had to be to create an emergency condition, as there was another forward healthy scratch for that game), then O'Regan could have been an emergency call-up, which would explain why he was a healthy scratch and was promptly sent back to Rochester: that's what would have had to have happened if he was an emergency call-up and the team ended up being able to ice twelve healthy forwards without him.
We do not know for certain that O'Regan was an emergency recall, as it requires information that we as fans do not have access to. However, the circumstantial evidence supports the idea. Barring some clarification from the media as to the nature of O'Regan's call-up, we do not have enough information to decide whether it was a mistake by management or not. I am inclined to believe, again due to the circumstantial evidence, that it was an emergency recall.

I stand by the rest that being the guy who can call him up and tell the coach to play him is completely within his power. But the injury thing could very well be -- someone would have to ask the Big Head himself.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Is a one-way contract necessary to retain him, though? You could sign him to a two-way contract that pays him six figures in the minors and be giving him a raise. They paid Kyle Criscuolo $225k to play in Rochester this year. It certainly doesn't seem that would really be out of line for O'Regan, and it'd triple his AHL salary from last season. They could also sign him to a two-year deal that's two-way for year one and one-way for the second year. It's not like they haven't done that before.

If you offer O'Regan something along those lines and he's not interested, then so be it, but there are other options aside from a one-way contract.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The expression “dime a dozen” means that you could get a dozen like him for a dime. Implying that he’s worth less than a penny.

Amerks 20 goal scorers the past 7 seasons:

18-19 Olofsson C.Smith Redmond Simpson O'Regan
17-18 -none-
16-17 Baptiste Schneider Bailey
15-16 Bailey
14-15 -none-
13-14 Adam
12-13 Mancari

I wouldn't call him 'dime a dozen' in recent Amerks context at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad