Book Feature The Most Wonderful Times: Memories of New York Rangers Alumni (by Daniel Mahoney)

Trotsnj

Aug 26, 2020
Interesting. Do you know if Bun Cook also stood up to his older brother by himself or did he take in the criticism as something he had to endure? After all, Bill was his senior by quite a few years.
My impression was that he just took it. My feeling was that Bill was in control. He's the one who had the homestead out West and brought Bun with him after the war. Bun would have been a teenager then. I recall that, once their father died, he brought their mother out there as well.

In the interview, Bun actually says something like "you will have to ask Bill, his memory is much better than mine." So, even then, he was deferring to Bill.

Odd, then, that it was Bun who became the great AHL coach after retirement.

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
My impression was that he just took it. My feeling was that Bill was in control. He's the one who had the homestead out West and brought Bun with him after the war. Bun would have been a teenager then. I recall that, once their father died, he brought their mother out their as well.

In the interview, Bun actually says something like "you will have to ask Bill, his memory is much better than mine." So, even then, he was deferring to Bill.

Interesting dynamic between the brothers. In 1960s Soviet hockey, there were the Mayorov brothers. The superior player out of the two, Boris, was the often criticizing the other, Yevgeni, for not playing well, very much like Bill Cook vis-a-vis Bun Cook. But as opposed to Bun Cook, Yevgeni Mayorov didn't accept any criticism. He was even more a hothead than his brother, so the two were always cursing at each other when they were on the ice and they were often quarrelling on the bench. One time they even started to swing sticks at each other...

As opposed to the Cooks, however, the Mayorovs were twin brothers. Perhaps the age difference between the Cooks and the lack thereof between the Mayorov played a role.

Trotsnj

Aug 26, 2020
Interesting dynamic between the brothers. In 1960s Soviet hockey, there were the Mayorov brothers. The superior player out of the two, Boris, was the often criticizing the other, Yevgeni, for not playing well, very much like Bill Cook vis-a-vis Bun Cook. But as opposed to Bun Cook, Yevgeni Mayorov didn't accept any criticism. He was even more a hothead than his brother, so the two were always cursing at each other when they were on the ice and they were often quarrelling on the bench. One time they even started to swing sticks at each other...

As opposed to the Cooks, however, the Mayorovs were twin brothers. Perhaps the age difference between the Cooks and the lack thereof between the Mayorov played a role.

I can't picture Bun swinging a stick at Bill!

I've always wondered if WW I had something to do with their relationship. Bun would have been 12-13 when Bill left. Older brother away, being worried about him for 3-4 years, probably not knowing if he was still alive for long periods.

Then, he comes home a war hero. With Bill's strong personality, i wouldn't doubt if there was a little hero worship.

Bun did have a good memory though, more for the personal side of things. He told me Ching Johnson was worried about failing banks for a while, so he walked around with $5,000 in his pockets. He also remembered that Babe Ruth would go to games and talk to Bill afterwards. Lou Gehrig, though, took a liking to Bun. Bill went to a few Yankees games, but Bun never did. On the famous Patrick in nets game, though, he just assumed it was Bill and Frank's idea.

Bill, on the other hand remembered his time as a player. When I mentioned him scoring 33 goals in his first NHL season, he quickly pointed out he had 34 in a later season.

Then, for that Patrick game, he remembered the goal Lester gave up and giving him a dirty look after it. He also told me that Conn Smythe was present and offered to play goal that night for the Rangers. I don't remember hearing that anywhere else.

In either case, I wish I could have spent more time with them, but happy I did get a bit.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Do we know how much money NHL stars like Bill Cook, Howie Morenz, Eddie Shore etc were earning in the 1930s? Apparently the Rangers' farm team NY Rovers in the minor leagues paid their players $25 per week (equivalent of about $470 today) in the mid-1930s.

Reactions: Trotsnj

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I found this website - thanks for prompting me to look!

Bill Cook made 8,000 in 28-29. Lorne Chabot was paid 5,000.

Prehistoric Salaries

Great find!

So Bill Cook made the equivalent of 117k today. Breaking down the 8k by the 53 weeks of a year means he earned about $150 per week – six times what a minor league player earned. Still, very little compared to the salaries today.

Trotsnj

Aug 26, 2020
I
Great find!

So Bill Cook made the equivalent of 117k today. Breaking down the 8k by the 53 weeks of a year means he earned about $150 per week – six times what a minor league player earned. Still, very little compared to the salaries today.

I just checked. He would have paid only 3 to 5% in US Income tax on that. Probably no state tax, with none of the "Jock tax" either. Also, no agent fees!

Babe Ruth made 70 that year, Gehrig 25.

8,000 was probably a great salary back then.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Daniel, what would you say was the biggest change that Fred Shero implemented when he took over the New York Rangers in 1978? They immediately had the most successful season in quite some time once he was put in charge. Any specific moves on ice or off ice?

Trotsnj

Aug 26, 2020
Daniel, what would you say was the biggest change that Fred Shero implemented when he took over the New York Rangers in 1978? They immediately had the most successful season in quite some time once he was put in charge. Any specific moves on ice or off ice?

That's hard for me to say. I was away at college at the time in Plattsburgh, New York during pre-cable days. I saw a few of their games in Montreal that year, even Game 2 of the finals.

They seemed to be better defensively than under Talbot and Ferguson. Don Maloney, as a rookie, had a great year, especially in the playoffs. Other younger players, like Duguay, Deblois, McEwen and Pat Hickey matured and had good seasons. Greschner and Dave Maloney were now young veterans. Davidson, also, had a great year.

And, of course, the addition of Hedberg and Nillson added 60 goals to the team.

His biggest contribution was that he was a good tactician, studying films, developing strategies instead of motivating through fear.

I believe any team under Ferguson would have been tense, due to his personality. I was between the locker rooms one night after a Rangers-Winnipeg game in the mid-1980s when Ferguson wanted to fight Phil Esposito, then the Rangers GM. Esposito was shocked.

A lot like when the Rangers switched from Torts to Vigneault, he gave the players a calmer personality, so they could relax and play their best.

He was a bit lucky, too, because he had a good roster with those maturing younger players, great additions and some veterans, like Esposito, Vadnais, and Tkaczuk who provided good leadership.

But I think he brought stability, giving the players confidence in themselves. And his coaching skills enabled them to beat the Islanders, in the same way his Flyers beat Boston in 74. He told me he used the same plan on Potvin that neutralized Orr in 74.

He felt that Montreal was beatable in 79 because they weren't playing well. The key, unfortunately, was that Davidson was playing injured.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrhockey193195

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Some really interesting glimpses into New York Rangers history & personalities in this thread. Thanks a lot!

Trotsnj

Aug 26, 2020
@Theokritos

I was on a zoom call today that the Rangers had for season ticket holders. The guest was Ron Greschner. In his 16 seasons he had 12 coaches with the Rangers and six GMs. I told him his coaches ran the full personality spectrum, which made him laugh.

I asked him what coach he learned the most from and he said none, really, because no one was there long enough. But he did say, out of the twelve, that Shero was his favorite because he treated the players well and was so smart.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bear of Bad News

gotyournose

Oct 24, 2019
I don't know if you're answering more questions, but what did you think of Brad Park when he was with the Rangers?

Trotsnj

Aug 26, 2020
I don't know if you're answering more questions, but what did you think of Brad Park when he was with the Rangers?

@gotyournose
I really liked him. That 1970 team, which made the playoffs on the last day, might have finished first if he had not been injured. Great offensively, defensively and could also play rough.

I remember interviewing him once when he was on Detroit near the end of his career and he was so nice. One of those times when it felt like it was worth it to like him so much as a little kid.

The interview itself was on some nonsense topic I've forgotten.

Best quote I've ever heard from him was when someone asked him if he considers himself a Bruin or Ranger alumnus and he said "It depends what side of Hartford I'm on."

Last edited:
Reactions: mrhockey193195

gotyournose

Oct 24, 2019
@gotyournose
I really liked him. That 1970 team, which made the playoffs on the last day, might have finished first if he had not been injured. Great offensively, defensively and could also play rough.

I remember interviewing him once when he was on Detroit near the end of his career and he was so nice. One of those times when it felt like it was worth it to like him so much as a little kid.

The interview itself was on some nonsense topic I've forgotten.

Best quote I've ever heard from him was when someone asked him if he considers himself a Bruin or Ranger alumnus and he said "It depends what side of Hartford I'm on."

Which modern player does Brad Park remind you of? Always felt Park got disrespected. I have him just outside top 10 defenceman of all time. Always felt he got disrespected because he was second to Bobby Orr. He may have been second, but he was a helluva of a defenceman. Also the no Stanley Cup issue which was never his fault. You win cups with defenceman like Park, not without.

Trotsnj

Aug 26, 2020
#gotyournose

I agree. Great all around defenseman. He always seemed to be number two, though. Orr dominated those early years, then Potvin and Robinson stepped up.

The game has changed so much since then that I have trouble comparing the eras. Just seems like there is no room to breathe out there anymore.

Been thinking on your question- the only one who comes to mind is Shea Weber. He has a good shot, scores goals, good defensively and can play tough. There may be others out west, but I only see them once or twice a year, so hard to judge.

Like you say, people tend to click off the Stanley Cup to mark "greatness." That would leave off Bill Gadsby, though, and many others who had great careers.

He came close, in 72 and with those Bruins teams who just couldn't beat Montreal.

Not sure if you know this or if Park mentions it in that book from a few years ago.

Don Cherry would never tell two things about the Bruins from those days. One was the player who tore up the hotel room when Espo was traded to the Rangers- everyone knows that was Cashman.

Second was the player who was the extra man on the ice at the end of game 7 vs Montreal in 1979. Boston was up by one. Lafleur scored on the power play and Montreal won in OT. We all took turns asking Cherry and he'd never tell. Even in his book, Grapes, he doesn't reveal it.

Well, just ask Mike Milbury and he'll come right out and say "it was Park."

I remember running into Park at MSG in March 2004, right after the Rangers traded Leetch. He smiled when I told him that I tell people that Leetch wasn't the only number two the Rangers should never have traded.

Which modern player does Brad Park remind you of? Always felt Park got disrespected. I have him just outside top 10 defenceman of all time. Always felt he got disrespected because he was second to Bobby Orr. He may have been second, but he was a helluva of a defenceman. Also the no Stanley Cup issue which was never his fault. You win cups with defenceman like Park, not without.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->