Celebrity Death: Daniel Johnston (singer/songwriter) 58

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He had a very unique sound, really enjoyed some of his stuff, he had to battle mental illness as he had bi-polar and schizophrenia. He signed a record deal while in a mental hospital. There's a documentary about him, didn't see it yet but I heard it talks about the plane crash, while flying on a small plane with his dad after a show, he took the keys and threw them out the window mid air.

You might not have ever heard of him but you likely have heard one of his songs, The Story of an Artist, as it was on an apple commercial.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
aw, man. That sucks. I came to him through that documentary, The Devil and Daniel Johnston, several years ago and really liked his stuff before losing track of him a bit. Hope he's found the peace he deserves. And is still making music.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Came in to post a thread about this, thinking there wouldn't be one. Very happy to see it's already here.

A real tortured artistic genius, an amazing songwriter, not all that well-known, but immensely respected by his peers. Beside The Story of an Artist (one of the saddest songs ever), I think his most well-known song must be Devil Town (another downer, nicely covered by Bright Eyes and featured - another cover - as part of the Friday Night Live soundtrack).

My personal favorite was one of his lighter ones, Everlasting Love.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I haven't listened to all his albums, mostly just the early stuff. I have 9 of his songs on playlist,

The story of an artist
True love will find you in the end
Some things last a long time
Honey I sure miss you
Cold hard world
Girl of my dreams
Do you really love me
I had a dream
You hurt me

there's a good cover I found,

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I haven't listened to all his albums, mostly just the early stuff. I have 9 of his songs on playlist,

The story of an artist
True love will find you in the end
Some things last a long time
Honey I sure miss you
Cold hard world
Girl of my dreams
Do you really love me
I had a dream
You hurt me

there's a good cover I found,

Of course, people from Montreal have excellent taste.

Reactions: montreal

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Meh. I wish the city would get over (and especially my neighborhood) its obessesion with Leonard Cohen...

Guilty! I love Cohen. And don't tell me this is not beautiful!!

mu-organisme-murale-tower-of-songs-de-el-mac-gene-pendon.jpg

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Meh. I wish the city would get over (and especially my neighborhood) its obessesion with Leonard Cohen...

I'm in the states but Cohen is f***ing great.

In My Secret Life
The Stranger
Everybody Knows
Waiting for the Miracle
Coming back to you
Dance me to the end of love
I'm your man
the future
hallelujah

love those songs, such great lyrics

Ad

Upcoming events